Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#818616 01/09/03 12:37 AM
T
OP Offline
T
My neighbor is currently dealing with filing for support from her H of 22 years. He is 42 and has hooked up with a 19 year old OW. TX does not provide alimony, but she should be able to get some kind of spousal support so she can go back to school. she only finished high school
Also, her 14 year old son is disusted with his dad and does not want to see him. Can she get into trouble if she does not force her son to see his father?

Pleas let me know or tell me where to find this info. She is devastated and I want to be sure she doesn't get screwed any more.

Thanks, TG

#818617 01/09/03 10:29 AM
T
T
I don't know much, but I got my divorce in TX. I know that your friend's son is old enough to tell the Judge on his own that he doesn't want to see his father. There may be visitation listed on the papers, but at 14 the courts may feel that he's old enough to let them know how he feels. I could be wrong. *DISCLAIMER* "I'm not a lawyer or involved in law"*DISCLAIMER* but I do know what I experienced....

As for going back to school, have your friend go check out JPTA---Job Partnership Training Act---if she's been a homemaker all this time, she can get help as a "displaced" homemaker. They help you go through school and help pay for books etc. and I know that your friend would be eligble for pell grants etc. They can refer your friend to other services that would help her as a displaced homemaker.

Hope this helps and keep us updated. Hope she makes out all right. A good, aggressive lawyer is the best weapon you have from getting screwed in court.

Hugs,
Twiisty

#818618 01/09/03 12:16 PM
D
D
double post

<small>[ January 09, 2003, 11:19 AM: Message edited by: daoren ]</small>

#818619 01/09/03 12:16 PM
D
D
Look here:

http://www.divorcelawtexas.com/txpages/Alimony/alimony.asp

An excerpt:

"Alimony in Texas is authorized in limited situations and is not the broad remedy that it is in other states. Alimony in Texas is "rehabilitative" and is intended to be a short-term measure which enables a spouse to get back on his or her feet. Alimony is awarded to enable the other spouse to go back to school or to acquire needed skills that would enable the spouse to be competitive in the job market. Usually a spouse who has chosen the role of becoming a homemaker and raising children has not been able to develop the skills necessary for productive and gainful employment. Upon divorce, alimony can be used to compensate for this inequity."

#818620 01/11/03 12:02 PM
T
OP Offline
T
Thanks ya'll for responding I will share this with her. If anyone else reads this and has anything more to add please do.
TG

#818621 01/11/03 03:39 PM
C
C
Texasgirl,
I would advise your friend to contact her local women's coalition, whatever it may be called in her area, to find free legal representation in such a matter. Generally, services are available at low or no cost for women who find themselves in situations such as this. I would hazard the guess that, according to the brief except from texas law that was posted, in texas one has to establish entitlement to spousal support and/or alimony. She will need to have representation to do so. Please tell her not to wait or fool around, because alimony is an issue that can be considered "waived" if not properly addressed right away. Get her to legal aid, the women's coalition, or something of that nature immediately!!!

with love,
cd

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 649 guests, and 67 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation