Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
OP Offline
J
This topic was brought up a few months ago and I just felt like this was an appropriate time to bring it back.<P>The purpose of this exercise to share some of the postitive aspects we have about living alone. My list is pretty basic, but here it goes....<P>1. I can eat my macaroni and cheese out of the pan<BR>2. There is crunchy peanut butter in the pantry<BR>3. I can paint my bedroom the color that I want<BR>4. I leave my shoes where ever I take them off<BR>5. I have half the dishes to worry about<BR>6. I can empty the trash cans 1x a week instead of 3x a week<BR>7. I always have hot water<BR>8. I can sleep in the middle of my bed (unless my dog disagrees)<BR>9. I have twice the ice in my freezer<BR>10. I can watch movies with my surround sound at the level I like<BR>11. I can channel surf without being griped at<BR>12. I can do whatever, whenever I want in MY OWN HOUSE<BR>

C
C
I like this topic...<P>I control the remote.<BR>I have the computer 100% of the time <BR>

F
F
1. I can eat a bowl of Captain Crunch cereal for dinner if I want to.<BR>2. I can sing along with the songs on the radio.<BR>3. I can buy new, girly, flowery sheets!<BR>4. I leave my shoes in the middle of the floor (with my kids' shoes [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]).<BR>5. I leave the dishes until tomorrow night.<BR>6. I have LOADS less laundry to do!<BR>7. I can take a hot bath, and my kids let me!<BR>8. I can sleep with my dog AND my cat on the bed with me.<BR>9. I get some of the ice cream before it is gone.<BR>10. I can crank up the volume on the stereo as loud as I like.<BR>11. I control the remote!!!<BR>12. I can dance to a good song without anyone looking at me like an alien has taken over my body. The kids just dance with me.<BR>13. I can read a book.<BR>14. I can get something for myself and I get to keep it (no one "borrows" it).<P><BR>I'm glad you brought up this topic again. I think I'll do it in reverse on another thread: "Good Things About Living With Someone". Jayhawk, thanks for reminding us all that there are some fun benefits to being on your own!<P>CJ<BR><P>------------------<BR>Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

S
S
Y'know, I only lived alone a few days when I moved to this new place. Then a new relationship (the interim one that has been over since September) kicked in. <P>I really don't think I would enjoy living alone. Not really. I could handle it, I just wouldn't want to do it for any length of time.

R
R
I've been living on my own for a week now. I am trying to make the most out of it, as it was basically out of my control. Thanks for bringing some lightheartedness about a yucky situation. <P>Aside from all of the pros-When will I sleep through the night?????? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
I didn't think I would like being alone, but now it is great. <BR>1. Do what I want on week-ends.<BR>2. Spend my money the way I want.<BR>3. Take vacations that I enjoy.<BR>4. Don't have to tell anyone where I am going.<BR>5. Can go whenever the mood fits.

T
T
<BR>I like this topic!!<P>1. I don't have to make coffee at 4:00 am because someone can't get himself up to make it.<BR>2. I don't have to smell and see spilled coffee and stains on every inch of the floor and most of the furniture because someone can't handle a coffee cup.<BR>3. I don't have to deal with the wads of loose hair and stench and stains from a non-housebroken adult dog who was never trained to stay off furniture, or to poo outside for that matter, just because someone thinks the dog needs to be inside but must never be reprimanded.<BR>4. I can listen to whatever kind of music I like without hearing through every song why someone else thinks it 'sucks'.<BR>5. It is SOOOOOOOOOO quiet!!!<BR>6. I don't have to pick up someone's dirty clothes and dishes from all over the house.<BR>7. I can watch whatever I want to watch on television, or, more importantly, leave the da** thing OFF all day long.<BR>8. I can use the computer any time I want, and don't have to clear the history file and log out of my chat/email services every time I walk away from the PC for two minutes to keep someone suspicious of my every move out of my business.<BR>9. I can come home without a knot in my stomach from wondering what kind of mood someone will be in.<BR>10. I can be gone for as long as I want without someone demanding to know where I was and who I was with for every minute I was gone.<BR>11. Did I mention coffee??<P>

W
W
I was so lonely at first, that all I wanted in the world was to meet someone else right away. Things have definitely changed. I love having my own house and stuff, and everything is just how I want it. And I'm not alone, this has made me realize how many people I really have in my life and it's a lot.<P>Yesterday a friend of mine introduced me to her single brother. Now, an honest person will admit that when you meet a single person of the opposite sex, there is a slight sizing up of that person for any possible potential. Right? Let's be honest. Well, my mind went there for about 5 seconds and just said yuck. Nothing against her brother, he was just fine, it's just the thought of getting into another relationship that turns me so off right now.<P>I like being on my own. That's all I can say and that doesn't mean that wouldn't change later, doesn't mean I hate men or anything, but I really do like it the way it is. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>------------------<P>Kathy<p>[This message has been edited by weirded out (edited February 14, 2001).]

B
B
Ok, I know that after a year and a half of living alone, my list has changed some... I might have to go back and read the old thread(s) to see what has changed!<P>The TV is not on ALL the time. And when it is, I like what's on!<P>I no longer have the "electronic leash"... I don't have to carry a pager and cell phone all the time, and worry about getting yelled at if I'm ever in an out of service area.<P>I can do what I want, go where I want, whenever I want.<P>Actually having money left after paying the bills (or even enough to pay them all).<P>Less laundry, fewer dishes, and no dirty socks in strange places.<P>Vacations to NEW and Interesting places. Weekend trips!!<P>Not being waken at 2-5 am by someone stumbling home from work.<P>Complete control of the remote, computer, heat, A/C, and bathroom.<P>No more hang up calls at all hours. <P>I could go on and on and on.... <BR>Smooches,<BR>B<p>[This message has been edited by Butterfly (edited February 15, 2001).]

W
W
Well, i have lived by myself for since July 1, and I like it right now. I had one bout of loneliness in the fall, around September/October, when there was nothing to do for a couple of weeks, but i'm excited about the future right now.<P>1) I can travel when and where I want to.<BR>2) I am leaving for disney for a week with my kids tomorrow and don't have to listen to tons of complaining and fear of flying.<BR>3) I have trips planned for the next several months, without having to coordinate with 3 other schedules.<BR>4) I don't have to listen to someone complain and be disappointed for secret, unfulfilled expectations that I didn't have a clue about.<P>Right now, the only part i am missing is<BR>it would be nice to travel and explore with someone to share fun times and memories. Yes, Nashville reminded me of what my life was like before kids, when X wasn't afraid of travelling and wasn't obsessive compulsive about visiting the gymn for 2+ hours daily, and could leave home without feeling mentally scared. I don't mind taking the kids traveling either, its just different with them, but we still get to explore new places. <BR>In the end, its not the day to day activities and schedules i remember or plan for, that just happens anyway. its the trips, outside the daily routine activities that i value and remember. its the different places and unique events that i remember. and that doesn't include the same event, each year to observe the subtle changes from one year to the next, X's favorite idea of exploring. <P>So i'm back to traveling, got a week sailing and snorkeling in the Caribbean in March, and then a week with kids in April I'm not sure where to go with yet.<P>I have a trip in May, and then summer starts and I have to plan where to take the kids for two weeks, that one is a lot harder, there are so many good choices! Plus, my dad wants to go sailing for a week in the summer, and i get to show him that I can take the boat out by myself, so he can let me take friends sailing without him! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Well, its time for fun, I've spent too many hours working for a stinkin' company that doesn't value employees and hard work, and hates granting vacations, and living with someone scared to do new and different.<P><B> let the trips begin! </B><P>tom<P>

T
T
I've lived at least half of my adulthood alone. I could easily go either way.<P>Right now I have a roommate, so it is not the same as living alone. I joke with my friends that it is almost the same as being married, but without the sex LOL.<P>What I like about not living with a man (I'm heterosexual)<BR>1) I can have a flowery bedroom if I want<BR>2) I can have good friends who are men<BR>3) I can get up in the middle of the night and work without someone worrying that there is something wrong with me<BR>4) I can come home anytime I want without someone worrying that I'm cheating<BR>5) I can wear what I want<BR>6) I can change my haircolor or hairstyle anytime I want without getting wierd looks from SO<BR>7) I never have to shave my legs<P><BR>What I like about living alone<BR>1) I don't have to clean up someone else's mess<BR>2) I don't have to tolerate their taste in furniture/decorating style<BR>3) I can get up in the middle of the night and play the radio as loud as I want<BR>4) No cigarette butts in my flower bed<P>So far, me and my roommate have done very well with the other things people tend to fight about...like dishes, trash, and alot of other items that fall under the category of "considerate behavior".<BR>

G
gsd Offline
G
Hmm. I have a roommate now, so I really odn't live alone, but I can call this positive aspects of sleeping alone:<P>1) I can leave laundry on the other side of my king size bed.<BR>2) I can sleep with my dogs.<BR>3) I can leave the closet doors open if I want (my ex's pet peeve)<BR>4) I can watch TV until 3 am<BR>5) I can pick either side of the bed.<P>I will say this, though. Since he left last June, I have switched to sleeping on the right side of the bed because it doesn't seem so lonely.

711 Offline
I can sit around in my robe and slippers all day if I want!<P>My sister doesn't yell at me for not following her rules about dating.<P>I only have to make up half of the bed.<P>I don't have to shave my legs!<P>

W
W
You ladies really ought to shave your legs [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>My sis and BIL have been living with me for the last year but on March20 they will get there own place and I will be living solo again...<P>What I look forward to...<BR>1)Walking around in my drawers if I want<BR>2)Nuclear(sp?) coffee<BR>3)Not having to wait to get my laundry in the machine<BR>4)Only my mess to clean<BR>5)All the hot water!!<BR>6)Comming and going as I please without having someone worry<BR>7)Shaving my legs everyday!<kidding><P>I'm certain I'll come up with more...<P>Bill<BR>

711 Offline
I still shave my legs, just not everyday. What's the point when they are all covered up anyway. You don't get as cold either. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

M
M
Ya know, there really isn't any reason to shave your legs in the winter! Jen is right, it keeps your legs warmer! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>And Bill, are you sure you were just kidding about shaving your legs?? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>My list...hmmmmm...<P>1. The TV can be turned off!<BR>2. Mac & cheese for dinner!<BR>3. Sweats and t-shirts if I want!<BR>4. No dirty men's underwear to pick up!<BR>5. No razor stubble in the sink!<BR>6. No dribbles on the toilet seat!<BR>7. I can sit in the recliner!<BR>8. I can go anywhere I want and don't have to ask if it's ok!<BR>9. I get to drive all the time!<BR>10. My choice of music in the car!<BR>11. I can stay online all day if I want!<BR>12. My friends can come to the house!<P>I can think of others but they're depressing and I don't want to go there!<P>Mitzi [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation