Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#724276 04/03/02 05:31 PM
R
OP Offline
R
Hello all,<p>I am at work right now and the Dr. took me off Paxil when I was home because I couldn't see a change in how I felt.<p>He put me on Wellbutrin and sent me on my way. I will not be on dry land until the 16th of this month and I am freaking on this stuff. <p>I am having some serious anxiety attacks, I can't sleep but a few hours a night (2 to 4 Hrs) Hell, I feel ten times worse than when I found out about my STBXW's A! I haven't been able to think about anything but the divorce, etc, etc. This is driving me nuts. I have been trying to get in touch with my Dr. but he is on vacation! <p>I don't know if I should quit taking this stuff or just continue. <p>I do know that I am not taking a liking to this stuff. Hell it's bad enough to have to deal with A's, Divorce and so forth without having to worry what to do about the med's! <p>What do you think? Do you think I am loosing what little of a mind I have or is it maybe the meds?<p>[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Roughneck ]</p>

#724277 04/03/02 05:43 PM
A
Ava Offline
A
My H also didn't take too well to Welbutrin. He also had anxiety attacks like you are describing. His doctor gave him an additional prescription for Effexor, which seemed to counteract the anxiety brought on by the Welbutrin. <p>I wish I could tell you whether you should stop taking it or not. It might regulate itself within a few days, if you can hang out with it. There must be another doctor you can talk to in your doctor's absence.

#724278 04/03/02 05:47 PM
N
N
There has to be a physician on call. You really shouldn't change the med without docs ok. If you can't reach them, I have a family member who cut the dose in half and was better. But you should really find the on call doc. They legally have to have someone covering for them, and then you can ask to cut the dose. It does take several days for this kind of med to work...call the doc

#724279 04/03/02 05:50 PM
R
R
Rough,<p>I'm so sorry. I'm the opposite, I can't take SSRI's (Paxil, Zoloft, Prozac, etc.). <p>I have been taking Wellbutrin for 7 mos, I LOVE IT!<p>Here's what I think may be the problem, but remember, I am a layman and not a Physician. I think your doctor should have allowed you time to get the Paxil out of your system before starting another anti-dep of a different class. <p>Could it be that you still have Paxil in your system and combining it with Welbutrin is causing the problems?<p>If not that, then perhaps you're not a good candidate for Wellbutrin. I'd stop using it and call you doctor immediately for another anti-dep.<p>When I had that bad reaction to Zoloft, I felt like I was on a hallucinagenic, I had tremmors and was not able to function at all. It took two days for me to completely come down.<p>Please be okay.<p>Concerned,
Jo<p>[ April 03, 2002: Message edited by: Resilient ]</p>

#724280 04/03/02 06:02 PM
R
OP Offline
R
The Dr. on call told me to reduce the dose from two 150 mg. tabs a day to one.<p>He also told me that they have had a lot of complaints about people coming off of Paxil and having bad anxiety attacks.<p>Told me that Wellbutrin is not very good for anxiety. He said that they would evaluate me when I get in to see if I need to change meds again.<p>I pray to the lord above it is the meds because I damn sure don't want to feel like this for long, this is the worse I have been through out this whole ordeal. <p>I need to go work out now to relieve some of this stress......

#724281 04/03/02 07:52 PM
F
F
rn,<p>I think you're being very smart to keep an eye on it. Wellbutrin elicited great rage in my husband...we had to get him off that stuff pronto! He put his fist in the wall more than once on that stuff. Since he's been off, not a problem.

#724282 04/03/02 09:00 PM
J
J
Do you have some kind of rescue med for when you have a panic or anxiety attack? I found that it really helped to have a low dose of xanax to take the edge off.<p>The stuff can be addicting, so your doc needs to follow you when you are on it, and you need to watch yourself too. But believe you me, it's awesome.<p>Elizabeth

#724283 04/03/02 09:17 PM
R
R
FYI... I hear there is a liquid form of Paxil available...Easier to slowly titrate down the dose.<p>Paxil Discontinuation Syndrome is rough. There is a class-action lawsuit pending against the pharmaceutical manufacturer now because of lack of informed consent about it.<p>Are you experiencing Paxil (SSRI) Discontinuation Syndrome?... I did. A web search will find info.<p>Basically, Paxil needs to be slowly, very slowly discontinued if you are experiencing symptoms...<p>I cut down 2 mg./week! It took 3 months! And it was still awful! I am glad I'm off the stuff for good! I feel great!<p>For details &/or tips for easier Paxil discontinuation:<p>voiceofreason02@hotmail.com

#724284 04/03/02 09:56 PM
K
K Offline
K
Roughneck,<p>As mentioned, Paxil withdrawal can be tough. Anxiety attacks are an issue.<p>Wellbutrin is known to cause insomnia, especially during the first month of use (this side effect, and dry mouth, will subside as your body adjusts). It's not uncommon to use a sleeping pill like Ambien to deal with the insomnia.<p>The "rage" issue is pretty rare, but it has been documented with Wellbutrin. The good thing about this medication is that you can quit cold turkey usually without any issues.

#724285 04/04/02 09:44 AM
R
OP Offline
R
diddallas,<p>I have actually felt some rage in the past few days. I am usually a very meek person!<p>Elizabeth,<p>No, I'm not allowed to take anything like Xanax while at work. (I work on drilling rigs)
I have taken them before and yes, I can see how they could be addicting. They work really well.<p>Voice of Reason,<p>I'm not sure if it is the getting off of the Paxil or getting on the Wellbutin! Thanks for the info though!<p>K,<p>I can't take any kind of sleeping pills out here except those over the counter and that is even looked down on. Thank you for the support.<p>RN

#724286 04/04/02 04:49 PM
J
J
RN,<p> Well, I'm no Dr but I would consider slacking off the meds while you are out. If for no other reason than to determine if the new drug is the culprit. <p> I know you are limited due to being in the middle of an ocean. I hate to think you might freak out and fall off the boat [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] or worse. Do they not have some sort of medical person on board? <p> I don't know man, I am grasping for straws maybe.
But I have not heard you speak like this and I am VERY concerned. <p> Email me or call me if you start freaking out and need to talk to someone. How much longer are you out for?<p> jd

#724287 04/04/02 04:57 PM
R
R
FYI about problems with anti-depressants

Go to www.google.com<p>Enter: Wellbutrin side effects<p>[ April 04, 2002: Message edited by: Voice of Reason ]</p>

#724288 04/04/02 05:20 PM
R
OP Offline
R
JD,<p>Don't worry man, I'm OK. I'm not going to freak and jump off the rig or anything like that. (Besides I'm really scared of sharks and there are some big ones swimming around here. Hehehe! Besides, it's not in my top ten ways to leave this earth!)<p>Yes, we have a medic onboard but the best he can do for me is benadril (not sure of the spelling)<p>I do have some PM's that have been working a little for the sleep problems. <p>Thank you for your concern and by the way, how are you doing?<p>Voice of Reason, <p>I read the pros and cons of both meds.
Most all of what I am going through has to do with both drugs, but it has compounded itself.
I do feel a little better but I want to get all of this back in order. I was doing so well in the last month or two..... <p>RN

#724289 04/04/02 06:21 PM
J
J
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Don't worry man, I'm OK. I'm not going to freak and jump off the rig or anything like that.
(Besides I'm really scared of sharks and there are some big ones swimming around here. Hehehe! Besides, it's not in my top ten ways to leave this earth!)<hr></blockquote><p> Hehe...well I did not mean that you would jump ship intentionally. But you never know what you may do when you are affected by the side effects of some drug...Not too worried about you doing yourself in. But I would hate to think you'd get to play with the sharks due to a slip or fall...<p> <blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Thank you for your concern and by the way, how are you doing?<hr></blockquote><p> You set off some alarm bells with your description... [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] <p> Ummm...I am doing ok. Wife took some things and has been staying with friends. I don't know what her plan is and really don't care right now. I have not changed my mind since I last posted about D. But I am not rushing it either. If you haven't read my updates of late...well there are other things happening in my life now. Probably not good things in the long run, but stuff that has given me an awakening about my situation. <p> Anyway, take care man. And don't be affraid to ask someone to hit you on the head with a 24 if you get out of control...no better make that a 48....ur a pretty big dude [img]images/icons/grin.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] [img]images/icons/cool.gif" border="0[/img] <p> jd

#724290 04/06/02 01:05 AM
S
S
Hate to be alarmist but have to toss in my experience with Wellbutrin... made me severely jumpy and anxious too. My MD advised stopping all meds for a few weeks. ALSO, at the same time I started on mine, a coworker had started on his. He had recently had a head injury (in an auto accident) and the Wellbutrin caused a full-blown seizure, similar to an epileptic. <p>Snow

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 329 guests, and 70 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation