Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#727196 05/16/02 09:16 PM
M
OP Offline
M
It seems to me that there is an abundance of similarity in relationships these days. Woman are not satified with their relationship and men continue to plead for forgiveness and make promises that they will change given the opportunity. Why do so many woman seek a way out of their vows instead of working harder to keep them intact? Why are their so many woman out there that constantly search for the perfect relationship, only to be disappointed that their marriage has not met their high expectation? It seems to me that most woman lack core values. It's all about their own status and independence. When a person is not grounded from within, they tend to always be seeking greater things to make up for their own internal short-comings. Why do woman generally always want more and more when a man can generally live with what they have and try to make the most of it? I, like many of you, am going through a separation. My wife of 9 years told me last xmas that she wanted out. After an entire year of marriage councelling her issues today are the same issues as she had 4 years ago. Instead of accepting me for what I am and what I represent, she either insists on changing me or leaving me. I am at the point where I feel that my core values are tied to the vows I made to her, our family, and to GOD. Divorce to me is not an option unless you are in a physically abusive or adulterous relationship. My situation is very complex and would really take some time to allow you to begin to understand. I am not a drug addict, a sexual offender, an alchoholic or an adulterous. If fact, I dont really know what it is that my wife wants from me at this time. I just think that people should consider the long term effects that divorce brings to children and family and try harder to stay together.

#727197 05/16/02 09:26 PM
R
RWD Offline
R
I don't think it is just women, it society in general. Everything is go for the gusto! Lease a car now because if you own one, you'll get tired of it. Now you can have a new car every 2-3 yrs.
So I think this is the attitude people are starting to take with relationships.<p>We constantly have to be entertained, so if your spouse is starting to bore you, there always seems to be someone else around that will entertain you.<p>I happen to agree with you on the core values. It has to be both though.

#727198 05/16/02 09:39 PM
M
OP Offline
M
Your probably right.. It's not just some woman that lack core values, some men do as well. When you talk to an elderly couple they will tell you that they too had a very difficult time in their marriage, but somehow they were able to overcome their differences and keep their families intact. Today is a much different story. We are in a society that promotes immediate gradification and if our marriages are not cutting it we typically seek a way to bail out. A divorce is much to easy to come by these days.

#727199 05/16/02 10:42 PM
W
W
I have to agree with both of your posts.<p>Society as whole seems too quick to dispose of something if it doesn't meet their satisfation, or fullfill their needs... it's easier that way.<p>Personally, I would rather try to fix something that I loved or liked, rather than just throwing it away or discarding it.<p>That's just my opinion, I could be wrong.<p>Wallace

#727200 05/17/02 04:07 PM
E
E
You hit it on the nose when you said core values. From my 16 yrs of marriage ending in divorce, I can say from experience that almost 98% of people will turn out like their mother or father when it comes to raising a family. I've looked back and have realized not everything was my X's fault. He parented like he was raised. I tried to the best of my knowledge to keep our marriage together, but when a spouse refuses to go to counseling, emotional abuse is involved, controlling, manipulative acts and other uncontrollable issues, the only alternative is to get out, which I did.<p>My girls are now 16 & 17 and my oldest has a trust issue with her men in general and can be insecure even though she is extremely smart, attractive and athletic. My youngest mainly because of me has been sheltered from reality. It is time for her to grow up and see her mother and father for who they are and stop blaming everyone and anyone when things don't go her way. Yes, divorce takes a toll on kids, but in order for me to save my sanity, I had no choice but to leave.<p>I am getting married next week and with all the experience I had from my previous marriage has helped me become the mature, grounded person I am today. I love myself and who I have become, life is good!!!!!

#727201 05/17/02 04:52 PM
R
RWD Offline
R
Elliot,
Best wishes on the nuptials!<p>I raised my kids the exact opposite of the way I was raised. I'm involved in their lives and truly enjoy being around them. My father was one those guys that left for work at 5:30 am go home at 5 pm, ate dinner, did some work around the house or laid down and slept in front of the tv and went to bed at 9p.<p>We lived out in the country and didn't rally have all the sports opportunities and other activities that my kids do now. Also my mother didn't drive.<p>I probably have gone overboard in some aspects.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 522 guests, and 41 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation