Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#724437 04/05/02 11:13 AM
L
OP Offline
L
I wonder if the title will get any attention? <p>I&#8217;ve been at this site for a little over a year now and never have I seen such a total lack of respect for people. Some of the responses to responses on threads are just plain ignorant.<p>I tried to have a discussion a couple weeks ago and their was no point in trying to express my point because the person seemed extremely defensive. Heck after reading some of the recent posts it&#8217;s no wonder some of us are divorced, WE HAVE NO COMMUNICATION SKILLs or is called &#8220;Freedom of speech&#8221;.<p>This site is full of whites, blacks, Aussie&#8217;s, Americans, Pro-Choicers, Pro-Lifers, Cheaters, those Cheated on, Abusers, those Abused, Christians, Jews, Atheists, and the list goes on and on. We are here to help each other not attempt to banish someone for their beliefs or attempts to help another. <p>Respect people that&#8217;s the bottom line, just show some respect when posting. Believe it or not you can show opposing points of view without attempting to degrade someone.

R
R
Amen brother! This is not a mockery! I really believe what you had to say. There again, Amen brother!<p>Regards <p>RN

F
F
C'mon, tell us how you really feel.<p>I, personally, feel dragged down by the way every topic seems to turn into a soapbox for preaching. I don't mind some religious perspective but I think some of these people consult the Bible before they break wind to see which direction to turn their butts. <p>I really don't mean to be ugly and I know that faith and belief are the most important things in our existence but I don't need Scripture to support my decision mop the floor. Sometimes I just need advice on which mop to buy!<p>[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: diddallas ]</p>

N
N
I hardly ever come to the D/D board, since I'm remarried. But if one of the nicest guys on the planet (that would be you, Bill) is getting pissed, I think something must be wrong!<p>I also get frustrated with the "all or nothing" approach to religion seen here. Although the Harley's are clearly Christian, this site isn't.<p>Anyway, Bill... (((((hugs)))))

R
R
Hi Bill!<p>Ok, now I'M pi$$ed! You didn't have "grandmas" on your list of people who post here! [img]images/icons/wink.gif" border="0[/img] We are excellent teachers of "how to get along"! Cookies and milk ya know?<p>"show some respect when posting"....I couldn't agree with you more!<p>Hope all is well with you and your girls!<p>Gayle

J
J
Although the Harley's are clearly Christian, this site isn't.<p>Maybe they should put that in bold quotes over every page. I'm getting such a headache.<p>Bill,
Sorry if I have any part in getting you PO'd.
Believe it or not you can show opposing points of view without attempting to degrade someone.
That seems to be a hard one for some to do, and then once it is started the natural response (at least for me) is fight or flight. It's like a whiplash reaction. It is also easier to have that kind of reaction on a board than in real life, the worst that can happen is that you end up getting irratated enough to turn the computer off or find another board, whereas in real life somebody might shoot you. These subjects are also so close to home that it is hard to remember to always think before you post and keep perspective. I guess my point is that I know where you are coming from, and respect is very crucial, but it is difficult to remind others and ourselves. You did a nice job though.<p>Elizabeth

R
R
[QUOTE]Originally posted by justthewife:
[QB]Although the Harley's are clearly Christian, this site isn't.
_________<p>This site isn't Christian...Hmmm?<p>This site isn't Jewish...
This site isn't Muslim...
This site isn't Hindu...
This site isn't New Age...
This site isn't agnostic...
This site isn't secular...
This site isn't religious...
This site isn't Taliban...
This site isn't heterosexual...
This site isn't homosexual...
This site isn't bisexual...
This site isn't pro-life...
This site isn't pro-choice...
This site isn't male...
This site isn't female...
This site isn't American...
This site isn't European...
This site isn't Japanese...<p>This site isn't chocolate...This site isn't strawberry...This site isn't vanilla...
__________<p>
This site is inclusive!
This site is diverse!
This site is tolerant!
This site is non-discriminatory!
This site is for ALL struggling marriages!<p>Or this site is worthless.

Believe it or not you can show opposing points of view without attempting to degrade someone.
__________<p>Bill,[/B
Sorry if I have any part in getting you PO'd.
JTW Elizabeth
__________<p>][ Lost Husband,
Bill,<p>Thank you, for being such a classy refined gentleman! A magnanimous diplomat. A real mediator of detente. A leader of nations... A born-again virgin... Do you date?<p>You'll never bellieve this, but JTW and I are reconciled. She is not the Abominable, but really gentle as a kitten. We kissed and made up, without getting drunk. I even told her I loved her. She told me I might not ever be able to trust her. But I am going to make her let me trust her anyway.<p>I am sorry, too, for being so sick, rigid, inflexible, arrogant, cold, cruel, heartless, mean and emotionally abusive. (Did I miss any?) <p>Especially towards follower. I'll accept personal responsibility for re-imbursing him for any anti-depressant medication needed as a result of me tormenting his moral conscience by unnecessarily acknowledging the humanity of his unborn son or daughter.<p>pam_blue,<p>I love happy endings... If only pam_blue would E-mail me too, so I could lovingly offend her with a viper's-pit lesson in REAL Bible thumping! I extend an invite to her to join JTW and me at the Outrage-eous Rabid Foaming-at-the-Mouth Primal Scream Support Group:<p>voiceofreason02@hotmail.com<p>Paruil,<p>Paruil sweetie, I thought you were a vir, too! You are my new masculine role model, a sad commentary on the castrated masculine defamation of today's modern male.<p>Esto vir! Esto femina !<p>[ April 05, 2002: Message edited by: Voice of Reason ]</p>

N
N
Boy, my "although the Harley's are clearly Christian the site isn't" remark is being oft-quoted today.<p>VOR, actually I agree with you when you say it isn't... {list of a bazillion things}... that's very true.<p>It just is an open forum internet site filled with people.<p>Period.

L
L
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by LostHusband:
<strong> been at this site for a little over a year now and never have I seen such a total lack of respect for people. Some of the responses to responses on threads are just plain ignorant.<p>Heck after reading some of the recent posts it&#8217;s no wonder some of us are divorced, WE HAVE NO COMMUNICATION SKILLs or is called &#8220;Freedom of speech&#8221;.<p> We are here to help each other not attempt to banish someone for their beliefs or attempts to help another. <p>Respect people that&#8217;s the bottom line, just show some respect when posting. Believe it or not you can show opposing points of view without attempting to degrade someone.</strong><hr></blockquote>
I agree, however, there are a lot of really HURTING folks here. I'm sure everyone on these Boards knows that. Their stories are sad, many of them. I hang out on the Boards some, just to really have it sink in that I'M NOT ALONE in my experience - many other folks have had the same thing happen to them. I sometimes think folks never really get over a way of life they have known for so many years, there is always hurt in change. We are told to "Guard Our Hearts" and always be on the lookout for attacks against our Marriage and The Home. It's really true; we all have a sinful nature and sin lies at the door, one way or another. The one thing that really hurts me is to see folks using cuss words on these Boards, using the ***** to "not really say them" etc. This is supposed to be a "Christian" Board, as that is what the Harley's profess to be. Their books are excellent reading. I wonder though, how often do THEY check what's being posted on their Boards, and who are the Moderators?
Just a few thoughts of my own, my $.02 from TEXAS... Thanks for reading, and God Bless. Harold

A
A
You attention getter man! [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] <p>ANNA

J
J
Dear Harold,<p>Sorry, you have something wrong, and I am going to take it upon myself to point it out so we all know where we stand, and we all can come from the same understanding.<p>This is supposed to be a "Christian" Board, <p>No, this is not a Christian board. This is a public forum. The Harley's are Christian, but they counsel with all who need it, and even discuss in their books how to resolve issues when married partners are of differing beliefs.<p>This is a public forum, anyone can post anywhere, and it does not matter of what religion, sex, color, ethnicity, socio-economic status people hail from. Take what you need and leave the rest.<p>As far as the Moderators, they are quite marvelous. They step in when needed, and will promptly email you back when contacted. There are contacts for all the Moderators on the main discussion forum page (the one that lists all the different boards to go to) and there are also mailto: links on the top left hand of the main page of each board.<p>The Harleys are in contact with the moderators, and I would imagine if they needed something done that the Mods would handle it.<p>People are not able to use "cuss" words on this board as they will not make it through the filter. If someone does choose to change the word a bit because they feel strongly saying $hit instead of poo poo, then that is their call, and you can always close that thread and go onto another so you are not offended.<p>I am just trying to be helpful, one Christian to another. <p>Elizabeth

D
D
Hey Bill,<p>I don't have time to read your whole post right now, but I read your first post. I haven't been here in months, but I'm sorry to hear what has happened.<p>I've had my share of debates on the site, never about race though. More about morals. You're right, your title got me! <p>Hope all is well, next time you post let me know, or drop me an email and an update.<p>Dana

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (SadNewYorker), 144 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms
71,840 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation