Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
G
OP Offline
G
</font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr /><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial"> Instead of increases later, we took it in retirement. </font><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial">Lynn, can you elaborate on this? I am not sure what you mean by this?

I am also exploring ways, daily, to preclude cs payments in the future from taking more away from our household and children of the home who need supported also. We want to see that OC doesnt come out getting more individual monetary support than our children do. Emotionally oc comes out behind (for anyone thinking this ...etc...) but extra money will not change that or justify anything. One cannot affect the other, really at all or make the situation better for OC (ow maybe, that'd be it, but she isn't entitled to any of it). Now if oc was endangered due to no home or what have you-- or we were wealthy and could change oc's life for the better somehow- they are the only ways.

Also, does anyone know if a workers comp settlement that occured prior to OC's birth would be considered for CS being taken from it? It would be income lost from a 1.5 year time during which the case is being decided in court.

I know for sure that if I D my H I'd be entitled to half of it because I supported our home during this time more than 75%. Also, this lost wage settlment is for wages that were pre-filing and pre-oc. My H needs to discuss w/lawyer but he hasn't yet- why--- because he never handles things in a timely manner. He doesnt like talking about it, period, and is embarassed so he is putting it off. I know 100 lawyers but I also will not because its waaay too pesonal and humiliating for me too.

I WILL file for D if I have to-- i will go to ANY length to protect what is mine and expressly not OC's. It scares me to even think of how this may be the last straw if mine and my families strugges the past 1.5 years financially will go towards oc. H's income is so limited until this is all over and he still pays a decent amount.

We live in a commonwealth state so I wonder if only half of H's amount to be considered, since 1/2 of it is mine?? This is one aspect of family law I dont have experience with.

(This is rule of civil procedure 1234567.(a)(1) [the Jerry Springer Code] rolleyes:

<small>[ March 06, 2005, 09:34 PM: Message edited by: giovanna123 ]</small>

T
T
Gio...I think any settlement would only count for CS insomuch as it would add to his annual income for that year. Depending on if he is salaried or self employed it may or may not be counted. Self employed the court will usually take the average income for 3 years. Salaried it is usually based on pay stubs. Hope that helps.

<small>[ March 06, 2005, 09:42 PM: Message edited by: twilight ]</small>

L
L
This is where you really need to speak with a laywer. IT IS VITAL THAT YOU SPEAK TO A LAYWER

I opened up my own consulting business and we did work for my husbands company. Since I owned it, the income was mine. Eventually, on paper I made the majority of the $$ in our home and she couldn't touch my money. I believe in child support, I just don't believe in child support that is so high it hurts the children of the marriage.

Best attorney? Worth their weight in gold.

As for the WC settlement. That would require an attorneys advice PRONTO.

We saved quite a few dollars over the years, it cost us quite a bit in legal fees, but in the end, the financial gain was in our favor in the end. It is worth it to sit down with a laywer and discuss this issue. Do not be afraid to come right out and tell them what you want. You are paying by the hour, and they are not cheap.

What we learned was that the courts are over-run with these cases. The system just rubber stamps them through. We didn't do that. We fought everything and won quite a bit. Stuff like insurance policies. Why should we pay 100%? So we were only liable for 50% of any medical bill.

Child support. We made sure that any increases would not affect what went out of our house. We never took an increase without discussing the ramifications of child support. Should he defer it into next year? Can it be put into retirement instead? Can we bill hours to my corporation instead? What would the legal process for that be? We always discussed these with a laywer first. What was the best way to handle this so we did not have to pay an increase in child support.

So go and have some consultations with a few laywers and let them know what your concerns are. With each state being different, it is vital that you look into it.

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 731 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation