Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#351524 04/10/00 11:52 PM
U
OP Offline
U
> I BELIEVE IN EASTER<BR>> This is a true story, one that I promise you will<BR>> never forget, and one that will cause you to think of<BR>> Easter in a totally different light.<BR>> <BR>> The Lady's name was Edith Burns. She was a<BR>> wonderful Christian who lived in San Antonio, Texas.<BR>> She was the patient of a fine Christian doctor by<BR>> the name of Will Phillips. Dr. Phillips was a gentle<BR>> doctor who saw patients as people. His favorite<BR>> patient was Edith Burns.<BR>> One morning he went to his office with a heavy<BR>> heart and it was because of Edith Burns. When he<BR>> walked into that waiting room, there sat Edith with<BR>> her big black Bible in her lap. She was earnestly<BR>> talking to a young mother sitting beside her. Dr.<BR>> Phillips knew why Edith was there and what she was<BR>> doing. You see, Edith Burns had a habit of introducing<BR>> herself in this way: "Hello, my name is Edith Burns.<BR>> Do you believe in Easter?" Then she would explain the<BR>> meaning of Easter, and many times people would be<BR>> saved.<BR>> Dr. Phillips walked into that office and there he<BR>> saw the head nurse Beverly. Beverly had first met<BR>> Edith when she was taking her blood pressure. Edith<BR>> began by saying, "My name is Edith Burns. Do you<BR>> believe in Easter?" Beverly said, "Why yes I do." Edith<BR>> said, "Well, what do you believe about Easter?" Beverly<BR>> said, "Well, it's all about egg hunts, going to church, and<BR>> dressing up." Well Edith kept pressing her about the<BR>> real meaning of Easter, and finally led her to a saving<BR>> knowledge of Jesus Christ. Dr. Phillips said,<BR>> "Beverly, don't call Edith into the office quite yet.<BR>> I believe there is another delivery taking place in<BR>> the waiting room.<BR>> After being called back in the doctor's office, Edith<BR>> sat down and when she took a look at the doctor she said,<BR>> "Dr. Will, why are you so sad? Are you reading your Bible?<BR>> Are you praying?" Dr. Phillips said, "Now Edith, I'm the<BR>> doctor and you're the patient," With a heavy heart he said,<BR>> "your lab report came back and it says you have cancer, and<BR>> Edith, you're not going to live very long."<BR>> Edith said, "Why Will Phillips, shame on you. Why<BR>> are you so sad? Do you think God makes mistakes?<BR>> You have just told me I'm going to see my precious Lord<BR>> Jesus, my husband, and my friends. You have just told me<BR>> that I am going to celebrate Easter forever, and here you<BR>> are having difficulty giving me my ticket!" Dr. Phillips thought<BR>> to himself, "What a magnificent woman this Edith Burns<BR>> is!"<BR>> Edith continued coming to Dr. Phillips every day. Christmas<BR>> came and the office was closed through January 3rd. On the<BR>> day the office opened, Edith did not show up. Later that<BR>> afternoon, Edith called Dr. Phillips and said she would have to<BR>> be moving her story to the hospital and said, "Will, I'm very<BR>> near home, so would you make sure that they put women in<BR>> here next to me in my room who need to know about Easter?<BR>> Well, they did just that and women began to come in and<BR>> share that room with Edith. Many women were gloriously<BR>> saved. Everybody on that floor from staff to patients were<BR>> so excited about Edith, that they started calling her Edith<BR>> Easter; everyone except Phyllis Cross, the head nurse.<BR>> She made it plain that she wanted nothing to do with<BR>> Edith because she was a "religious nut." She had been a<BR>> nurse in an army hospital. She had seen it all and heard<BR>> it all. She was the original G.I. Jane. She was hard, cold,<BR>> and did everything by the book.<BR>> Well, one morning the two nurses who were to attend to<BR>> Edith were sick. Edith had the flu and Phyllis Cross had to<BR>> go in and give her a flu shot. When she walked in, Edith<BR>> had a big smile on her face and said, "Phyllis, God loves<BR>> you and I love you, and I have been praying for you."<BR>> Phyllis Cross said, "Well, you can quit praying for me, you<BR>> religious nut, it won't work. I'm not interested." Edith said,<BR>> "Well, I will pray and I have asked God not to let me go home<BR>> until you come into the family." Phyllis Cross said,<BR>> "Then you will never die because that will never happen."<BR>> She walked out of the room.<BR>> Every day Phyllis Cross would walk into that room<BR>> and Edith would say, "God loves you Phyllis and I love<BR>> you, and I'm praying for you." One day Phyllis Cross<BR>> said she was literally drawn to Edith's room like a magnet<BR>> would draw iron. She sat down on the bed and Edith<BR>> said, "I'm so glad you have come, because God told me<BR>> that today is your special day." Phyllis Cross said,<BR>> "Edith, you have asked everybody here the question,<BR>> "Do you believe in Easter?" but you have never asked me."<BR>> Edith said, "Phyllis, I wanted to many times, but God told me to<BR>> wait until you asked, and now that you have asked..."<BR>> Edith Burns took her Bible and shared with Phyllis Cross the<BR>> Easter Story of the death, burial and resurrection of Jesus Christ.<BR>> Edith said, "Phyllis, do you believe in Easter? Do you believe<BR>> that Jesus Christ is alive and that He wants to live in your<BR>> heart?"<BR>> Phyllis Cross said, "Oh I want to believe that with all of my heart,<BR>> and I do want Jesus in my life." Right there, Phyllis Cross prayed<BR>> and invited Jesus Christ into her heart. For the first time Phyllis<BR>> Cross did not walk out of a hospital room, she was carried out<BR>> on the wings of angels!<BR>> Two days later, Phyllis Cross came in and Edith said,<BR>> "Do you know what day it is?" Phyllis Cross said,<BR>> "Why Edith, it's Good Friday." Edith said, "Oh, no,<BR>> for you every day is Easter. Happy Easter Phyllis!" Well, two<BR>> days later, on Easter Sunday, Phyllis Cross came into work,<BR>> did some of her duties and then went down to the flower shop<BR>> and got some Easter lillies because she wanted to go up to see<BR>> Edith and give her some Easter lillies and wish her a Happy Easter.<BR>> When she walked into Edith's room, Edith was in bed. That big<BR>> black Bible was on her lap. Her hands were in that Bible.<BR>> There was a sweet smile on her face. When Phyllis Cross<BR>> went to pick up Edith's hand, she realized Edith was dead.<BR>> Her left hand was on John 14: "In my Father's house are many<BR>> mansions. I go to prepare a place for you, I will come again and<BR>> receive you to Myself, that where I am, there you may be also."<BR>> Her right hand was on Revelation 21:4, "And God will wipe away<BR>> every tear from their eyes, there shall be no more death, nor<BR>> sorrow, no crying; and there shall be no more pain, for the former<BR>> things have passed away."<BR>> Phyllis Cross took one look at that dead body, and then lifted<BR>> her face toward heaven, and with tears streaming down here<BR>> cheeks, said, "Happy Easter, Edith - Happy Easter!"<BR>> Well, Phyllis Cross left Edith's body, walked out<BR>> of the room, and over to a table where two student<BR>> nurses were sitting. She said, "My name is Phyllis Cross.<BR>> Do you believe in Easter?"<P>Got this in an e-mail... it was worth passing it on!<P>------------------<BR>Jesus is the only answer!<BR>His blessings, Cozy

#351525 04/11/00 08:40 AM
N
N
Dear Cozy: Thanks so much for sharing that. It really touched my heart. I read the Easter story to my children last night and read it again in my Bible this morning. I have read it so many times, but I must admit I seem to be reading the Bible in a new light now. I truly know the Holy Spirit is teaching me. Has that ever happened to you? I've read the Bible in the past, sometimes finding it very difficult to read or understand, but now so many new things coming to light and finding it easy to read chapter after chapter. I read again today about when Jesus was going up to be with the Father how he told of the Holy Spirit coming to teach us. I now finally feel connected to the Holy Spirit. Praise God! Blessings, Joni

#351526 04/15/00 08:02 PM
M
MMJ Offline
M
What a great story. I am going to read it to my children tonight. I also feel as you do newmember. I am new to this but have tried several times and this is it. I can honestly say I get it!! I understand what I read and want to read more and learn more about Jesus.<BR>Good Luck in your venture. God Bless. Mary

#351527 04/16/00 10:46 AM
U
OP Offline
U
I am glad in my heart when I know God is rekindling the fire and first love in his children! I pray that both of you, NewDay and MMJ, that you will have a fulfilling journey with the Lord in the days ahead and that your relationship with Jesus will become the intimate one that brings much growth and bears much fruit!<P>Im keeping this story at the top for all to read, it really touched me to talk more about my relationship with Jesus!<P>------------------<BR>Jesus is the only answer!<BR>His blessings, Cozy

#351528 04/18/00 01:49 PM
A
A
Cozy,<BR>Thanks for posting this. What a great story. Reminds me too that I need to share God's love with others whenever I get the chance.<P>NewDay - I felt the Holy Spirit in church last week when my eyes and heart were opened to Psalm 62:5 "My soul, wait silently for God alone, For my expectation is from Him". I carry this verse in my purse as a reminder of what He said to me. Blessings to you.<P>AW

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 338 guests, and 69 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation