Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
L
LA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
My husband and I are going through a divorce and his birthday is on Friday? Although we aren't getting along the greatest and he can be such a jerk at times, I wanted to find out if it would be proper or right to call and leave a Happy Birthday voicemail? My birthday is in Sept., so I can't tell you what he did. My guess is he wouldn't call. It is just in my nature to be nice to those who are having a birthday and I would just be trying to be nice. Although I don't want to steer him in the wrong direction, thinking maybe she is changing her mind about things. So if someone could help me out, that would be great. I want to prevent myself from ending up in a bad situation whether I say Happy Birthday or not. Thanks.<BR>

B
B
LA,<P>Gestures of good will are always appropriate. But skip the voice mail. A simple card, not too mushy, sent sincerely, will send the right message.<P>Prayers and stuff,<P>Bumper

N
N
Or an email would be okay, very simple.

F
F
LA,<P>According to the Emily Post book of Divorce Etiquette (haha--no such thing!!)...<P>I agree with Bumper on this one. Kind acts are always appropriate. A nice card without overwhelming smooshy or romantic overtones would be fine--maybe a humorous card! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] However, I will warn you against one thing. Do not send a card with the expectation that you will get any appreciation for it--just send a card because sending the card brings you happiness. Know what I mean? No ulterior motives and no disguised messages, just a courteous and polite gesture. <P>CJ<P>CJ<P>------------------<BR>Judge your success by what you had to give up in order to get it.

C
C
I will add one thing further.<P>If you have children, make sure they do something for him. Card - which they can make or buy- and a gift. You can even go the gift certificate route. Or they can pick it out. I usually set the price limit and let my children select. Sometimes they do ok and sometimes it's really bizarre - like the Father's Day when he got a disposable camera, a small candle, and a bag or Oreos.<BR>

R
R
Welp .. here's my 2 cents.<P>When my H was Divorcing me he sent me a BDay card and a present. The present was something non-romantic but was something only he would know I like. <P>To receive it gave me false hope. It made me hurt pretty bad for a couple days. It made me think for one, he remembered my BDay (the fog was very thick), and two H went to the trouble to send a card and thoughtful gift. I thought he was thinking about not D me afterall.<P>Now when I read your post I thought "YES", she should send a card, but then I remembered how I felt when my H did it. <P>Jo<P>

L
LA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
FYI-<P>No Children in the picture fortunately.<P>Thanks for your response.

L
LA Offline OP
OP Offline
L
I might just send an email. The consensus seems to be that you should keep it light, simple and nothing extravagent. I just thought it might be nice, but again I don't want him to think that there is something more than a quick Happy Birthday. I just know that getting Happy Birthdays in general can sometimes be nice to hear from anyone. (even if it is from the person who you are getting a divorce from) <P>I still would love to hear peoples thoughts about what they have done, but I think I will just send a brief Happy Birthday email. I won't expect any appreciation and I hope I don't stir anything up.<P>Thanks,<BR>LA

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 253 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation