Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
I first read her book - The Power of a Praying Parent. Wow, did it ever save my sanity! I was brought up in a Christian home, been a faithful Christian since age 10, But never got into prayer life like that book helped me learn to do. I think the big difference is the correlation of scripture in your prayers. Just think about it - Jesus referenced scripture in His prayers. Anyway, have since purchased Power of a Praying Wife and Power of a Praying Woman. Both are very good books. I do struggle with impatience and worry, particularly when praying for my husband. Have to keep reminding myself - God's time, not mine.

L
L
I just read the book, I'm having a lot of problems but don't want my marriage to end. The book has helped me alot. I now know the change has to be in me. It's still hard when only one person wants to save the marriage.

P
P
I just joined the discussion forum this week and was drawn to the "Women's Bible Study" listing.

I came across "Power of a Praying Wife" a month or so ago but didn't buy it. Funds are tight--which is contributing to my marital problems--but I am going to see about getting it since you both speak so highly of it.

I too feel as though I am the only one working to save my marriage. Perhaps the book will offer me some tools to make it through this difficult time.

A friend of mine passed along the book "Maximized Manhood" by Edwin Louis Cole. I read that book and found it very rewarding. I recommended it to both husbands and wives. The challenge now is to get my husband to read the book. He's had it for months but keeps coming up with excuses as to why he hasn't read it.

Perhaps the "...Praying Wife" book will help me pray that he will become more receptive to reading the book or taking other steps to improve our marriage. If nothing else, I hope the book can inspire me with greater patience until positive changes show through.

H
H
I just finished reading that book last week. I've been a Christian all my life but have learned ALOT about prayer from this book. I really enjoyed the prayers at the end of each chapter. They helped me alot. I'm the only one trying to save our marriage as well. It's tough but with God's help, we can overcome.

P
P
I am back with a praise report! I was determined to go out and buy "...Praying Wife" this week. Before I had a chance, an acquaintance blessed me with a copy. She, who is single, said she felt lead to give the book to myself and two other married friends of hers. What a blessing indeed! God is so awesome!

I got it Saturday night and began reading it as soon as I could. I read most of it after church Sunday and feel so much more hope now. The book is teaching me how to pray more effectively. It is also teaching me to assess myself first and make changes within where necessary. I am now saying, "Change me, Lord," when I find myself reacting to a negative situation (with husband, my kids, or life in general) with old habits that are not productive.

While I don't know what the future holds for my marriage, I do feel encouraged that I can help bring God into our marriage and family in a way we have never allowed Him before. I know the difference will be divine.

Next I'll look to get Ms. Omartian's "...Praying Parent."

I pray that those of you in a similar place in your marriages (feeling like the only one working to improve things) can find peace and guidance through prayer.

I'll report back when I have a positive breakthrough and look forward to hearing good news from any of you. Be blessed.

S
S
Prayer and Patients, hopeful98 & Itgray,

I too was the only one that seemed to be fighting for my M. My W asked me for a divorce and told me that she didn't love me any more and wanted to be with OM, who she worked with. That was nearly 19 months ago. With the help of God, a Godly MC, reading my Bible with purpose, The Power of a Praying Husband (and a whole bunch of other books) and all of the wonderful people here at the MB web site; I can say that my M is in recovery right now. And a having a whole lot of people pray for you helps too!

I want to let you know, even if only one person wants to save the M, it is possible. Trust God listen to Him, He will see you through.

Blessing to you.

S&C

H
H
Thank You S&C

I'm glad to hear that things are going good for you. I know that it's probably still hard some times but I do know that with God as our guide, everything will be ok.

Yes, having a whole lot of people pray for you really does help! Prayer can do wonderful things.

Thank you for reminding us that even if only one person wants to save the M, is IS possible.

I'm trying to work on Plan A right now. I met with my H last night and I told him everything I needed to say. At the end of our meeting he asked me to Pray for him. That's definitely a good step! I will always pray for everyone here at MB. It's been great help to me so far and it's truly a blessing from God that I have found this.

P
P
Yes, thank you for the reminders that even one person can make a difference.

I finished reading "...Praying Wife" this morning. I've recommended it and the "Praying Husband" to friends facing challenges in their marriages.

There truly is hope. I am learning to give it all over to God and then get out of His way so that He can handle the situation. That is perhaps my biggest problem, putting my hands back into a matter I have "turned over to God." I am asking Him to deliver me from this harmful pattern so that I don't make this delicate situation in my marriage any worse than I already have.

Stay encouraged, each of you. With names like "hopeful" and "steadfast and committed" I expect positive results all around.

I
I
Prayer & Patience,

I bought Power of a Praying Husband for my H too! And yes, he still has not read it either. My pleading, begging & crying has not worked yet so I guess I need to start praying!! lol

Stormie's books are soooo excellent!! I loved this book and right now I'm also going through a Bible study on Power of a Praying Woman. It's so nice to be surrounded and encouraged by other women. Especially by those who are committed to God and their marriages.

-ilovemyhubby

S
S
half.ebay.com has the book for $4.25 and they have one with a study guide

PEACE OUT

T
T
I know this is an old post...but thought I'd share with you about how I encouraged my fiance' to read "Power of a Praying Husband" and maybe it will help encourage you ladies..

First, do you pray "with" your husband? Not just "for" but "with him"? meaning do you sit down with him and pray for him about his day, his work, everything??

I started there, asking if he minded if I prayed with him...us sitting together holding hands..and well, most people aren't going to refuse prayer..

So I was praying with and for him for a couple months..and he would occassionally pray for me if something important was going on..

Well, after a couple months we were talking and I asked him..

"How does it make him feel to hear me pray for him?"

He said my day go better, and I feel closer to God and you when you pray, and I've noticed that day's were rushed and you don't pray..my day's go horrible"

And so I ventured out and added.."you know the times you pray for me, I feel the same way, and my day's go better as well, I also notice that WE get along better when we pray for each other together"

He said.."So your saying you would like me to pray for you more?"

I said..YES! But, I also realize it's not something your really comfortable doing, so I got this book, in hopes that it would help you learn to be more comfortable praying..and show you areas
that you can pray specifically..

he read it in about two weeks..and sometimes he prays repeating the prayers in the book, but sometimes he uses his own words..

So part of it begins with you beginning to pray with your husband, and not just for him..and then
present it in such a way that he's not made to feel put down, or stupid because he's not comfortable knowing how to pray--

Hope this helps someone to encourage their spouse to read and learn..how to be more comfortable praying..

He told me last night..He's going to keep this book up there with his Louis LeMour books which he loves so much..one he will go back and read over and over..because he got so much out of it..

P
P
Hi Thorned Rose,
You hit the nail right on the head!
I used to pray with my husband regularly and then the demands of kids sometimes threw us off course. At other times, he would actually refuse to pray with me. At times I would pray anyway by myself. Other times I would be so hurt that he wouldn't pray with me that I didn't pray either. WRONG!!! It was during those times that NEITHER of us was praying that satan weasled his way into our marriage and wrought havoc!

"Power of a Praying Wife" has given me tools and insight to use during those times he WON'T pray with me. A friend recently gave us a beautiful couples devotional Bible and I found another book of daily devotions for couples and asked that he take time to read and study the word with me daily. He'd do it for a few days and then lag off.

Long story short, my husband is angry at God and gets into these spaces where he only focuses on the negatives in his/our life and REFUSES to count the blessings. Ms. Omartian's book enables me to pray for him when he won't pray for himself.

I pray that you are each doing well and drawing closer to God.

M
M
HI I'm new to the board & when i saw this title i had to come over

is this just a saying hi we've read the book too thread or will this thread be going thru the study guide & be an actual study group?

i actually bought the 4 pack of books which they had on sale which has all 4 of her books then seperately purchased the study guides for all 4 books as well

like others here i gave the husband version of the book & study guide to my husband byron as well as the small book of prayers but he's not interested in reading any of them - when i moved i'm unsure if he meant to give me back the book & study guide or if it was accidental since there were a few of his own magazines & 2 books of his own reading in the pile of stuff that he brought over to me

i'd like to join the discussion on the POTW & hope that we'll be doing an actual weekly study thru the book & study guide -

if anyone uses the instant messengers i use yahoo & msn messengers with the buddyname **edit** tell me that you saw me here on the marriage builders board

Last edited by JustUss; 11/09/11 07:33 AM. Reason: personal info
A
A
I had her book but had not read it and all of a sudden it was there and I was desperate. My husband of 34 years walked out about 9 months ago. We had gone to church and were christians for over 20 years. Long story short, he turned his back on me,kids ,grandkids and maybe even God. I've had a very hard time and her book seemed to help. I ask friends to pray special prayers and even gave my daughter-in-law a copy.Unfortunaley my husband has no intention of coming home when he can party elsewhere. We are filing a dissolution soon. I really loved the book,but it seems usless now.

M
M
Don't consider it useless & continue to read it & say the prayers especially the ones on his temptations & choices & for his deliverance

Do you have a regular prayer partner at your church who can & will pray with you?

This is your time to lean upon God to work upon your husband & for you to grow in your walk with God & family & for your own self

If you use yahoo or msn instant messengers feel free to add me to your buddy list i go by the name of **edit** just tell me where you got my name from & we can chat

Last edited by MBLBanker; 11/09/11 07:25 AM. Reason: removing personal info
V
V
I'm on day 14 and have seen changes in my life. Not changes in my husband, but MY life. I'm trying to have as much hope as possible. I am having trouble getting past the reality that HE doesn't want to work things out or even discuss why he wants a D. I may be confused forever! I do know that God has a plan for me whether it is for us to have an even better marriage than before (I didn't even know we were having troubles) or that He has someone out there for me that I can't even imagine! Either way, the evil that my husband is doing will be turned around for the good of me and the baby.

"You can't fall off the floor"

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 827 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation