Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#60337 03/23/05 01:21 AM
D
OP Offline
D
I have so much built up resentment toward my mother in law..and I do not know what to do. She lives 4 miles away,and I am sick of being "fake"
It started when we purchased our home, she told us she would buy a washing machine as our housewarming gift, never happened. The next summer, told us she would buy us a patio set for our housewarming gift..never happened. I dismissed this, because her husband (myfather in law) helped us out alot in the move, etc. My husband and I purchased our home two years before getting hitched, and things were fine until the wedding..ugh. My family lives 2500 miles away, and he has a huge family (90% of which they hate, talk about behind their backs, but feel "obligated" to invite to functions) Since the mother in law gave me a list of 175 people to invite to our 250 guest wedding, I felt that she should help with the cost. She agreed, and we split the bill in thirds, 1/3 i paid 1/3 my mom paid, and 1/3 the mother in law was spossed to pay. She never did. Never mentioned it, just as she did not mention anything with the washer, and patio set. I am so deeply upset at her, but cannot express it, because my husband thinks that it will just "stir the pot" that is how his mom is, and just leave it at that. Now, EVERYTHING she does makes me so mad. I am seeing so far past the "nice mother in law" that I once thought I knew. She makes me feel obligated to go to family functions of people I dont even know. My husband and I skipped Thanksgiving because we wanted to have our own thanksgiving as newlyweds, she neglected to tell the host, and called at 7pm wondering where we were, why we were not there..and made the rest of the family think that we just flaked out on them. I am going home to visit my family for easter, and since I had easter at my house ONCE, she said " so, are you going to have easter at your house next year, because I dont want people to go somewhere else for easter, and start new traditions" ANd on top of that..and the one Easter party I hosted, she had the audacity (sp?) to tell me that the "way they do it here" is to have brunch, and my idea of Easter dinner was nixed.

To add even more, she stops by our house unexpected alot. I feel paranoid to be intimate with my HUSBAND, since she just might "pop in " without knocking, well,,she does yell "hello" as she opens the front door. We have recently done work on our house, and she called to see if I was going to be home today, because she wanted to stop by to drop something off. (She actually called!) BUT, whenI told her that my husband and I were not going to be there, she said "Okay, well I will stop by and drop it off" I KNEW she was just being nosy, and wanted to see the finished house, but I do not want her snooping around my house! I wrote a note to my husband (I was getting home late) that said how much I love him, things that I do not want my mother in law reading. This was on the countertop,and I know she read it. She drives me nuts, and I cant keep calling my mom to complain because she is so far away, and she is sick of hearing me complain. I feel like I dont have the guts to say anything, and would jumble my words, if I did confront her..oh yeah,,,she is VERY easily offended. UGH...help!!

P
P
Hi there,

I do not have the right advice for you perhaps, but at least you know you are not alone. Im engaged, about to marry next month but have lived very near his mum.

Well she´s disgusting and fake in every single way, from calling me names to actually speak behind my back and pretend with a religious group she is part of.

Anyways, I´d suggest u to spek it up calmly with your husband, express how you feel about it without losing control and he must stand up for you.
Why dont u read the Joint Agreement ? It´s well explained on this site and quite helpful. Dr. Harley gives good insight on this and also I´ve seen 2 letters about mothers in law like these.

Also, my very own opinion is not to stop intimacy with your husband because of her, if she pops up and you are busy, then she will take it and feel ashamed of this intrusion.

You are married and shouldnt limit your lovemaking. She will learn how to knock next time or risk it. You are not doing anything wrong here, she is the one who needs to buy a life 4 herself!

Good luck!

T
T
You can't lock your door?

Me - 32
H - 44
Married - 6.5 years

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 459 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation