Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2860943 07/14/15 01:47 PM
F
OP Offline
F
I was listening to the radio show yesterday and heard Dr Harley mention that he had names for various personality types. The one mentioned was the "Ejector Seat" personality. I've also read about the "Electric Fence" personality type in the articles section.

I'm curious if he has done any writing on this subject that anyone knows about? I thought it was an interesting subject and would like to hear about some of the other types that he has encountered over the years.

Last edited by FightTheFight; 07/14/15 01:47 PM.

Me (42)
Her (43) - feuillecouleur

DS(11)
DD(7)

Married: June 24, 2000

Recovered
B
B
I also thought that was very useful information! Hope Dr Harley will consider writing more on this type of thing.

Married to Pearlseeker for 13 yrs
J
J
Originally Posted by buildsherhouse
I also thought that was very useful information! Hope Dr Harley will consider writing more on this type of thing.

There are volumes of books written on personality types.

M
M
Originally Posted by FightTheFight
I was listening to the radio show yesterday and heard Dr Harley mention that he had names for various personality types. The one mentioned was the "Ejector Seat" personality. I've also read about the "Electric Fence" personality type in the articles section.

I'm curious if he has done any writing on this subject that anyone knows about? I thought it was an interesting subject and would like to hear about some of the other types that he has encountered over the years.

The only writing I know on the subject is in Buyers, Renters, and Freeloaders, which mentions the Electric Fence personality. I have heard him talk about the ejector seat thing before, and I believe it's a behavior of the electric fence personality type.

I think Dr. Harley tends to steer clear of these sometimes because they can be taken by some people to conclude that their marital partner is unchangeable and nobody can have a good marriage with them.

You might be aware of Dr. Harley's personality test; it's not published anywhere, but you would have taken it when you started the online program. This has been mentioned a couple of times on the radio show. From what I've gathered, the higher your score on this test, the more impulsive you'll be and the harder it will be to coach you. My score on this test is astronomical. laugh

I think high scores on that test correspond to electric fence, high anxiety. I think it mainly comes down to "can you control yourself and stick to a plan?"

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
J
J
Clearly, if your spouse has Chainsaw Massacre personality type, there is a problem

J
J
Lorena Bobbit personality disorder is also one to avoid at all costs

F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by markos
I think Dr. Harley tends to steer clear of these sometimes because they can be taken by some people to conclude that their marital partner is unchangeable and nobody can have a good marriage with them.

I had the same thought as he seemed to be a little hesitant to even get into it. Nevertheless I found it very interesting and I'm sure that's something he picks up on and keeps in the back of his mind when dealing with clients. I was thinking it could be useful along those lines to have a general reference to work from when dealing with other people.

Originally Posted by markos
You might be aware of Dr. Harley's personality test; it's not published anywhere, but you would have taken it when you started the online program. This has been mentioned a couple of times on the radio show. From what I've gathered, the higher your score on this test, the more impulsive you'll be and the harder it will be to coach you. My score on this test is astronomical. laugh

I think high scores on that test correspond to electric fence, high anxiety. I think it mainly comes down to "can you control yourself and stick to a plan?"

Yes we took the test. I honestly don't really remember much about it and wasn't told much about how I scored. I'm probably not qualified to interpret it anyway. smile Like you said I'm sure it's more for internal use.

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
F
OP Offline
F
Originally Posted by Jedi_Knight

Unless you need a cheap operation...

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
M
M

Elliot Rodger type is another good one to pass on.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
F
OP Offline
F

Very true. However I am a fan of Dr Harley's ability to explain things so I can understand them. smile

Me (42)

DS(11)
DD(7)

Recovered
A
A
LOL at Jedi and markos. You guys are awesome. laugh

I personally find Lot's Wife personality disorder to be problematic, unless you have a snowy driveway to worry about.

Lizzy Borden personality disorder should also be avoided.

Happily remarried to wonderful woman who I found using the guidelines in "Buyers, Renters, Freeloaders"
2 baby boys, working on #3 and couldn't ask for anything more.

When my ex's affair happened: BH 28, Ex-WW:29
Married: 7 years
Together: 8 years
D-day: 10/5/2014
D filed: 1/22/2015
D Final: 6/4/2015

My story
B
B
Originally Posted by FightTheFight

Very true. However I am a fan of Dr Harley's ability to explain things so I can understand them. smile

Yes. And I trust him to give advice on how to respectfully use that knowledge to live well with your spouse.

Married to Pearlseeker for 13 yrs

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 758 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation