Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
My marriage has been loveless and cold for the last 5 years. I was suffering and couldn’t endure it any longer so I moved out of my marital home on the pretext of a job promotion and secondment to another state 2 years ago. In the 5 years I reconciled myself with the fact that my marriage was dead and bit by bit I didn’t feel anything for her at all. There is NO more love, divorce was inescapable. I took this time away as separation. I go back home regularly to see the kids, staying at relatives and at our house sometimes. I was starting a new life abroad and was beginning to feel happy on my own. In the process of discovering myself, I met someone. Unplanned, not knowing, I fell deeply in love with her. We’ve been together for almost 2 years and the feelings just seemed to continue growing stronger. I was imagining my whole life with her. While I have wanted out of my marriage, she gave me the conviction to leave.<P>Told my wife and she pleaded me to stay and give it another try if not for her for the kids. I took sometime to make my decision and finally decided to stay because the guilt that I felt if I left my kids considering that my wife wants to stay now, was too overwhelming. When I came back here, I told my gf we had to end it, it wasn’t easy and went on for a few weeks. Until recently she said she couldn’t handle it and we had to stop. To have her tell me that was the most painful thing in my life. I cannot help myself, although I know the best thing I can do for her is leave, I can’t bear the thought of life without her. Though we don’t meet, I call her and email her to just find out how she is. I find myself passing by her office and home at times. I think of her with someone else and if she moves on with her life and it rips me apart. For her, I am sorry we fell in love because of the great pain I am causing her right now.<P>I honestly deep in me don’t think or perhaps even want my marriage to work. Its not arrogance but I just do not want to see a marriage counselor. I know I am causing everyone so much pain but this is how I feel. But subconsciously I feel that staying is the right thing to do. Perhaps I want to stay to prove to my wife that I tried and that the marriage has collapsed nonetheless but am I only fooling myself? To sleep with her is almost unimaginable and I am embarrassed when she says that she loves me as I know and have told her that I can’t say back right now. I am almost certain that my whole life except for my kids will be a total misery. If I wanted the love back maybe there could be hope, but what if u found a love so perfect its hard to settle for second best. I have never felt this was even when I first met my wife. I met a man who stayed in a loveless marriage for 20 years for his kids and now that they are out of college is planning for a divorce. I am 36 I don’t want to go through that for the next 20 yrs. But thus GUILT I have is it enough to make it through the next couple of years. How do u explain it? <BR>

L
Lu Offline
L
Hi there,<P> First welcome to MB ....read everything on this site. What you are experiencing is what happens in affairs, right down to the "I've been miserable for 5 years".(I'm not doubting you, but if you read awhile you will see what I mean). <P>The ONLY way you can rebuild your marriage is to cut contact with the OW for good....no visiting ,seeing or talking. You are going through withdrawl which is tough.<P>You sound exactly as my H did.....and yes, he came back because of the guilt.He said the same things you've said. We have been in recovery for 2 years and he is very happy. Coming back to do the right thing can lead to a vey happy marriage . .....LU

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 293 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation