Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
Hi fellow MBers,

I am in urgent need of help and thought perhaps i can get some good advice more quickly on the forums. In the long email to MB radio i hope to get some advice there too. Still waiting for a response.

I have read many posts, so let me get some facts out of the way before i go into the story.

Am i married to my other half? Ans: We are engaged but not legally married yet.
Do we have any children? Ans: No.

So here's my story in summary:

I have proposed to my fiance last year March, but due to her grandfather sudden passing, we have put our wedding on hold as her father is traditional and wants us to mourn for at least 2 - 3 years. Currently, she is emotionally involved with a male co-worker at the same time escalated to the Withdrawal state of mind with regards to me. Now she insists that she has broken up with me and wants to call off the wedding. While she has not announced it to most of our family and friends yet, she is not planning to cut ties with the co-worker and prevents me from making any love deposits. I think my love bank account has been "frozen".

I was anxious and did something rash before reading enough forum posts. My original belief was that she is already my wife when she accepted my wedding ring and engagement. I went ahead with exposure, although i used the words " close relationship " instead of "affair". I've also mentioned for them to take action when she announces the break up.

Her brother and mother are encouraging and supportive of me, which gives me the motivation to continue to try winning her back.

Since we are not legally married yet, and she is not willing to cut ties with the co-worker yet, do you think i still stand a chance? If so, what are your recommendations for me to approach it?

Thank you.

M
M
My recommendation would be to thank the good Lord you found this out before you got married and move on. Dating is a job interview for marriage. She has clearly chosen another man and has checked out of your relationship.

I would wish her well and move onto more appropriate candidates.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by Recovery101
I have proposed to my fiance last year March, but due to her grandfather sudden passing, we have put our wedding on hold as her father is traditional and wants us to mourn for at least 2 - 3 years.

She's feeding you a line.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
OP Offline
R
First of all, thank you MelodyLane and markos for the prompt replies. I am very grateful as I really needed the second opinion.

I read many of the forum posts and am convinced that both of you give sound advices. In fact, once I became enlightened with the fact that me and her are technically not married yet, I am torn between moving on and staying on. My relationship with her goes back slightly more than 10 years (with a 2 year gap), and i never felt the same feeling of love for her to any other girls.

And to clarify, the part about her father is valid. I did talked to him face to face about making plans for the wedding to take place after the mourning period but he was so upset about it i couldn't bring it up.

A
A
So her father's wishes were more important than your marriage? Run while you can my friend. This is not a family you want in your life.

A
A
And you haven't spent enough time with another girl to fall in love. Read Dr. Harley's Fall in Love, Stay in Love. Date many more women. You will find one to love that won't put her family before you.

Last edited by apples123; 10/12/15 09:48 PM.
R
OP Offline
R
Thank you apples123 for the advice! Really appreciate all the advices so far.

I fully understand all the good intentions but being one of the parties involved i'm sure you can understand how tough it is for me to stay objective.

I welcome more comments and advices while i spend more time thinking through and reading up more.

Thank you.

B
B

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
Hi BrainHurts, thank you for pointing me to the reading. I have read it before i made my first post.

My interpretation is that i am a Buyer but she has remained a Renter.

R
OP Offline
R
I have bought the book Buyers, Renters & Freeloaders for a more in-depth understanding. Just completed the first few chapters, and to my surprise, my ex-fiance has in fact already moved from Renter to Freeloader.

B
B
Originally Posted by Recovery101
I have bought the book Buyers, Renters & Freeloaders for a more in-depth understanding. Just completed the first few chapters, and to my surprise, my ex-fiance
has in fact already moved from Renter to Freeloader.
So is this a woman you want to be with?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

R
OP Offline
R
So when a Buyer and Freeloader are in a romantic relationship, the most sensible solution, which is to end the relationship with the Freeloader, is not an alternative. That leaves only two other reasonable options. One is to convert the Freeloader back into a Buyer, restoring their mutual care. The other is to convert the Buyer into a Renter or Freeloader, which then allows him or her to leave the relationship.

I heeded the advice from fellow MBers and also finished reading the book. I was able to get myself out of the Buyers agreement few days back. The engagement ring i wore for so long was like the ring from Lord of the Rings. It took me a long time to overcome the urge to keep it on, but once it was off, i felt the burden lifted off my shoulders.

I stopped contact with her for 3 days straight, picked up a new hobby that i always wanted to try, and had dinners with other girls. It was honestly liberating.

Perhaps it was the wrong thing to do, but i did contact her yesterday. If she does not cease contact with the guy and/or do not show signs of heading towards a Buyers agreement, i will only adopt either a Renter or Freeloader agreement. Another important factor is that i must see that she is willing to follow the Policy of Joint Agreement.

Please continue to drop by for comments / feedback / advices. Thank you.

B
B
Why did you break NC?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
2 members (2 invisible), 476 guests, and 72 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation