Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
F
OP Offline
F
If I speak in the tongues [1] of men and of angels, but have not love, I am only a resounding gong or a clanging cymbal.<BR>2<BR>If I have the gift of prophecy and can fathom all mysteries and all knowledge, and if I have a faith that can move mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. <BR>3<BR>If I give all I possess to the poor and surrender my body to the flames, [2] but have not love, I gain nothing. <BR>4<BR>Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. <BR>5<BR>It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. <BR>6<BR>Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. <BR>7<BR>It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres. <BR>8<BR>Love never fails. But where there are prophecies, they will cease; where there are tongues, they will be stilled; where there is knowledge, it will pass away. <BR>9<BR>For we know in part and we prophesy in part, <BR>10<BR>but when perfection comes, the imperfect disappears. <BR>11<BR>When I was a child, I talked like a child, I thought like a child, I reasoned like a child. When I became a man, I put childish ways behind me. <BR>12<BR>Now we see but a poor reflection as in a mirror; then we shall see face to face. Now I know in part; then I shall know fully, even as I am fully known. <BR>13<BR>And now these three remain: faith, hope and love. But the greatest of these is love. <P>1 Corinthians 13<P>Our pastor had a nice sermon on this chapter yesterday. It speaks of agape love, which is an action love, an unconditional love.<P>I think when the verse says love never fails, it means that you always can make the choice to love...maybe not like...maybe not condone...but to love. It also sounds a lot like Plan A!<P>Happy Valentine's Day!<P><BR><P>------------------<BR>Faith, Hope, Love Remain,<BR>but the greatest of these is Love.<BR>1 Corinthians 13:13

P
P
I love that chapter!!!<P>Someone once told me that being a true christian was replacing your name with the word love in that chapter.<BR>Nicole is patient, Nicole is kind, Nicole...<BR>I know I have a long way to go<P>------------------<BR>Love and Prayers<BR>Nicole smile

F
OP Offline
F
I never thought of replacing my name in that. HOW COOL! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>This chapter means so much to me for a number of reasons.<P>I also have a book about the chapter by Larry Burke. Can't remember the name, but it does have Love in the title. It is a "purse" book...meaning one I keep with me to read when waiting for kids, etc.<P>Thank you!<P>------------------<BR>Faith, Hope, Love Remain,<BR>but the greatest of these is Love.<BR>1 Corinthians 13:13

T
Taj Offline
T
FHL,<P>The "Love" chapter is one I need to read often. I tend to be a very controlling and critical person(type A personality you know) [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] When I compare that to God's description of love I am very humbled and realize without Jesus I cannot love in that way.<P>There is another "purse" book which I have. It is called "IF" by Amy Carmichael. I posted some of the excerps a while back but here is my favoite.<P>"IF, I say, "Yes, I forgive but cannot forget,"<BR>as though the God,<BR>who twice a day washes all the sands on all the shores of all the world,<BR>could not wash such memories from my mind,<BR>then I know nothing of Calvary Love."<P>The book is a skinny little one with one of these little jewels on each page, it has been a treasure to me. I need to be reminded often what true love is, and it truly is Calvary Love.<P>Blessings, Taj<P>------------------<BR>"Perfect love casts out fear" I John 4:18<p>[This message has been edited by Taj (edited February 18, 2000).]

M
M
FHL - thank you for posting this. I really need to study this. Am really having a problem with no. 7 - "It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres". Especially the <B>always trusts</B> part. I just find it so very difficult to hear the very same words spoken to me during his affair again now, such as "don't worry", "I'm just hanging out with my buddies", "I gave you my word didn't I". When he spoke them before, the were all LIES, so how should I be able to believe them now? <P>PL - love the idea of replacing love with your name. I too would have an extremely long way to go!!<P><BR>

F
OP Offline
F
More Than AW...I'll get back to this...but I don't think this verse means we have to believe everything we hear.<P>From a practical standpoint, we are all sinners and we can expect each other to sin. And we are supposed to beware of false prophets, etc...so it seems that we are actually expected to be watchful to discern the truth.<P>In my book, it is explained more that believes means more "believes in"...as in building someone up.<P>Also this chapter is a description of agape love...which is the unconditional Christian love that we have for one another...which is a love that we choose to emulate with the help of God. It is not a description of romantic love, although it is a great guide to loving.<P>------------------<BR>Faith, Hope, Love Remain,<BR>but the greatest of these is Love.<BR>1 Corinthians 13:13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation