Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
S
Originally Posted by Caroleena
So DH deleted the picture, and we said nothing more of it. This morning I had the oddest hunch that he and the sister had been emailing each other (don�t know why � maybe I am psychic!) and so I asked him if he had been. He said yes, that he had been emailing with her and also another (male) family member who had recently come back into the fold. I asked him if he and she had been emailing just the two of them and he said yes, just �how was your day� type of things. (Maybe twelve times or so!) And that he really just saw it as family reconnecting.

I want to point out here that you were upset about the affectionate pictures of these two, your H quickly deleted the picture but failed to mention the emailing between the two of them. That is really another big red flag. That would have been the time to bring it up.

Did you ever see these emails with your own eyes?

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
Parallel Parenting in Plan B
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SusieQ
OK I will give that option serious thought.
That's good that he doesn't have a smartphone. Do you have the password to his email account/s (the ones that you know about)? Yes

In the meantime, I exposed the communications to my SIL (DH's brother's wife), who was there at the get together two weeks ago. She said that although she did NOT feel DH's interactions with the woman were inappropriate (SIL has a strong personality and would have had no qualms to insert herself between the two and announce that DH's wife was at work today, etc.), she could see that the woman seemed to have a problem with boundaries (with SIL, not DH) and that she was a bit mentally unstable.

This shouldn't make you feel any better about the situation.

The SIL's description doesn't change the fact that
~ you saw a picture with your own two eyes of him with his arms around this woman
~ that he was excited when talking about her, was excited about the pictures he had of her
~ that he stayed late at the party
~ and that he started emailing privately with her without telling you about it

Most women want to villify the OP. It doesn't matter if she's a skank or she was unstable or if she started it or was the pursuer. Almost every person that posts here wants to believe that. It really doesn't matter.

yes, I know and agree. I try to spread the blame to everyone involved, not just the OP. My part was not being there due to work and my reclusive nature (I don't naturally enjoy get togethers, have to steel myself to go, would rather be home with a good book. That is one reason why I allowed the every Sunday work schedule. But I realize that it is important for us to present a united front and for him to know I care enough to be there despite my reticence.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SusieQ
So DH deleted the picture, and we said nothing more of it. This morning I had the oddest hunch that he and the sister had been emailing each other (don�t know why � maybe I am psychic!) and so I asked him if he had been. He said yes, that he had been emailing with her and also another (male) family member who had recently come back into the fold. I asked him if he and she had been emailing just the two of them and he said yes, just �how was your day� type of things. (Maybe twelve times or so!) And that he really just saw it as family reconnecting.

I want to point out here that you were upset about the affectionate pictures of these two, your H quickly deleted the picture but failed to mention the emailing between the two of them. That is really another big red flag. That would have been the time to bring it up.

Did you ever see these emails with your own eyes?

No

P
P
yes, I know and agree. I try to spread the blame to everyone involved, not just the OP. My part was not being there due to work and my reclusive nature (I don't naturally enjoy get togethers, have to steel myself to go, would rather be home with a good book. That is one reason why I allowed the every Sunday work schedule. But I realize that it is important for us to present a united front and for him to know I care enough to be there despite my reticence.

The answer is not to go when you would rather stay home. The answer is to find an alternative activity that you both will greatly enjoy. DO NOT SACRIFICE.

Have you read His Needs, Her Needs? Have you read about the POJA?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

S
S
(I don't naturally enjoy get togethers, have to steel myself to go, would rather be home with a good book. That is one reason why I allowed the every Sunday work schedule. But I realize that it is important for us to present a united front and for him to know I care enough to be there despite my reticence.

Here is yet more evidence that you know very little about Marriage Builders.

No, it is not important for you to be there despite your reticence. If you are reticent, you should not go, and neither should your husband go without you.

Do you know why I say that?

BW
Married 1989
His PA 2003-2006
2 kids.
M
M
[

Caroleena, one thing that really stands out here is that you are not familiar with the MB program. Do you have any of the books? One critical element of undivided attention time is to make sure it is spent doing things you BOTH like. If you don't enjoy get togethers, the solution is not to make a sacrifice and go, but to find something to do you BOTH like. IF you start doing things you don't like, you will soon not want to do anything with him. MAke sure you are planning dates that you will both enjoy.

You have been here a long time so I just assumed you had read the books. Which books do you have?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

U
U
Anything else I should be doing?

Yes, you should be snooping on your husband.

There are many things about your story that show the first steps of an EA....his lying by omission by not telling you about the emails (until you asked), deleting their communications without being transparent about them, talking about needing friends (this is the start to gaslighting you into believing that it is totally rational for him to have this person as a 'friend')...

Affairs are addictions. This may just be at the attraction stage, but that addictive nature is already present. It is very possible that he is drawn to further communication, even though he knows it would bother you. And of course next time, he would likely hide it more than he did the first time. The only way to know for certain if he has or not is to snoop on him.

Privacy does not really exist in good marriages, by the way. I welcome my spouse to look at my phone, email, or anything he wants to at any time. I welcome the opportunity to show that I am trustworthy, and calm him if he were to have any suspicions. If your husband does not feel the same this is another red flag.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

Caroleena, one thing that really stands out here is that you are not familiar with the MB program. Do you have any of the books? One critical element of undivided attention time is to make sure it is spent doing things you BOTH like. If you don't enjoy get togethers, the solution is not to make a sacrifice and go, but to find something to do you BOTH like. IF you start doing things you don't like, you will soon not want to do anything with him. MAke sure you are planning dates that you will both enjoy.

You have been here a long time so I just assumed you had read the books. Which books do you have?

I don't have any of them. But I am willing to read. Love to read, actually.
The problem is this. One of his needs is to be able to socialize with other people (with me there) from time to time: friends, family, etc. It is very difficult for me to do this and feel comfortable. I am introverted to an extreme degree, and I really don't think it is fair that DH should be denied going to family/friend gatherings once a month or so, just because I have such a distaste for it. The people we interact with are fine - they are friendly, kind, etc. - it is just me with the issue. How can I expect anyone to give up such a basic need for family ties just because I isolate myself with everyone except my closest friend or two, and my Dad?

Also, we do have one full day each week doing things together that we enjoy - usually outdoors. So we do have that.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Prisca

The answer is not to go when you would rather stay home. The answer is to find an alternative activity that you both will greatly enjoy. DO NOT SACRIFICE.

Have you read His Needs, Her Needs? Have you read about the POJA?

No - I guess I'll need to start reading.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by SugarCane
(I don't naturally enjoy get togethers, have to steel myself to go, would rather be home with a good book. That is one reason why I allowed the every Sunday work schedule. But I realize that it is important for us to present a united front and for him to know I care enough to be there despite my reticence.

No, it is not important for you to be there despite your reticence. If you are reticent, you should not go, and neither should your husband go without you.

yes, I do based on the other's replies. I just don't think that it is fair for me to subject DH to (what I perceive as) my disability when it comes to normal socializing.

C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by unwritten

There are many things about your story that show the first steps of an EA....his lying by omission by not telling you about the emails (until you asked), deleting their communications without being transparent about them, talking about needing friends (this is the start to gaslighting you into believing that it is totally rational for him to have this person as a 'friend')...

Affairs are addictions. This may just be at the attraction stage, but that addictive nature is already present. It is very possible that he is drawn to further communication, even though he knows it would bother you. And of course next time, he would likely hide it more than he did the first time. The only way to know for certain if he has or not is to snoop on him.

Privacy does not really exist in good marriages, by the way. I welcome my spouse to look at my phone, email, or anything he wants to at any time. I welcome the opportunity to show that I am trustworthy, and calm him if he were to have any suspicions. If your husband does not feel the same this is another red flag.

I do have all his passwords and he is very open with his phone, etc. It is me who feels a bit awkward going that distance, but I think I can get over that.

P
P
yes, I do based on the other's replies. I just don't think that it is fair for me to subject DH to (what I perceive as) my disability when it comes to normal socializing.
I am introverted, too, and find it a little offensive for you to call that a "disability." It's not. And to continue to sacrifice for your husband by doing things that you do not enjoy will destroy your marriage.

Your marriage is more important than continuing to go to family events that you do not enjoy.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

M
M
Originally Posted by SugarCane

Let's leave fair out of it ...

The Marriage Builders program will fix your marital problems if you follow it.

But what you're telling us is you're not going to follow this part.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
C
OP Offline
C
Originally Posted by Prisca
I am introverted, too, and find it a little offensive for you to call that a "disability." It's not. And to continue to sacrifice for your husband by doing things that you do not enjoy will destroy your marriage.

Your marriage is more important than continuing to go to family events that you do not enjoy.

Understand your point, but my introversion is such that it has prevented me many times throughout the last 40 years to enjoy normal social interactions. Instead I am filled with dread and foreboding. So I really don't think that you understand the degree to which I am afflicted; because if you did, my calling it a disability would make more sense to you. I have wanted to overcome this propensity my whole life.

Regardless, I agree that my marriage is most important here. I will muddle through somehow!

S
S
Originally Posted by unwritten

I do have all his passwords and he is very open with his phone, etc. It is me who feels a bit awkward going that distance, but I think I can get over that.

Did he delete those emails? If so I missed that.

It makes absolutely no sense to me that you would not check the emails. I remember my sister being suspicious and telling me to snoop and I felt uneasy about it because I remember thinking to myself, oh no, he would NEVER do anything like that...but as soon as I knew there were, in fact, communications with another woman I had no problem checking. I wanted to know exactly what was going on.

I don't get the reluctance - you are posting in SAA so you seem to acknowledge that your H was crossing some lines.

Would you prefer not to know how far this got?
Don't you think it's important to verify that the contact as, in fact, stopped?

Last edited by SusieQ; 04/18/16 04:51 PM.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
M
M
The problem is this. One of his needs is to be able to socialize with other people (with me there) from time to time: friends, family, etc.

The definition of an emotional "need" - in this context - is something that your SPOUSE meets in order to make lovebank deposits. What your H is doing here is getting his needs met OUTSIDE of marriage. That defeats the purpose. He needs to find a recreation that you BOTH enjoy. Since oyu don't enjoy socializing, you should not do this.

Also, we do have one full day each week doing things together that we enjoy - usually outdoors. So we do have that.

Do you imagine that you could keep a JOB if you only went there one day each week? I seriously doubt that. One day a week is not near enough to sustain a marriage. Also, it is better to go on 4 - 4 hour dates instead of lumping all this time together. Being together ALL DAY LONG is exhausting for even couples who are in love.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
[

You should his FAVORITE source of recreation.

My H is an introvert who can barely tolerate social situations. I love to socialize. But I get my greatest satisfaction from socializing WITH HIM. Do you think for one minute I feel deprived because we RARELY socialize with other people? HELL NO. I would much rather spend my free time out on dates with him than squander it socializing with other people. We do socialize on occasions but only if we are both enthusiastic. And even then we much prefer being alone together.

It sounds like he would rather socialize with others outside of your marriage than you. That is a very bad sign.

Exposure 101

S
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
[

The problem is this. One of his needs is to be able to socialize with other people (with me there) from time to time: friends, family, etc. It is very difficult for me to do this and feel comfortable. I am introverted to an extreme degree, and I really don't think it is fair that DH should be denied going to family/friend gatherings once a month or so, just because I have such a distaste for it. The people we interact with are fine - they are friendly, kind, etc. - it is just me with the issue. How can I expect anyone to give up such a basic need for family ties just because I isolate myself with everyone except my closest friend or two, and my Dad?

Ok but you have the website and all the articles even without the books. I am completely perplexed that someone would be here for so long but not have read the articles. I read the articles about 2-3 times before posting here.

Honestly, you should do that ASAP while you are waiting for your books to arrive. There is a lot of back and forth over simple issues like snooping and transparency etc that Dr Harley explains very clearly - it kinda gets frustrating to try to spoon feed these concepts to someone who may have zero interest in following this program.

Ddays 2007 and 2011
Plan B 6/21/11
Divorced July 2012
2 kids
How to Plan B Correctly
M
M
Understand your point, but my introversion is such that it has prevented me many times throughout the last 40 years to enjoy normal social interactions. Instead I am filled with dread and foreboding.

Are you filled with dread and foreboding when you socialize WITH HIM? My H is an introvert and he feels great with me. WE socialize with each other. WE rarely have time for others.

Exposure 101

J
J
Hello Caroleena-As a fellow introvert, I wanted to chime in here...

I am EXTREMELY introverted myself. Until a few years ago, I didn't really know what that meant...I also viewed parties and get-togethers with a feeling of dread and thought perhaps I had a social anxiety disorder. Luckily, I stumbled across an article that explained that being introverted wasn't about being socially awkward or "shy"...it's about how your recharge your batteries....a social event for introverts like us is like a battery quickly draining its charge. While for an extrovert, these events charge them up and make them shine like a Christmas tree. Until I understood that, I thought something was wrong with me too, so I get why you used the word "disability"...but I hope that sometime you can come to see yourself as not "broken"...there's nothing wrong with being introverted.

Like you, my husband is much more extroverted than me. He loves interacting with people. I used to feel very much like you have expressed...like I was holding him back from enjoying something he loved - friends and family. So I felt like I either had to tolerate him having a social life outside of our marriage or suck it up and attend social events even if I didn't want to. I did a bit of both...staying behind while he had a seaprate social life and tagging along to events I hated. I even hosted several parties in our home because I thought that's what he wanted. All of it was a sacrifice. So what ended up happening was a vicious cycle... I was not getting the downtime that I needed, so the time we were spending together was full of love busters...I was demanding, judgemental and had a super short fuse, so lots of angry outbursts in there as well. As you can imagine, that didn't exactly entice him to spend more time alone with me, so he spent more and more time outside of our marriage. It didn't happen overnight, but over the years our marriage degraded further and further until the horrible day when I discovered he was having an emotional affair, which I still believe would have turned physical in very short order.

We don't sacrifice anymore. Because my needs are being met, I'm much more pleasant to spend UA time with! We have a great time now....we don't do things unless we both want to. Along the way, I became his favorite person to spend time with....he never wants to do things without me anymore. And he's doing such a good job meeting my needs that time with him recharges my batteries even more than time spent by myself. He still chats with male friends on the phone sometimes and goes to an occassional golf outing. And since we don't socialize outside of our marriage very often at all anymore, there are some social events that I actually do want to go, so we attend those together.

As others have stated, you can make a marriage between an extrovert and an introvert work beautifully, but having one or both of your needs met outside of the marriage will put you right into the situation I was in three years ago when I discovered my husband's EA.

Take care.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 301 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation