Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
All<P> My wife suffers from Panic Disorder. If you are unfamiliar with it I have see it strike terror in her like I have never see before. These attacks come out of no where and for no reason. This disease defeats 100% of those it affects, it drives people to drink to do drugs ANYTHING to avoid this terror.<P> When she came down with it she took this on and got it under control in about 4 months. Recently it appears her medication has been losing it's effect and she has been losing ground. During her treatment she had to take on all her fears (within reason) and overcome them to a point that the fear was within normal limits. She is currently VERY DEPRESSED, her doctor went from asking her to take a vacation to visit her family to just about demanding it (fear of flying was one huddle she didn't deal with). I have now taken the position of YOUR GOING. She now has first class tickets for a plane trip for next monday. THIS TRIP IS GOING TO BE HARD ON HER, SHE WILL BE ALONE, HER MEDICATION WILL STOP A PANIC ATTACK BUT THE DEPRESSION I THINK WILL BE HELL.<P>SHE DESERVES SOMETHING, SOMETHING SPECIAL FOR TAKING THIS ON. I NEED IDEAS.<P>I am struck trying to get my sister-in-law to do this since I will be here so this ties my hands somewhat. I have come up with something like a purple heart or a plack but these seem to be to humorous. How about something like FTP some flowers with a special note to be waiting for her ?????<P>H<BR> E<BR> L<BR> P<P> ME !!!!!<P>Joe<BR>

L
L
Have something like that waiting for her when she arrives....it will definitely help to settle her down.<P>Also, how about something for her on the way? A number of cards or notes or both, encouraging loving, with TIMES on the envelope that you slip into her purse for her to open and read at intervals along the trip - every fifteen minutes if she needs to. That might help break the trip down into managable units with something to look forward to after each unit has passed. And it's more comforting to anticipate a new note or card than to re-read the same one. And something for her to hold on to during the trip. I have a stone with "courage" printed on it that my SIL gave me at the beginning of this mess. Small enough to put into my pocket and I found myself fingering it constantly on bad days. Or Hallmark has those little pennies with the hearts cut out of them...something little to grab to give you strength and courage and let you know you're not alone. There are tiny clip-on stuffed animals that will clip on her handbag, tons of little stuff. Wrap tiny little "gifts", like the clip-ons above, a motivational or loving keychain, tiny statues, tons of stuff that won't take much room, easily fit in her purse and will help keep her spirits up. Heck, nothing helps more than knowing someone went to so much trouble for you!<P>You're terrific for doing this. And both of you will be in our prayers.<P>Lori<P>

B
B
Don't know if she's into this or not, but I would get her something soft and comforting for the plane. One of those really super soft gund stuffed animals, or if she has a favorite afghan...<P>A headset with really calming music. A tape for her to listen to with your voice telling her how much you love her.<P>Just off the top of my head

GB,<P>How about a tape player with "Books-on-Tape"?<BR>If she enjoys books this is a great way to make time pass quickly - you close your eyes kind of get lost in the story.<P>To make it <B>really</B> special (if you have time) You make the tape for her! record your own voice reading. Then you can put personal messages in between chapters. Tell her how much you love her, how proud you are that she is working at overcoming her fears. Tell her jokes to make her laugh... you get the idea.<P>Good luck!

B
B
Wow, great ideas..... <BR>I like the books on tape idea the best. I buy them to listen to on long (and short) car trips and during my hour commute to work.<P>Don't forget a care package with some of her favorite "comfort food" snacks..... m&m's, chocolate truffles, oreo's... (OK, so those are my favorites [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]).<P>Of corse, the best would be if you could go with her and hold her hand, but that doesn't always work.... maybe get the stuffed animal that "matches" you best.... My X gave me a gorilla once (cuz he's hairy [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com])... get the idea?<P>Good luck!<BR>Butterfly<P>------------------<BR>There are deep sorrows and killing cares in life, but the encouragement and love of friends were given us to make all difficulties bearable. <BR>-- John Oliver Holmes<P>The opposite of love is not hate, it's indifference.<BR>-- Elie Wiesel<P><BR>

G
G
All,<BR> Thanks for the ideas. She loves the books from the Oprah book club and I have already picked two that she hasn't read yet. I love the ideas of hit hering with many different little things often during the trip. Her medication will help but to preoccupier her mind with what I'll pull next will make a big difference.<P>Thanks [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]:<BR>Joe<P>

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 676 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation