Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
If it was truly "innocuous" he wouldn't get so upset. You need to learn to discuss things in a way that does not upset him. I see you arguing with him over whether or not it was "innocuous" and that misses the point. It doesn't matter how you MEANT it, it matters how it affects him. So you are barking up the wrong tree here. Stop insisting it was "innocuous" when it is obvious he is upset and focus on communicating in ways that don't upset him.

I meant that it was innocuous from my POV. I get that it doesn't work to tell him that I didn't mean to offend, because he just thinks I'm disregarding his feelings. I do also focus on communicating in ways that don't upset him (by asking him how I can do that), but he says that it doesn't matter what I say, the meaning is the same to him. Also, what is the appropriate response when he tells me that I thought something that I didn't think?

What happens when he says NO to your requests? Can he safely say NO? Or does he face another exhausting lecture from you where he can't withdraw? Is he conditioned to be punished if he says no?

He can safely say no, and I tell him that all the time, but he has a really hard time saying no, not just to me, but to anyone.

You do argue ALOT and I can see that reading back through this thread. You argue and then argue about arguing. I can see how that trait drives him nuts.

I feel like what I do mostly is defend myself, but I can understand your perspective.

When you see him getting frustrated, you should back off. Have you been using the "Enemies of good conversation" guidelines?

Yes, I agree.

Is he in the habit of agreeing to do things for you that he really doesn't want to do? If so, that could be part of his frustration. Does he understand he needs to stop doing that?

I think so. I keep finding out that his "enthusiastic agreement" wasn't really enthusiastic after the fact. We've talked about him needing to stop doing that, but I think it's a habit. I think he just really doesn't like saying no to people.

Which leads me to the next question: can he safely say NO to any of your requests?

Definitely, and I've told him that many times. He can say no to any and all of them and I will find an alternative solution to my problem with no hard feelings.

That is great that he is going to take anger management, but you also need to know what you are saying that frustrates him so much. Just brushing it under the rug as "innocuous" is not a solution.

I totally agree! I didn't want to brush it under the rug. I kept asking him what was frustrating him. He said it was that I complained to him at the wrong time. But I don't know what to do with that, especially since I can't tell what kinds of things he hears as complaints. I also can't tell what time is the wrong time for him until he tells me. I asked if, when he hears something as a complaint at the wrong time, he could just tell me respectfully that it bothered him. He said he didn't know if he could.

Will he come here and post to us so we can help him?

I don't know. I don't think so, but I'll ask him. I do know he wants to write to Dr. Harley again.

M
M
Originally Posted by smallpeace
[
I don't know. I don't think so, but I'll ask him. I do know he wants to write to Dr. Harley again.

I would really like it if he would come here and start his own thread under his own alias. It would help us understand how he perceives the problem. Markos and Prisca can help him too.

Writing Dr Harley again would be helpful too. Listening to the radio show will help us help him.

Will you go ask him?

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
It is a disrespectful judgement for him to tell you how you feel. But it is also disrespectful of you to tell him he must "stick to the facts" and define his "objective reality." It comes across as though you are lecturing him.

He was very upset by what you said to him and that is being ignored by you. While he must address his angry outbursts, you have to address your delivery. You can't say it is "innocuous" when it clearly is not.

Does he feel lectured by you? I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here? We could encourage him in seeking anger management and get a better understanding of his frustrations.

Yes, what I said was disrespectful. I don't usually say things like that, but it was in the context of telling him what I required (that he stop DJing me) if he wanted to come back home. I don't think he normally feels lectured by me. And I definitely want him to tell me how I can change my delivery so it won't bother him.

L
L
I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here?

I'm here. Should we discuss this here, or should I start my own thread?

P
P
Hi Leo!
It is usually recommended that each spouse has his or her own thread.

M
M
Originally Posted by Leo183
I would really like to speak to him. Would he come here?

I'm here. Should we discuss this here, or should I start my own thread?

Hello Leo! Thanks for signing up. Can you please start a new thread and stay on that thread? We would like to hear your perspective of the problem and what we can do to help you.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

L
L

S
OP Offline
S
I think we know what to work on for now (thanks, everyone!), but we're a little unclear where to begin re finding an anger management program. Are there any resources on this site or elsewhere for finding a good program? Or should he just start by looking into galvanic response meters? Is there a specific one that Dr. Harley recommends?

Last edited by smallpeace; 10/04/16 09:30 AM.
B
B
I think we know what to work on for now (thanks, everyone!), but we're a little unclear where to begin re finding an anger management program. Are there any resources on this site or elsewhere for finding a good program? Or should he just start by looking into galvanic response meters? Is there a specific one that Dr. Harley recommends?
Have you researched anger management programs in your area?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

S
OP Offline
S
Not exhaustively, but yes. My husband was in anger management therapy a couple years ago but wasn't taught calming techniques. Is there a specific type of therapy (like cognitive, behavioral, etc.) we should be searching for? Is there a name for it?

M
M
The type of AM he needs focuses on relaxation techniques and the realization that he is responsible for his angry outbursts.

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
Last week we both thought we had a breakthrough, and things had been going really well. No AOs or DJs, no arguing, good UA time. Yesterday we went out on a date and had a nice time (at least from my perspective). After we went to pick up our daughter from a friend who was watching her, my husband got into a funk. He didn't like that I had spent time talking to the friend, and felt like he had been solely responsible for wrangling our daughter and getting her ready to leave. I said I was sorry and asked what he would like next time, and he told me, and I thought it was fine. But then he said he just thought it "wasn't worth it". I asked what he meant, and he said that it wasn't worth going out on dates if they had to be interrupted to pick up our daughter and put her to bed. He felt like the evening had lost momentum.

I asked what would make him feel better, and he said maybe he'd feel better after some time had passed. I asked him how he wanted to spend the rest of the evening, and he said he didn't care. I asked him what would we be fun for him, that he'd enthusiastically agree to. He said he enthusiastically agreed to me picking what to do.

So I picked a board game, and we played it, but he still seemed to be in a bad mood, and it was hard to have a conversation. He kept complaining about his bad luck in the game. I made a play in the game to help him out, and he didn't thank me, and then made a sarcastic comment about how "magnanimous" I was being.

I felt like we should just call it quits for the night, and I went to bed. I tried to hug him but he didn't really hug me back. He stayed up for a long time drinking, and I found out this morning he posted on his thread here.

Just a few days ago, he wrote me a really nice text telling me how much he loved me. Yesterday or the day before, he asked me how I was feeling about the relationship and I said I was feeling good, and asked him how he felt. He said good, and that he loved me.

This is definitely a pattern. One day everything is good or even great, then suddenly the next day he's in a funk and says he wants out. He didn't say what he wrote on his thread to me in person last night, but I've heard it before many times. I feel like there is no stability. He can't seem to sustain being a loving husband for longer than a week or two.

S
OP Offline
S
Oh, he also said that he was upset because when he complained about wrangling our daughter away from her friend and putting her to bed, I didn't sympathize with him. So I said, "oh I'm sorry, I know that can be hard to deal with". But that didn't seem to make him any happier. This does tend to happen though- I tend to be more focussed on fixing the problem so it doesn't happen again than sympathizing, and he wants more sympathy.

M
M
It sounds to me like he has been trying really hard to meet you needs so you would meet his need for sexual fulfillment at the end of your date. Did that happen?

Exposure 101

S
OP Offline
S
It didn't happen last night, because he was moody and I didn't feel connected to him. He didn't initiate anything anyway, though. It did happen after our last date, last weekend. I think he's more upset that I generally don't feel like having sex after we've just been tired and hanging out on the couch watching TV, and that we need to have a date with a good conversation first. He feels like we didn't need to do that to have sex earlier in our relationship.

Last edited by smallpeace; 10/15/16 03:46 PM.
B
B
UA time is to meet the 4 intimate ENs.

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

B
B
Do you drink? Are you an alcoholic?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

S
OP Offline
S
We only had UA time once in the past week. It was an extraordinarily busy week with our daughter being out of school and extra work demands.

We both drink. I don't consider myself an alcoholic. I drink wine with dinner and while socializing. The people we socialize with all drink about the same amount. I think my husband might be borderline alcoholic because he stays up drinking by himself, but he says that's because of his depression about our relationship.

M
M
We only had UA time once in the past week. It was an extraordinarily busy week with our daughter being out of school and extra work demands.

If you want to change your marriage, you need to get 20-25 hours of UA time. ONE DATE will never get you anywhere, except frustrated and wondering why the "program doesn't work." It will NEVER WORK if you won't schedule much more UA time.

My H and I sit down every Sunday afternoon and schedule our dates using this form: http://www.marriagebuilders.com/forms/FiveSteps_Time_for_Undivided_Attention_Worksheet.pdf

Exposure 101

M
M
Cutting corners on UA time is dangerous because it will cause your H to be MORE discouraged when nothing changes. He will soon stop trying when he concludes the program "doesn't work." It does not work when you cut corners!

Exposure 101

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 820 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation