Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
R
OP Offline
R
I'm a new poster here so I hope that I'm doing this right.

My exh is getting married next summer which will only be a year after our divorce, and I'm afraid that he wants to take my son away. I make alot more money then he does, but I have more job responsibilites then he does. I am single with no one else romantically involved with at this time. We have joint physical and economic custody, but I am main custodial residence. Can he try to take my son away from me? I am also afraid about the new soon-to-be step-mom. Yes it was infidelity that led to all this, which makes me even more warry of her. She has a 15 year old daughter already, and been in and out of alot of relationships. I don't know much about her. . . .and my exh says she's just wonderful and not out to replace me as a mom, but I'm tired of listening to him and trusting him. Truly don't know what to do!!!

G
G
Of course you know what to do. Call your lawyer. Hopefully, you have a ferocious one with sharp teeth. On this you need legal advice. We could tell you what to wear if you are invited to attend the wedding or what to do if they want your son to be a ring-bearer.

And we’ll all say how incredibly tacky it is to announce this wedding so soon after the divorce. And for them to not have a very quiet wedding. And we can speculate whether the OW will have the gall to wear white.

But, you need your lawyer. This is too serious. I doubt that he’ll be able to take your son away from you. And chances are OW won’t want him anyway. BUT, make sure you have your ducks lined up. Your attorney may suggest switching to a nanny rather than a day care. Or vice versa. Or doing nothing.

Hmm. An engagement present... a bunch of weeds with a viper maybe?

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks greengables,

I copied your idea on the signature. As for me getting a lawyer. . . I figured I would have to break down and get one. I just called and left a message to arrange an appointment with a REALLY good female lawyer. I hope she calls back. During the divorce I didn't have enough money to afford my own and I didn't want to file anyway so I ended up just using his lawyer. We pretty much agreed on how to split everything and that we both wanted joint custody, so it wasn't much of a fight on my part or his. BUT! that was before I knew about HER - the OW!! Now I'm infuriated and can't believe I was so easily manipulated by him. Oh well. . . live learn eh?!

A
A
Robyn
A lot can happen between now and next summer. Although it is probably wisdom to get a lawyer now, I want to encourage you to not "borrow trouble" either. Be wary, have a plan in place via your lawyer; but remember, things can easily change that far in the future, including your exhusband and his relationship with this woman. Who knows, they might break up, she might get involved with someone else, her child may act out against the marriage, etc.. Hang in there!

<small>[ September 29, 2003, 03:44 PM: Message edited by: avondale25 ]</small>

G
G
Avondale is right a lot can happen. Just get information so that you don’t unnecessarily risk custody. Probably won’t cost a whole lot right now. And you can make arrangements to pay over time. I doubt it will end up in a court battle.

Stop back and let us know how you’re doing.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 462 guests, and 55 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation