Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#328906 04/23/01 09:38 PM
B
OP Offline
B
I need some heart-to-heart brotherly<BR>or sisterly advice...both perspectives desired.<P>I'm in such a dilemma...I broke up with my<BR>fiance over a month ago (both in our 40s and<BR>have been married before; dated nearly 2.5 <BR>years; divorced for several years). It has been a <BR>month now and we still talk. He still wants to stay <BR>together and doesn't want to break up. He does want to<BR>get married... He loves me very much...<P>I love him, too. We can communicate so well<BR>sometimes, but I always fear the living daily<BR>routine with him would be difficult and hard<BR>to deal with some of his selfishness.<P>Can we really combat this and get through some<BR>of that selfishness? I'm not confused about how<BR>I feel about him. I love him. I just don't want to<BR>marry and then feel like I'm so miserable because<BR>he can tend to be so selfish and impatient sometimes.<BR>He seems to only talk of being together only when<BR>I break it off because he won't talk about the<BR>future together when we ARE together.<P>I'm so tired of being alone, and I freely admit it.<BR>I want stability. He wants stability. Can we get<BR>through the negative stuff and be happy? Of course,<BR>I know you are not experts or anything, but I need<BR>some input here...<P>I said I would never again marry unless I was in love<BR>with the man. Well, I am in love with him, but part of<BR>me is in love with his potential instead of who he is<BR>right now. Right now, he still admits that he needs<BR>to do some changing in some of his behaviors.<BR>Do I wait for it to solidify until making a decision to<BR>marry? That could be years!!!!!! I'm not perfect, either,<BR>but his issues (in my opinion) are more difficult and<BR>necessary to change (again, he admits this). <P>He feels that I need to uproot my two teenagers<BR>in order to attend church with him (we are both<BR>protestant). He says if he is to be the<BR>spiritual leader of the family that we need to<BR>attend his church and that I need to come along<BR>HIS side rather than him coming along my side.<BR>(Quoting the Scripture that the wife follows the<BR>husband...)<P>I think that works fine in a first-time marriage<BR>but differently when there are children involved<BR>who still need a firm spiritual journey. Do I<BR>uproot my teens when my daughter has one more year<BR>of high school left and my son has three years and<BR>uproot their spiritual journey and have to start<BR>all over with friendships, etc.? They have been<BR>firmly grounded with these other friendships for<BR>the past seven years!<P>Should I stand firm on the church issue to keep <BR>that spiritual journey intact when as adults our<BR>faith is already firmly grounded or uproot the<BR>teenagers? This would only be for three years and<BR>then his church would be totally fine after they<BR>have gone on to college.<P>This issue is so important for me to serve as a family<BR>at this time (for the next three years). Divorce has<BR>been hard enough. It is hard to think of trying to<BR>uproot them again when it really would be so helpful<BR>if he would attend with me for a short three years.<P>If he won't come around on this issue, do I take it as <BR>a signal that other selfish issues are to abound many <BR>times over in the marriage after that??? Should I <BR>just say forget it all and be totally done with it even <BR>though I love him? <P>The counseling has been so helpful, and he does<BR>admit his behavior needs changing (and he IS<BR>changing). Do I dare accept that he will continue<BR>to get better even if we marry before he makes<BR>these issues a part of his lifestyle before making<BR>a commitment together? Please advise...HELP!!!<P>Blessings 4/23 Sending at 9:33 p.m.

#328907 04/25/01 12:32 AM
K
K
I would wait and see the changes become real & ingrained...so often problems that you hoped would change after marriage only become bigger afterwards.<P>As for the church issue, are you familiar with the POJA (policy of joint aggreement--see CONCEPTS link at top of page)? This is not a matter for one of you to "cave" on...it is a matter for the two of you to brainstorm all alternatives and come up with a solution that you can both fully support.<P>Good luck--<P>Kathi

#328908 04/24/01 07:47 PM
B
OP Offline
B
Thanks for your reply. Waiting for<BR>behaviors to become "ingrained" could<BR>take quite a long time...how long is that?<BR>A few weeks, months, years???<P>Brainstorming and Policy of Joint Agreement<BR>have already been discussed in depth. We have<BR>attend the MB Marriage Seminar (as pre-engaged)<BR>and have read the books by Dr. Willard Harley.<BR>At this point, however, possible solutions<BR>of attending both churches or alternating<BR>services; alternating weeks; mid-week at<BR>one; Sunday at another--these have all been<BR>discussed at length. There seems to be<BR>no willingness on his part to attend my church.<BR>Seems to be all his church. Period. He "is the<BR>spiritual leader so I should follow him" is his<BR>thinking. I look at it to see who has the needs<BR>and then want to take it from there. So...back<BR>to square one--that being of not being able to<BR>negotiate. <P>It's difficult to know if God is giving me<BR>peace about NOT being together to preserve<BR>my teens' spiritual journey or wondering if<BR>I am being too stubborn to recognize that<BR>I'm wrong. I don't perceive myself at being<BR>stubborn on this issue, though he thinks that<BR>I am being stubborn. There just is no clear <BR>sign one way or the other. <P>Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.<P>blessings 4/24/01 7:50 p.m.

#328909 04/24/01 08:09 PM
K
K
If he is not willing to negotiate at all, I'd say this is a major, major red flag.<P>Just my opinion, but that unwillingness to compromise at all for your/your family's sake would make me come to a full stop.<P>What is your plan to get thru the "negative stuff"?..it will not go away on its own, you know...

#328910 04/24/01 10:22 PM
B
OP Offline
B
The plan to get through the "negative" stuff<BR>was to let our needs be known in a positive<BR>way and to learn to respond to each other<BR>in calm ways; identify issues ahead of time<BR>which seem to bring upon issues that cause<BR>anger to rise within; identify responses that<BR>are acceptable for airing our frustration.<BR>That plan is good and there is no problem<BR>with that as far as communication goes. We can<BR>communicate well.<P>The red flag, as you mentioned, is one of<BR>inflexibility with my children...yes, I believe<BR>you hit the nail on the head...as I have felt<BR>as well. This confirms something within me<BR>to feel that breaking this engagement off is<BR>the right thing to do for the long term despite<BR>the feeling and fact of love that we have for<BR>each other. This indeed has stopped me dead<BR>in my tracks. I pray, still, for God to show<BR>me by confirming, giving peace or something<BR>(I don't know exactly what yet) to say that<BR>breaking up is the right thing to do and that<BR>there is someone else He is preparing for me<BR>or that He is still going to be my husband<BR>for this point in my life. <P>I don't want to be a "stubborn Jonah" and miss <BR>something that God is trying to teach me through <BR>my relationship with my fiance/ex-fiance. I do<BR>know that God uses many different circumstances,<BR>people, events, etc. to guide us into His plan,<BR>whatever that is...it's just frustrating to try<BR>and figure out just what that plan is for me<BR>personally. <P>Thanks for your input. You did confirm a<BR>red flag I see as well. <P>If someone else reads this from a male <BR>perspective and has a different take,<BR>I'm hoping to hear from him (or 'her' with a<BR>different perspective). I am 'teachable' and<BR>still wanting to learn what I can in this<BR>relationship, even though at this point it is<BR>over. We are on 'talking' status and continuing<BR>to be friends but not on a dating basis or <BR>even feeling like we are 'getting back together'<BR>at this point--it's just re-evaluating and<BR>confirming a decision.<P>Thanks again.<P>blessings<BR>

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 193 guests, and 68 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation