Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#57246 09/07/01 01:59 PM
H
OP Offline
H
Major problems. My fiancee and I have been engagged for approximately 9 months and are going into our third year of being together. In the beginning things could not have been better; this includes my relationship with her family as well as sharing the same goals and ideas for our future. There was a sudden change in the above mentioned after we got engagged. The event really showed my how she was "afraid" of speaking up for herself. I quickly learned that it was taboo to sepak of money in her family. After some time, she and her parents came up with a $ for the wedding, my parents matched that amount. At this time she also became very interested in going to medical scholl so she started takeing the prerequsits. This decison did not involve a conversation between us. Time went on and we realized that her parents were not supportive of this wedding. We were arguing about this because she was more focued in her classes than she was in planning th wedding with was scheduled for 12.24.01. SHe moved out of her parents house and in with me. I did not approve but it was better thatn her being around them. The medical school saga increased with me not wanting to up and move just so she could got to school. I have a great career and feel that there are plenty of schools (5) in our area where she could attend. My stance was that if you want to go to medical scool it will have to be in our area. The other part of the argument was $$$$. It was mentioned to he by her sister that her parent swould help but she was once again afraid to ask. We had a huge arguement because she did not want to confront her parents. As it turns out her parent got involved in our relationship. The father accused me of buying his daugther and as far as they were concerned they were not paying for the weeding and would not observed the 12.24.01 date. She made the mistake of confiding in her parents with our problems.<P>Here I am a couple of months later feeling lost and betrayed. I have feelings of resent because our goals and ideas have shifted drastically. My fear that she allows her parents to control her every move. Doubt has been introduced and I'm not sure if she is committed to me as I am to her. She is like a roller coaster with everything and I'm skeptical of setting anonther wedding date. <P>There are many more details but this is just a start. We are sceduled to see a counseler but it is 2.5 weeks away.<P>What to do?

#57247 09/07/01 03:23 PM
?
??? Offline
?
I think the counseling is a great idea. Pre-marital counseling should be a requirement! Find out if the counselor has a *pre-marital inventory* test you can take. It brings up a whole lot of issues that you may not have discussed. Best of luck to you.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (Ardent Center), 166 guests, and 174 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T
71,842 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation