Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#63366 11/09/04 01:02 AM
L
LJ77 Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I have been married for almost one year now and my husband wants us to spend Christmas with his x-girlfriend's family. Apparently, he grew very close to this family and even considers them his "family" during a time when his real family wasn't really there for him. I do not feel comfortable spending time with this family especially at Christmas. Two of the family members visited us recently for my husband's birthday in August - which I believe was generous on my part. The family members, specifically his x-girlfriend's sisters, are constantly begging him to come visit and make him feel very guilty when he misses something, like a graduation. Sometimes, I feel like I am burdening him by keeping him away from the "family" he cares about most, yet it hurts me that he would even ask me to spend Christmas with them. Comments?

#63367 11/22/04 10:39 AM
S
S
LJ...

hmmmmm It really does sound like an uncomfortable situation, for you anyway. I like hearing of your supportive efforts in the past to include these important people in your lives. I think you have been open and accepting. Obviously, you are not ready for the full blown, "we're family now" thing, and I can't blame you. Especially at such a special time of year, the holidays, you should not be in such an awkward predicament. I think you need to be fully upfront with your husband and tell him how you feel. Perhaps you can compromise by agreeing to a short visit, but not the day/dinner thing. It certainly sounds like he has a close relationship with these people, but is he holding on to too much of the past? He has married you, after all. Maybe it is time to start new traditions together.

I know it is easier said than done, and every situation is different. I still have a relationship with my Exhusband's family, though we do have two children together, too. His family is wonderful and has always been so kind to me, my family and to my new husband. And there are functions throughout the year that involve the kids and we all participate easily. Still, I don't think I would consider sharing the holiday all together. We have separate lives now and the line has got to be drawn somewhere, right?

Kind of reminds me a bit of my Mother in Law. She kind of "forces" her friends at me. I explain to her that I need my own time to develop feelings and a relationship with someone, and it isn't dependent on whether or not she thinks they are wonderful. I think this applies in your situation, too.

Good Luck. Let me know how you make out. SGE

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 629 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation