Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
E
elo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi, <P>If you have taken anti-depressants, I would be curious to hear your experience.<P>Harley's suggest them in Plan B.<P>elo

N
NSR Offline
N
You'll get much more response on the <A HREF="http://www.marriagebuilders.com/cgi-bin/forumdisplay.cgi?action=topics&number=37&DaysPrune=10&LastLogin=" TARGET=_blank>General Questions II</A> forum...<P>...it is a "general" enough type question.<P>BTW: I used to be on St. Johns Wart..<BR>...with only 8 days before my divorce signing...<BR>...I think I'll start again. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P> [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Jim

E
elo Offline OP
OP Offline
E
Hi Jim, <BR>Been thinking about you and hope you are coping with your situation and holding your hear high. You seem to be strong and so helpful with your comments.<P>I put question about anti-depressants on both boards.<P>Thanks for suggestions.<P>elo

O
O
Hello elo,<P>I take Effexor. Normal dosage once a day (225 mg), with an additional 75 mg. to deal with PMS.<P>I also take a 25 mg dose of Nortriptyline at bedtime. It calms me down so that I can sleep.<P>Additionally, I'm wearing a night-guard. The stress has been such that I'm grinding my teeth when I sleep. I was beginning to have some severe jaw pain from the intense grinding.<P>====<BR>I had been on a higher dosage of Nortriptyline, but it was ineffectual.<P>I've also been on Wellbutrin. But I had some severe side effects with it.<P>Advice?<BR>Don't be afraid to give them a try.<BR>Be prepared to switch medications several times before you find what works for you.<BR>If the medications aren't working, consider changing Drs. I had to do that too.<BR>And go to your Dr. and get a full work-up to check out everything that may be causing the problems before you begin taking any medications: including thyroid, natural steroids, and hormones.<P>Good luck,<BR>~Amy

M
M
I've taken Zoloft and am now on Celexa. I would highly recommend them during all of this. Just helps as one more coping tool.<P>Aloha,<BR>Mrs.O<BR>

M
M
Outof Fog.....How is the med. for PMS? I just came back from the doctors, I went there for a sore throat but I cursed everyone on the road just getting to the doctors, I have zero patience w/my kids - its horrible...so I mentioned it and he prescribed what you are taking. So has it helped? side effects? Thanks, Magoskid

L
L
Dear elo,<P>I started taking anti-depressants after reading what Dr. Harley had to say about them and how they could help through this very difficult time. I was reluctant at first, but was becoming unable to function at work and at home and my children need me so badly that I decided to give them a try. I take Effexor, a very mild anti-depressant, and I have a low dose,(5mg), of Valium to take if I'm really stressed and to help me sleep at night. I usually only take 1/2 of the Valium tablet and try not to take it very often......probably should......I just don't like to take meds. I have had no bad side effects with either of these, but have become much calmer and clearer headed so I would recommend them to help get you through this. Hope this has helped. Good luck and my prayers are with you.<P>lonelyheart [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

S
S
Elo, I was on Elavil for about a month following d-day and I believe it saved me from a total meltdown. My H (the BS) left right after d-day and I was an emotional basketcase.<P>However, I didn't continue for more than a month b/c the damned things made me really tired - all I wanted to do was sleep.

B
B
My physician recommended them within minutes of my visit to her. I have not taken them yet. I actually never plan to. My husband (WS) wants me to take thme so that he can feel better. I have recommended other remedies like communicating. I admit that I do not feel well most of the time. I've lost about 20 pounds and counting. No concentration at work (for example , I'm here at work doing this) I'm tearful 24/7). With all of that I won't take drugs to get me through this. Maybe I'm punishing myself for my part in his A.

R
R
Ihave had terrible luck with trying anti depressants several times<BR>I have had much better luck with anxyiolytics, such as alprazolam.<BR>Very low doses, very infrequently, help a lot. And it comes on to do its thing quickly and is all gone in 12 hours. This is unlike anti-depressants which take weeks to have benefit.<BR>Don't be afraid of a benzodiazepine, most of which are cheap.. and if you don't like them, they are out of your system.<BR>Good Luck<BR>R

O
O
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by magoskid:<BR><B>Outof Fog.....How is the med. for PMS? I just came back from the doctors, I went there for a sore throat but I cursed everyone on the road just getting to the doctors, I have zero patience w/my kids - its horrible...so I mentioned it and he prescribed what you are taking. So has it helped? side effects? Thanks, Magoskid </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Magoskid,<P>Sorry about the delay in getting back to you. I don't check all the postings everyday.<P>The boost helps. When I met with my Dr. she told me that I can take the extra pill when things get more stressed than usual (since I am going through divorce). She's let me play with the meds. to see what works for me. I shift the Nortriptyline over to take it at the same time that I take the extra pill. Together they work wonderfully.<P>Effexor is for depression.<BR>Nortriptyline is for anxiety, i.e. stress.<P>Yes, it does help. Decidedly.<P>Side effects? [Do you really want to know this?]: <BR>Dry mouth, flatulence, and what I've called 'little poops' (instead of one or two big one's each day, little one's every time I go to the bathroom). <BR>My Dr. says that all of these are 'normal'. <BR>None of them are really a nuisance. I drink more water and I may make one or two more bathroom trips each day.<P>Some things about the Effexor:<BR>It's a medication that you have to titrate up on the dosage.<BR>225 mg. is a 'normal' dosage. <BR>You can't suddenly stop taking it. You have to be weaned off of it. [So I'm not sure if it is something that you can take only occasionally.]<P>~Amy

S
S
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by out of the fog:<BR><B><BR>Some things about the Effexor:<P>...You can't suddenly stop taking it. You have to be weaned off of it. [So I'm not sure if it is something that you can take only occasionally.]<BR></B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><BR>The same goes for Paxil. My wife was on it and got off without consulting her doctor. She then resumed, again without consulting the doctor. Soon thereafter she had a full blown manic episode requiring hospitalization. So, be cautious about sudden changes in medication, and don't make changes on your own.<P>As Amy mentioned, response to anti-deps is highly individual, often requiring trial and error. After her manic episode, my wife was put on Effexor, but it didn't work well for her. She's now back on the Paxil, but now also takes Depacote to prevent the manic reaction.<P>I don't mean to scare you away from anti-deps with this post, just to say that they are prescription meds, and it's important to work closely with your doctor. Keeping a journal so that you can give the doctor feedback on how the medication seems to affect you is a good idea.<P>Good luck,<P>Steve<BR>

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 629 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation