Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#430832 06/17/03 10:32 AM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks Ammon.

Well, he says he does, but you're right...I don't believe him. For the last 9 years, I've been the primary wage earner (although not the sole one)and much of what we have is the result of my efforts. He has his daughter because I'm in the picture, and he knows it. So its difficult to believe he's staying for the right reasons and not the wrong ones. If asked, of course, he says he's there for the right reasons, and wouldn't be there if he weren't, but I know how many "security" issues are a stake for him, and knowing him don't believe that he would confess he's there for the wrong ones.

I agree he needs counselling first to deal with his problems. What I want is for him to see "her" as the slime she really is. She was actually involved with someone else at the same time she was with him, so while she was telling him she loved him, she's seeing this other guy. Geez. Does ANYONE have any morals anymore? So I can't understand why he would care about her at all anymore, but he says he does....that he cares if he hurts her feelings, etc. Whatever. I think the real issue here is that he needs external things to make him feel good about himself. he needs people to think he's great...he needs to belong...he needs to fit in...
not my problem. Bottom line is that he has no set of basic tenets which guide and direct his actions...nothing is taboo and nothing is enough to make him want to feel okay about himself without having that need filled by external stuff...that's why he frequents the tiny neighborhood bars...he can tell any story he wants, paint any picture of himself he wants, and no one knows him, so its okay. Then he can temporarily feel good about himself.

But understanding it myself doesn't do me a whole heck of a lot of good.

#430833 06/17/03 04:09 PM
A
A
Tampa --

You are very welcome to anything that any of us on the board can give you. I don't often get my own "headline" around here so I thought I'd respond on this thread rather than go back to your original one.

You say, "not my problem," but in actuality, it IS yours since it's an marital extension of his. If he didn't have his problems, you two would certainly be a lot better off and much more solidly situated. Get him "fixed" and most if not all of those issues would disappear. I think it's a primary direction for your relationship.

Also, understanding it all yourself really DOES do you a whole heck of a lot of good. Understanding produces meaning beyond the surface factors; knowledge brings reassurance and comfort and a measure of wisdom into your "mad" world. The more you know about him and his problems, the better you'll be able to cope and stabilize and adjust and heal.

As long as The Fog rules him, not much chance he'll see the OW as a "slime." His vision is obscured enough to see her as something other than what and who she really is. He's bought into a package with her that has damaged you and your marriage, and that damage includes himself (he just doesn't know it yet). He can't be clear of her influence until he allows himself to see this for what it is.

He still has his inherent goodness and morals but they've been put on hold, shoved in the back corner of a drawer and forgotten about. He's chosen a terribly destructive path for both of you. I'm not a psychiatrist but it sounds like those ol' self-esteem issues to me. I think you've diagnosed the root problems very well. Nothing wrong with wanting to feel good about oneself, but when the methods hurt others and one's primary relationship, it's a guaranteed recipe for structural damage.

It hurts a lot to think that he's putting OW's feelings above yours, but that just shows how far askew is his clouded judgement, how far he's fallen. Where's his sense of responsibility, of decency, of obligation? All resting irresponsibly on that back burner, out of the way. Out of sight, out of mind.

But there's hope for you, so you have to hang in there and be as stable as possible. Know that this can be turned around and be actually better than it was. Have you had any luck with getting him a counselor or someone for the two of you? You will need to be proactive in this as it's probable that he won't do the seeking-out himself. You're going to have to make it happen: find the counselor, do the calling, set the appointments, whatever it takes to get him in and started.

You have a good understanding of the issues and problems, now it's just a matter of getting started on the solutions. A long road but a necessary one. We're here for you...

Ammon

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 728 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation