Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#422937 03/04/03 03:37 PM
B
OP Offline
B
My husband has been caught by me 3 times over the last year spending lots of money visiting strip clubs ($6000 over 5 weeks the first time; most on one two night visit in Las Vegas for a bachelor party). He says that he goes to get warm loving feelings that he doesn't get from me. He feels that he has for years been reaching out to me but that he is not getting what he needs in terms of physical or emotional intimacy.

The first two times when caught he was remorseful and swore he would never go to the clubs again. But he did, and the behavior escalated to where he is a regular and at this point cultivating relationships.

A few weeks ago, I knew he was hiding stuff from me and I snooped. I was able to pull up a copy of his cell phone invoice over the Internet. It revealed that he's been making calls to clubs for months, that he's been calling massage parlors (adult massage), and that he called two separate women most days - usually multiple times a day. Anyway, we had a huge blow out, I asked him to leave - then asked him to return a few days later. He wasn't so remorseful this time when caught; more irritated that I snooped and frustrated by his lack of privacy. During those few days when I asked him to leave, he cancelled my cell phone (so I don't have access to the account), and set up his own personal checking account (again, so I don't have access to the paper trail).

I found out that one of the women was a stripper at the club. He calls her all the time, has "felt her up", taken her out twice on dates away from the club, and stopped by to see her at work frequently. When she wasn't at the club, he would call her to ask is she was "avoiding him". The other woman . . . apparently they are just friends - it is not sexual -- not a threat -- he just enjoys talking to her. I also found out that he has gotten a massage once where he got jXrked off.

Needless to say, I'm devastated. We've been together 17 years and I would have never guessed him to be the type of person that could hurt me in this way. I feel both physically and emotionally betrayed.

We are now in counseling. At our first session, the counselor asked him to make an agreement with me not to frequent massage parlors or strip clubs, and not to cultivate relationships. He also said that he needed to tell me if he intended to do any of the above before he was intending to do it.

Our second session, I told him I was full of anxiety and that I wasn't coping well. I feel like I need to know every little detail to put it to bed and my husband says I know everything. He hates to sit with me and answer questions, and can't understand why I just can't get over it and move on. The counselor said that my husband could essentially choose whether or not to answer me. He's a good counselor, but I'm frustrated that he isn't telling my husband that he should sit with me, no matter how difficult, and answer my questions until I stop asking.

My husband has a job where he travels a lot of the time. He's been out of town; returned 1:30 a.m. this morning. We were in bed together this morning, and as much as I tried to stop myself, I began asking questions about the stripper . . . "do her boobs feel like mine" etc. I felt so overwhelmed with emotions I couldn't even nurture him the way I know he wanted to be nurtured. And, of course this upset him since we haven't seen each other in several days. He's in town the rest of this week, then out of town for the rest of March. So I need to be on my best behavior this week to keep him engaged in the relationship.

My question is this; how do I get the visions of him flirting with other women, touching other women, having drinks and good conversation with other women out of my head? It's like I'm obsessed or something and it is ruining our limited time together.

I told him that I am grieving and that I don't feel like things are ok, yet if I put all kinds of stress on him (as I've been doing through my actions and words) I'll continue to drive him away. He told me over the weekend that my behavior was driving him away.

I found this web site yesterday and have really enjoyed it. I want badly to salvage the relationship. We have a lot of good reasons to stay together and I want to work it out and get the relationship back on course.

Another question . . . His best recreational times are spent with other people. The nature of his job is to wine & dine people so he spends a lot of time in restaurants, bars, at conventions etc. with other people. We have kids so our existence together is more routine. He thinks I'm boring and no fun . . .yet he never asks me out. It's too big of a hassle with the kids - and because he goes out all the time . . . when he's home - he likes to be home.

Any words of encouragement would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

#422938 03/04/03 03:42 PM
T
T
Hi,

you need to post this in the first section. you will not get much response. You need to read evrthing on this site.

Toyman

#422939 03/04/03 04:56 PM
A
A
hi betrayed, sorry for your pain. I'm only few weeks from dday for my WH PA, so cant offer much advice. How you are feeling is completely normal for us BS. I too obsess, compare etc. Its abit like doing a survey to assess the damage to your M. The visions are also normal for BS and seem to take over our minds. It could be an idea to change counselors, a bad one can do more harm than good. Your H needs to discuss the A, and understand how he got to choosing such a destructive path. Only then can you move forward, and prevent another A. My H lied about his A putting me thru further pain. he only came clean when i confronted him with evidence. only since truth has come out has he been showing remorse and taking full responsibility for his A. read and keep posting, and take care

#422940 03/04/03 05:18 PM
D
D
Hey Betrayed2003 -

Sounds like your hubby is a sex-addict. Tell him to join the club. (I'm a sex-addict also.)

This site isn't really oriented towards the "addiction" side of things, but I did find a contact here who has been helping me - Cerri. ( info_lifeworkscoaching@yahoo.com - http://www.saveyourmarriagecentral.com )

Your hubby will need some help to beat this - he should join a local sex addicts group, website, see a counselor who specializes in inappropriate sexual behaviors, whatever. He will need HELP to break this addiction, and it won't be easy. And, the motivation has got to come from him.

Good luck. Let him know that he's not the only one struggling with this, and I sincerely wish him the best, and hope he is a success story.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 430 guests, and 65 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation