Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
M
Melissa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
A month ago I thought our marriage was DEFINITELY headed to a divorce court... I couldn't see HOW we could get past everything. I felt unsupported, he felt unsupported. I knew I still loved him, but I didn't know why and for how much longer I would have that feeling. The ONLY thing keeping me in that house was our son... I didn't want to separate the two of them.<P>Well, it's a month later... and things got a little worse and I felt even MORE sure we wouldn't make it, and then just as suddenly, things got better... much better.<P>Now we are enjoying each other's company, touching more often and so on. I know we are BOTH working on it, and there is still a lot of "trust" issues to work on, but we are both hopeful and are BOTH happy with things right now.<P>And do you know what a LOT of it was? I was suffering from depression - a mild chronic form and I started going to a therapist and then (about a month ago) started taking prozac. After two weeks I "suddenly" started feeling less negative... I didn't "see" things in the same way. I realized I was being more harsh than I needed to be and saw the problems we had as smaller.<P>My husband has said for YEARS that I see things in a distorted way, but I didn't believe him... I thought he did... Well, now that I have my brain in better working order I see he was mostly right. Yes, we have things to work on and yes, he has made some mistakes too, but it was more ME than anything else.... fortunately, it was fixed early enough AND he is able to "forgive" me.<P>And I hate the idea of being dependent on a drug, but if I NEED it, then I should take it. It doesn't make me feel HAPPY, but it definitely keeps my thoughts more neutral and not always so negative.<P>Anyone else have thoughts on this?<P><BR>Melissa

B
B
Melissa, Thank you for giving us hope!!!<P>I have one question to you. What made go to the therapist? And was it the therapist who prescribed the med? I cannot get my h to see that he needs evaluation. I see, and everyone else sees that he is depressed, how much, who knows? He won't see a dr. Our counselor is not an md. Any suggestions on how to get him to at least see a dr?<BR>Thanks.<BR>Tina

M
Melissa Offline OP
OP Offline
M
why did I go in? Well, two reasons... One, I was suffering from a minor binge eating disorder, but I also knew, I knew something was up - no one should go through life always feeling blue.<P>I did it because even though I KNEW my husband was wrong, I wanted to be sure... wanted to test this out before I made any leaps... and I'm glad I did. It seems my husband WASN'T that wrong - yes a little, but it was me BY FAR...<P>But some people never get there. Maybe you can switch to marital therapy by someone who can give out prescriptions - if he/she sees the problem, then maybe he/she will recommend it.<P>Of course, for a anti-depressant and for counseling to work properly, the person has got to HOPE or BELIEVE in it - not fighting it... <P>melissa

M
M
Melissa,<P>Good for You!!! I'm glad you are finding that life is a little easier on Prozac. I don't think you should feel bad about it at all. The purpose of an anti-depressant is to help relieve some of the depression. I have been on anti-depressants in the past and I found them to be very helpful. <P>It's not like your happiness depends on the Prozac, it just helps. Therapy is a hard and painful process. Sometimes the issues brought up in therapy seem to overwhelm you. The Prozac helps keep things in perspective. <P>Also, give yourself some credit. Maybe your recent happiness is because you are finally in control of your future and on the right track for healing. You are taking a step to make your life better! That feeling is great!<P>Keep up the good work. One day you'll realize how much better you feel and you'll also realize you don't even need the Prozac anymore; but for now you are doing the best you can for yourself.<P>Take care.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 441 guests, and 58 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation