Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
T
OP Offline
T
Pray for my job. I unfortunately had to tell our state grant funders the grim future of our program, due to the VP at the college. He has thwarted all efforts to move this program through - and it is a really really good program. I know of 3 faculty who resigned from our program advisory committee, because he will not allow me to talk to them. I am also required to send him a copy of all written communication, including e-mail. As well, he wants me to document everything that everyone does in the office, including who they talked to and when.<P>VP will probably fire me, because I told the grant funders today during a site visit. They are going to call my Washington DC contact, and have some higher ups call the president at the college. I know this will make the VP very angry. If I didn't tell the grant funders, one of the other community representatives would. <P>The VP called me into his office last Fri, and finally wrote me out my own grants through my job description - that he finally got around to preparing. I told him that if he was responsible for my grants, then I thought he should make sure he goes to all of the grant meetings. He didn't think so. I also told him that our funders should be aware of what he is doing. He said no, that I was not to say anything, that was out of my realm of responsibility. I absolutely went against what he wanted. It is at the point where it is me or him at the college, and I never intended for this to happen. But this control issue that he has - has put our program and the community in such a poor way, that there is no other alternatives. I was probably nothing more than history in the VP's check list of things to do. <P>Please pray when the funders call the president of the college, that he stands behind our program, and that I would not be so sad - that God would strengthen me and give me an employment future. In Jesus Name.<BR>Amen

Q
Q
How about both?? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>I hear you about the job... I remember VERY well, as you know.... the politics on campus are HORRID... and departments/programs that need funding... well... sheesh... what ever happened to the STUDENTS being the important people on campus????<P>So, I've prayed, and here's your hugs:<P>(((((TnT)))))<P>Love, Sheryl<BR>

L
L
tnt,<BR>I pray that you will be rewarded for seeing the truth, speaking the truth, and knowing the truth. It is truly discouraging when public institutions are scourged with unmotivated, untalented, inept administrators. <P>There MUST be somewhere else you can work. A place where you can shine and be appreciated. That is my hug and my prayer for you. <BR>

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you Sheryl.<P>Last year we had a faculty liaison for Service Learning. I coordinated the program, and she mustered the support of faculty - the result? Ten out of 45 faculty requiring students to provide a service in the community. 161 students went to the K-12 schools to tutor, mentor at risk students, etc. and the other 190 students worked at various non-profits. 1/3 of our student body were serving in the community for a total of 6,615 hours. Now? I have a record of only 15 students who are serving. This is affecting our community. We have/had one of the strongest programs in the state, and even won the Governor's award for acts of kindness. <P>Our previous faculty liaison retired, and VP appointed a volunteer faculty ad-hoc committee in lieu of a faculty liaison. How can the faculty ad-hoc committee act as a liaison when they are not allowed to meet, much less talk to me, who is coordinating the Service Learning efforts? uggh.<P>I know I am big trouble now, I totally did the opposite of what he would allow. The faculty ad-hoc committee met with a community representative - and I understand they all have resigned, and I know of 1 who went in to talk to the president. The faculty ad-hoc committee supposedly have filed grievances against the VP. If they don't take Service Learning (an academic program) away from the VP of academic affairs - it just isn't going to survive. <P>Community partners are going to write the president and ask him what they can do to get students in their class.<P>If me leaving the program would help it, then I am willing - but I suspect it wouldn't matter who was involved, it seems to be a program on the VP hit list. <P>Service does change the hearts of students - and also increases their ability to understand the theory they are learning in the classroom. It is a senseless "ax" of a program, really. The funders have invested much - and they know we were very effective. They have just as much to lose by this VP as students and community do. It is just so sad.<P>I do appreciate your prayers. I am still praying for your son - I pray that there are angels surrounding him, In Jesus Name.<P>Amen.

T
OP Offline
T
Thank you lonesome heart,<BR>My sadness is just incredible. I feel so helpless. There are three jobs in the community that I could apply for, but - it is sooo hard to leave something that I feel so passionate about. I really like mobilizing the community into action, and this was a way to address community needs and to do social action. It is soooo sad.<BR>Lord, hear our prayers. <BR>In Jesus Name.<BR>Amen

P
P
Hi TnT,<P>How are you doing? I know about the hopeless feeling. <P>Maybe write out a pro and con list of staying and what you want to keep the job going. Can you take the list of needed improvements to your boss? Or even his boss? I know how political universities can be. I will pray that you recieve guidance and a strong spirit. This is a trying time for all. Remeber people do care and are praying for you.

L
L
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Ten out of 45 faculty requiring students to provide a service in the community. 161 students went to the K-12 schools to tutor, mentor at risk students, etc. and the other 190 students worked at various non-profits. 1/3 of our student body were serving in the community for a total of 6,615 hours. Now? I have a record of only 15 students who are serving. This is affecting our community. We have/had one of the strongest programs in the state, and even won the Governor's award for acts of kindness. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>This'll be easy for me to say, but the answer seems obvious. This program needs saving! Not only is your individual employment affected by the loss of this program, but an entire community will suffer at the hands of this vp's determination to squelch and mismanage. It's time to shine a light! <P>You've described literally hundreds of people who have benefitted from this program -- the students performing the community service and the members of the community who come in contact with these students. I don't know who (aside from your dirtbag boss) or what the obstacles are for this program continuing, but isn't it fair to say that the beneficiaries of the program outnumber the obstacles by a long shot? <P>If your community has a local paper, here's my suggestion. Write up a resume of the project, citing the many benefits to the community. Include a list of contact names, addresses and phone numbers -- the people who have decision-making authority over the program. Find a reporter whom you believe will be supportive of the program's continuation. Get some reports in the paper of the program's success, touching interviews of students who have been positively impacted, non-profits who stand to lose valuable volunteers, heck, even the governor might have something to say about it. Rally support from the non-profits who benefit from the student hours. Shower profuse thanks on the benefactors of the project to date. Ask them to write testimonials and send them to the newspaper editor, the governor, the college president. Shine a big bright light on this program and make the darkness disappear. Go get 'em!

P
P
LH,<P>You are by far a wonderful woman. I would have never thought about that. This is why this internet community is so benficial to us all. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] Though the advice was not for me...I find it too be very good.<P>

T
OP Offline
T
LH<BR>THANK YOU<BR>Great ideas, and some of those ideas have started. <BR>The school district is VERY concerned, and plan to meet with the president.<BR>We had an interview on the local access TV just yesterday - I think you are on to something, and I will follow through.<BR>Keep your prayers up!<BR>TNT

T
OP Offline
T
Paha - never thought this topic would give you ideas, but glad it did!<P>I talked with the VP today - and he had very good behavior - and was solution oriented! Prayers help! He gave me permission to speak to faculty one-on-one. That is amazing! <P>I am still not allowed to speak to the faculty ad-hoc committee (I think it doesn't exist anymore...) I didn't tell him about talking to the grant funders (I'm toooooo scared) and I don't think he has been approached by the president yet, maybe the president hasn't heard from our funders yet - Keep this in your prayers! I'll keep you updated!<P>Our public relations person came up with a terrific idea to 'jump-start' the battery (so to speak) on this program, and I think it will give me a way to open a conversation one-on-one with faculty! There is an article being written as we speak with a state-wide newspaper!!! LH- your prayers are being answered! <P>Thank you very much.<BR>God bless you all!<BR>TnT

Q
Q
Gee whiz, that LH is a genius!<P>I should have thought of all that myself since I had to DO it before. My mind is waaaaay not in the work-place.<P>I'm still praying, TnT!!!<P>WOW!! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

H
hw Offline
H
TnT,<P>Saying pryers for you and the program that has seemed to benefit so many in many different ways. In light of the WTC disaster you would think the VP would be more interested in this type of program that builds relationships rather than tearing them down.<P>God Bless this program and all who work with it.<P>hw

T
OP Offline
T
HW<BR>I just want to thank you, and I believe God will bless this program. I have a renewed strength and faith, and I thank you fabulous sisters for the encouragement and prayers.<BR>Thank you!<BR>TnT

L
L
Ok, who's the real yes? [img]images/icons/confused.gif" border="0[/img] <P>tnt, hope you're rattling cages in your community.

F
F
Prayers and hugs! No matter where you go or what you do, you will make a difference in people's lives!

T
OP Offline
T
lh - I've been on strike for 2 weeks, just got back to work today - not yet rattling cages in my community - but I think the president has been contacted. The VP was as nice as pie today, and even gave me a new project to implement. We've been getting some good press in our community partner newsletters - so that is good too.<P>We just started a new project called "Double the Difference Days". I'm excited. Students are seeking pledges from community members and businesses - and for each hour of service they do - the agencies will donate a certain dollar amount, for example: 25 students work 1 hour, and each have 7 pledges of $5 per hour = $8,750 for relief efforts/1 hour! cool, huh? Now, if we can get that for 5 hours - we'll have made some money - and will surely get some attention for our program. Unfortunately, it will not be connected to academics - because of our lack of faculty... but, you know me, I'm (usually) always hopeful - a die hard - I never give up. I may scream out for prayers, but I just don't give up. [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img]<P>Thanks for the encouragement.<P>FHL - thank you for the vote of confidence. Side note to you - My little guy is going to be 9 on Saturday, can you believe it? He is in 3rd grade and going to a LCMS school - WITH my husbands blessings!! how about that? Also, my husband had to work out of town for the last 2 weeks - and he was working with 2 born again Christians - who were witnessing to him! YES! God is good.... AND, he's been to church twice now since school started back up... AMAZING<P>There is always a 'cherry' on top of answered prayer, isn't there!!!<P>You take care.... How are you doing? <P>TnT

T
OP Offline
T
triple post [img]images/icons/rolleyes.gif" border="0[/img]<p>[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: trustntruth ]

T
OP Offline
T
[img]images/icons/shocked.gif" border="0[/img]<p>[ October 15, 2001: Message edited by: trustntruth ]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 663 guests, and 59 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation