Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#684547 03/15/01 09:32 PM
J
OP Offline
J
I got this from a email. It's sort of long but I really found it interesting. Check it out....<P> <B>Adversity</B><P> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>A daughter complained to her father about her life and how things were so hard for her. She did not how she was going to make it and wanted to give up. She was tired of fighting and struggling. It seemed as one problem was solved a new one arose.<P>Her father, a chef, took her to the kitchen. He filled three pots with water and placed each on a high fire. Soon the pots came to a boil. In one the placed carrots, in the second he placed eggs, and the last he placed ground coffee beans. He let them sit and boil, without saying a word.<P>The daughter sucked her teeth and impatiently waited, wondering what he was doing. In about twenty minutes he and turned off the burners. He fished the carrots out and placed them in a bowl. He pulled the eggs out and placed them a bowl. Then he ladled the coffee out and placed it in a bowl.<P>Turning to her he asked. "Darling, what do you see."<P>"Carrots, eggs, and coffee," she replied.<P>He brought her closer and asked her to feel the carrots. She did and noted that they were soft. He then asked her to take an egg and break it. After pulling off the shell, she observed the hard- boiled egg. Finally, he asked her to sip the coffee. She smiled as she tasted its rich aroma.<P>She humbly asked. "What does it mean Father?"<P>He explained that each of them had faced the same adversity, boiling water, but each reacted differently.<P>The carrot went in strong, hard, and unrelenting. But after being subjected to the boiling water, it softened and became weak.<P>The egg had been fragile. Its thin outer shell had protected its liquid interior. But after sitting through the boiling water, its inside became hardened.<P>The ground coffee beans were unique however. After they were in the boiling water, they had changed the water.<P>"Which are you," he asked his daughter. "When adversity knocks on your door, how do you respond? Are you a carrot, an egg, or a coffee bean? "<BR>_________________________________________________________<P>How about you? <P>Are you the carrot that seems hard, but with pain and adversity do you wilt and become soft and lose your strength?<P>Are you the egg, which starts off with a malleable heart? Were you a fluid spirit, but after a death, a breakup, a divorce, or a layoff have you become hardened and stiff. Your shell looks the same, but are you bitter and tough with a stiff spirit and heart?<P>Or are you like the coffee bean? The bean changes the hot water, the thing that is bringing the pain, to its peak flavor reaches 212 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water gets the hottest, it just tastes better.<P>If you are like the bean, when things are at their worst, you get better and make things better around you.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>You know, as much as I would like to say that I'm the 'coffee bean', I know that I am not. I'm definitely working may way there but I must admit that I am still the 'egg'. At one time I was the 'carrot', but thank God I'm no longer there. But as far as the 'egg' scenario, I don't think that I'm bitter, however my insides are a little hard and numb after all this. So yes I have a ways to go, but I can feel that I'm definitely on my way....<P>Any thoughts.<BR><P>------------------<BR><B>God, Grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change...Courage to change the things I can...And the wisdom to know the difference.</B><P>lady_divine77@yahoo.com

#684548 03/17/01 01:35 AM
B
B
Hello,<P> I waffle between the egg and the coffee. This is not my First personal "tradegy", I have many others. Sometimes you have to be the egg, just to survive all of them. But thanks to GOD, I do survive, and then I can be the coffee again. <P> My heart feels like a roasted marshmello. I can't even spell it!! To lazy to look it up. Always had a marshmellow heart. I prefer to keep up my wall of defense, or people break my heart to easily. Tradegy makes me too sensitive.<BR>I am a real fighter for the underdog.<P><BR> Lots of Hugs and Prayers.<P>------------------<BR>Deb

#684549 03/16/01 03:16 PM
S
S
That coffee doesn't last long, it can get pretty bitter pretty quickly, and the beans get ground up and then unceremoniously thrown out after all their essence has been extracted from them. Then the drinker ... winds up jittery. <P>Both the carrot and egg are wholesome and nourishing to the consumer.

#684550 03/16/01 03:31 PM
R
R
jamie-lee,<P>In following the story......<P>"The bean changes the hot water, the thing that is bringing the pain, to its peak flavor reaches 212 degrees Fahrenheit. When the water gets the hottest, it just tastes better."<P>That'd be me!!!<P>Thanks for sharing with us!<P>Ragamuffin<BR>

#684551 03/16/01 04:16 PM
R
R
I'd say I'm more coffee now, started out as the carrot, and mabey more like a soft boiled egg at times. I've needed to become stronger and am proud at how far I've come. At times I get angry, but it is fleeting and not the real me. Those around me are starting to see the old Petrie shining through. I refuse to let this hard knock keep me down.<BR>Thank you for the story.<BR>Petrie [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>

#684552 03/16/01 04:42 PM
G
G
I think I'm the ladle. And I have no idea what that means. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>

#684553 03/16/01 05:59 PM
B
B
Hi jaimie<P>that was great. I loved it. I think I'm the coffee beans. Usually. With a bit of hard boiled egg thrown in.<P>One of the men at work, who knows a little of my story, saw me looking a bit down one day. He said this to me, and it's stayed with me since.<P>Jo, tough times don't last, but tough people do.<P>I'm not bitter or twisted, and I don't ever want to be like that. But I do have my moments. But as I've just posted to cpickel, I'm excited about my future, even tho I have no idea what it holds. Just re-discovering myself is a fantastic opportunity. I'm happy with my life and looking forward to more of it!!!<P>love and hugs to you<P>Jo

#684554 03/18/01 08:30 AM
T
T
<BR>I think I went into the boiling water (marriage) a carrot, spent a great deal of it soft and weak, and came out an egg with quite a thick shell ... but still not quite hard inside.<BR>

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,079 guests, and 45 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Mike69, petercgeelan, Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy
71,829 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation