Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
H
OP Offline
H
Just found out that a level 2 (intermediate risk) sex offender moved into my neighborhood. His crime was related to minor children. He lives with his parents about 1/4 mile from my home.<p>My question...what to tell the kids. I want them to be informed but not freaked out. There is a picture of him posted on the internet that I can show them. I was thinking along the lines of telling them that this man was in jail and now he lives near us. If you see him I don't want you to talk to him. My kids are D 8 and S 7 both with very active imaginations!<p>Thank goodness it is summer here in AZ and just too hot for the kids to be out unless they are in the swimming pool under moms supervision!<p>Thanks

A
A
Hi Hopeless,<p>As an Arizonan I thought I'd write to you. I just don't know the answer here though. I think I'd tell them a little more than you said...but I'm too honest with my kids sometimes. I'd for sure show them the picture and tell them the man in the picture is dangerous and to get away quickly if they see them. <p>The program they have here regarding keeping track of sexual preditors is really good, and there are a lot of resources if you need help.<p>I live in Peoria by the way, by Arrowhead Mall...hoping the preditors stay away from there, but it's just a matter of time.<p>take care...try not to worry, the preditors are usually very transient and move on pretty quickly.<p>wish my kids would stay in during the heat...14yo son is out on his bike all day, afraid he's going to keel over!<p>~allison

N
N
IMHO.. being a parent to a teen, I have been through plenty of things at her age, (14) that needed a little help here and there.. <p>the schools have trained councelers, that are teriffic with these things.. I would try asking them how they would handle it.. <p>each school from kidergarden on, has appropriatly trained councelers for each age group.. my daughter loves them to this day, since early on, and helps her alot, since the divorce, even more, and with any troubles that she may have in school with other kids as well.. <p>(you`ll find as they get older, kids are cruel, and they go through so much, as it is.. loosing a parent, was a devastating, as this situation, beleive it or not.. so in a way it will help all around, and when they are that young, the councelers will even be able to get them to open up to them, about you, your ex, and what they are feeling, and keep you up dated.. <p>It is a great thing for the kids to have some one else in school other then a paretnt to turn to, when the chips are down.. <p>hope this helped..<p>AV

R
RWD Offline
R
I just found out the same thing happened in my town last week. My kids (14 & 11) told me. They know some other kids in the immediate neighborhood this guy lives in and the received a written notification. It sounded like the immediate neighbors are notified. <p>The guy's neighborhood abuts mine.<p>Maybe a reminder about the not talking to strangers, going with strangers, etc.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation