Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
lostva Offline OP
OP Offline
L
How's this for off the subject!?!?!?!?<P>OK, here's the situation. PT's been accused of being pg. (25# weight gain) All of a sudden she's dropped 10# but still saying she feels terrible. <BR>Symptoms: Tenderness and some swelling below naval, weight gain, intense exterior vaginal discomfort (even water hurts.) H finally got fed up and talked to SIL. She made her an appt for yesterday w/ gyn. It was cancelled. So, PT said to satisfy every one she went to the emergency room -alone<BR>Diagnosis (per PT): Ovarian cyst. But everything's ok now because the dr in the emergency room "burst" it and she'll be fine. No meds, no followup.<P>Now I got me one of them there things - just a nuisance really - always had it. My gyn just leaves it alone. My question: Symptons sound right for diagnosis (especially exterior part)? Would diagnosis and aspiration take place right there? How invasive is aspiration?<P>OK, just curious. None of my business, I know, but MIL called to ask me and I couldn't tell her.<P>Thanks, Lori

F
F
IMHO that's just nuts.<P>I had one that ruptured and I lost half of my blood internally. Pain worse than childbirth. Much worse.<P>I could be wrong, but you can't burst those things in the ER. You need surgury to have them removed.<P>You are right, though, the symtoms sound about right. Please follow up on this.<P>------------------<BR>Faith, Hope, Love Remain,<BR>but the greatest of these is Love.<BR>1 Corinthians 13:13

Z
Z
Ovarian Cysts require surgery. That's not some sort of pimple you are dealing with. It is dangerous and life threatening if not handled properly. The ER is no place for it.<BR>Flip

B
B
hmmm, sounds like someone has had too many poptarts with bacon. Me thinks it has affected her brain. <P>Really, who is she trying to fool. It maybe that she had a barthalonen (sp) cyst. These are on the outside of the vigina. However any time an internal cyst ruptures there has to be a clean up done. And meds need to follow or you are looking at a bad infection.<P>What a ditz !<P>------------------<BR>Just call me - Deb<BR>------------------------<BR>The only day I can do anything about is today, yesterday is gone, tomorrow is not yet mine.<P>

C
C
An ovarian cyst can be malignant or benign. Even if it is benign, it takes testing to figure that out. No, they don't "burst" it. They would do some more testing and if removed, would require an invasive laparotomy. It would be at least a one-day surgery and not normally done immediately after a trip to ER. She could have an ectopic pregancy, which, when diagnosed would be immediately removed. This again, would require surgery which would at least be an overnight stay if she went to ER at night. I think she is probably lying, so I would try to catch her. Ask her if the cyst was cancerous or not. Ask to see her scar from where they "burst" it. Just a thought.<P>------------------<BR>Rachel :)<P>

L
lostva Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, Guys. My gyn always watches mine - had in on the left ovary since my first exam. She always told me if it changed, it would require surgery. However, Sweetie's stuff seemed a little weird. MIL felt that either she didn't go, or she's lying about the diagnosis. But all in all, it didn't make sense.<P>Lori

M
M
Hi Lostva,<P>With the syptomology you described it almost sounds like a UTI. With the burning upon urination, not likes flames shooting out or anything, but my guess is definately urinary tract infection. I believe the weight gain/loss is totally unrelated.<P>In the hospitals in our area, if it was a cyst, it would most certainly NOT be taken care of in an ER. The docs would have sent her to an OB/GYN for follow up. They take the GOMER attitude for stuff like that. [Get Out of My ER].<P>Ask what meds are prescribed. If it's an antibiotic, ding ding. UTI.<P>Well thats my DX. Where shall I send the bill?<P>Wishing us all the Best.<P>Medic

L
lostva Offline OP
OP Offline
L
That's the kicker. No meds. No followup. She says all symptoms are gone, they told her she'd be fine, nothing wrong once they took care of it.<P>MIL says "This B is lying."<P>I might have been born at night........!<P>Lori

S
S
My wife has had two ovarian cysts. Extremely intense pain sometimes. Both required surgery within one month of diagnosis. Second surgery they removed one of the tubes. <P>If it was a cyst and it did burst, she had better get into surgery pronto. Without surgery, she looking at serious infection possibilities. You just don't let those things go.<P>She should get a second opinion in a hurry.<P>SHA

S
S
maybe she aborted... <P>NOT a blushing gent [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

S
S
Hi Lostva -<P>I don't know enough info to make a judgement call on this but I have to say that Stonehenge related what crossed through my mind!!<P>HUGS,<P>Sheba

W
W
Lori - If I were you, I think I'd follow the advice of my gynecologist. If S/he says leave it alone, it's probably safe to leave it alone. Cysts can sometimes even go away by themselves, just dissolve. Had one in the middle of my back last year that did just that. It was huge and painful as hell and I thought I was going to have to have it removed. But I started imagining it going away and amazingly enough (to me, dr and W) it did. The only treatment I had was some antibiotic caps because it had become infected.<P>My philosophy about medical treatment (since I hate going to dr or dentist) is: "If it ain't broke don't fix it." (Or even, in your case, if it ain't broke too bad don't fix it.) Nearly every one I know who's had an optional operation (mostly back and joint surgery, true) has told me that they felt worse for a LONG time afterwards. So, sure, if it's an emergency or life-threatening, but otherwise not. Try healing yourself first. Whatever happens, good luck with it! Regards and blessings,<P>--Wex

A
A
Lostva, I looked up every possible VD when my H first confessed his infidelity and, if my memory serves me correctly, the symptoms sound similar to chlamydia. She could have passed it onto your H and that is why he says that he "can't" (rather than doesn't want to)come home. See what you can find on the internet about VD, it might be helpful. Good Luck to you!

C
cl Offline
C
HI lostva,<BR>is PT the OW? Sorry I cannot remember.<BR>Ovarian cysts...interesting little things. I will disagree with what some here have said regarding dx and tx.<BR>They can be quite small or HUGE. One removed at Stanford was 140#-course we are talking record breaking on that. I did not believe it til I read the report. What a way to loose weight huh?<BR>Anyway, they can be quite painful depending on where they are located, size, and what other structures they irritate, if any. But I have never seen one cause exterior discomfort at all. Malaise-yes. Many women have them and are only diagnosed because of another issue. If the gyn feels a mass during an exam, he may follow with an ultrasound to verify that it is fluid in that sac, grossly reducing the odds that anything in there is malignant.<BR>Ways to get rid of the buggers: surgery, ocp's, spontaneous rupture. This is not something that can be aspirated in the ER! The cyst can rupture spontaneoulsy, during sex or during a vaginal exam. This would usually be followed by a laparoscopy to determine if the site is bleeding-stop bleeding cauterize cyst site and everyone is happy.<BR>What you describe may be a uti, like medic said, but I would look for other causes such as std (including herpes), or yeast. Wt gain could hapen with any of the above for a few reasons-maybe the infection has affected the cycle and is more fluid than anything else. May have an ovarian cyst in addition to another issue that would cause external pain. Maybe pg with yeast infection , which s pretty common due to change in hormones. Maybe she is just getting fat?

L
lostva Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks for jumping in everyone.<P>SHA - consistant w/ the reports from my SIL concerning hers. Thanks.<P>Stonehenge - I read your "funny" thread - definitely not a "blushing" gent. Your hypothesis is the first one that crossed my and MIL's mind. Kinda fits w/ H's "There's more to it than just walking out" line.<P>Sheba - ditto.<P>Wex - oh me and my cyst are just fine. Lived w/ each other for years and years now. As long as it behaves, I figure it's part of me!! <P>Angelface - AHHH - never thought about that. Don't know a thing in the world about vd's. I'm gonna check into it though.<P>cl - thanks for the input. Passing all this wonderful info on to MIL. Either h is lying (huge surprise there, right?) or PT is lying (shock!) or both. But funny that H got the appt and someone to go with her, but SHE got out of it and went somewhere else alone.....<P>Lori

T
Taj Offline
T
I'm a former ER nurse......sounds like a snow-job to me!!!!!!1<P>------------------<BR>eyes wide open<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Taj (edited November 09, 1999).]

L
lostva Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks Taj. That was OUR opinion too. We just didn't have real facts to base it on.<P>Lori

A
A
Lostva, here's a link that I found for you<BR> <A HREF="http://h-devil-www.mc.duke.edu/h-devil/stds/cmydia.htm" TARGET=_blank>http://h-devil-www.mc.duke.edu/h-devil/stds/cmydia.htm</A>

L
lostva Offline OP
OP Offline
L
Thanks, Angelface. I just checked it out and printed it off. You know, he ASKED me about how to get tested......it was a while back though.<P>HMMMMMM<P>Lori

L
L
Here's my cyst history:<BR>A year ago I had pain in my abdomen, went to Family practice doc who found a cyst, made the appt in 2 weeks for an ultrasound, then rechecked that day by a GYN. I was prescribed the birth control pill. Was on it 2 months, went back for ultrasound--the first cyst was gone, but I had one on the other side. No more pill, sent home. Recheck in 2 months. All clear.<P>No "burstin'" suggested by anyone, including the ever-helpful janitorial staff. "I had me a cyst, big as football."<P>Dopey...er...Sweetie may be a fruitcake, but she's really a liar. Too much fat & sugar in her diet, I suspect...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation