Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
harley Offline OP
OP Offline
H
I know that there are many sites on the Internet with regards to Drug addiction and Intervention, but I have gotten so much out of this site I wonder if there are some answers some of you might have to help me with this problem.<BR>Background:<BR>- Woman I have known for 10+ years.<BR>- I am close to her family.<BR>- History of drug use/problems.<BR>- Jail time for problems (on probation).<BR>- Infant child<BR>- Probation is such that any offence (drug/alcohol included) would result in 2 years incarceration...child to foster care no doubt.<P>- I have been down the road of drug use myself, albeit clean now.<BR>- I care very much about what happens to her.<BR>- I am attracted to her...her to me I think.<BR>(may not be relevant here, but is a fact)<BR>- She has very negative feelings about her life, choices she made, appearance, etc.<P>Options I have considered:<P>1) Remain the person she can do activities with that do not involve drugs. Quietly do what I can to "help" her get/stay away from drugs....Just be there for her.<P>2) Confront her and offer to help in any way I can. She may not know that I know...she puts on a front of "being clean" and "doing the right thing" for her child.<P>3) Make her family aware and participate in an Intervention (essentially have her put in treatment) Family has history...parents recovering alcoholics/drug users who have been clean for years. Siblings also have history...still using and/or have been through treatment.<P>Problems with each option:<P>1) I don't know that I can sit by and watch her kill herself (with drugs) or destroy her life with child, etc.<P>2) May not work...don't know that I have what it takes to help her rid her life of the poisons...may not want my help...she may be very resentfull and it may terminate what we do have for a relationship. (emotional...friendship...courting)<P>3) She WILL be resentfull and hatefull.<BR>She will have much conflict with her family.<BR>She may lose her child (temporarily maybe).<P>I guess I feel afraid to lose what we have now. I know that if she continues, the outcome will be devastating and we will still lose it.<BR>I know if I participate (or help initiate by telling) in an intervention, it will end what we have now.<BR>I don't know how she will take it if I sit down and have a frank conversation with her...offer my help, show her that I care...offer my opinion on what the outcome of her actions may be...be supportive...tell her that she matters (to me and others)...etc.<BR>I also feel selfish. My goal here should be to help her get away from drugs and give herself and her child a chance for a "normal" life. This should be my main concern with regards to her...but I can't help but feel like I shouldn't do anything to make her resent me. I don't want to give up the love we have (whatever you call it...the feeling when my stomach has butterflies...the concern for each other...or at least me for her).<P>Even though I have these feelings...I know that I cannot be selfish...I know that I cannot just ignore this problem hoping it will go away and everything will be fine.<P>I know that she is headed down a road of destruction...I know that I cannot sit by and watch.<P>Maybe I should walk away...not like she asked me for help...not like I don't have my own problems to deal with?!<P>What do I do?<BR>I am leaning towards #2...telling her that I am concerned, how I feel, what I am willing to do to help...<BR>Heck, I would babysit while she goes to counseling/support group...I would go with her if she needed/wanted...I would just be there when she wanted to talk or had the urge to do drugs and needed someone to help her stay away.<P>

R
R
Harley,<BR>As you well know addicts dont get well because someone who cares for them wants them to. I was in a 5 yr relationship with an addict. I enabled for a long time but finally realized until this person hit rock bottom he was never going to change/get help.<BR>I helped him from hitting bottom and it was I who ended up hurt. IMO you can be her friend but not a friend who enables. Yes, it will be quite sad if she breaks probabtion and loses her child. She know the consequences of her actions. I think going to open AA,NA meeting would show support. Is she in 12 step programs consistantly? Is she clean? I like the intervention idea. It is apparent that you care a great deal for this lady. Your a kind and caring person Harley keep being her friend but keep reminding yourself that 1)She really isnt your responsibility 2) She must be the one ready to make a change in her life...for herself only. I hope she gets the help she needs and gets on a path of recovery! <BR>ruby

H
harley Offline OP
OP Offline
H
Ruby,<BR>Thanks for your input.<BR>I thought that she had "hit bottom" with her time in jail. Maybe she didn't hit hard enough to decide to quit.<BR>She is not in a 12-step program.<BR>She is not clean.<P>I know that she isn't my responsibility, but I want to help. I know sometimes the best form of help is just being there to listen, etc. I know that she may not want my "help".<BR>I also don't want to abandon her...or for her to feel like nobody cares...because I do. I know her family does too.<P>I know that she must want to change...and I know that she knows that no good can come of the using.<BR>I think that she is just so low and doesn't feel love, self-worth, etc. that she is looking for an escape.<P>I am by no means an expert. I hit a low when I was using and that made me quit. I did not go through a 12-step program. I "sucked it up" and decided what I wanted in life (at least what I did not want).<P>I have talked with her about my drug use...told her what happened and why I quit.<BR>This was during the conversation in which I told her how proud of her I was...how I thought it was great that she is being a great mom even though it was an unexpected pregnancy, etc. (She was understanding and a listening ear when I was going through marital problems).<P>I have decided what I will do...at least the first thing I will do.<BR>I am going to sit down and talk with her.<BR>As hard as I know it will be, I am going to try to do it without being judgemental or blaming, but rather just showing her that she DOES matter and she is cared about...showing her that I am willing to be there however I can.<BR>I will not go the route of intervention yet.<BR>I know that would rip apart her family.<BR>I know that I am not ready to do that for/to her yet.<BR>I will STILL continue to be there for her...do activities with her...talk with her, but I will not be a part of hiding/condoning her drug use. I will remove myself from that situation.<P>I have taken a pledge to myself...a pledge to be honest. To never lie to anyone...to be open about everything. I don't mean I tell everyone everything...but I feel as though I shouldn't have to or want to hide anything from anyone I care about.<BR>I cannot sit by and see the cover up of what is going on without saying something.<BR>If it ends up that I must not see her at all, I will do that...but I know that I can't watch her kill herself. I have seen that too many times already in my lifetime.<P>Thanks,<BR>harley

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 623 guests, and 50 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation