Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
J
Jill Offline OP
OP Offline
J
I was wondering, how does a person know if they need medication to help with depression? I'm pretty sure that I'm depressed, but I don't want to take medication unless it's absolutely necessary. I want to share a few of my "symptoms" and see if you think that I should at least consult my doctor.<P>Also, if what I am experiencing is "normal", I don't want to take medication to mask something that I SHOULD be feeling or that I need to be feeling...does that make sense?<P>My "symptoms":<P>I feel tired all the time -- even if I've slept for ten hours, I can get on the couch and fall asleep again for another three hours.<P>Everything I do seems to take a ton of energy out of me -- simple things like grocery shopping or getting dressed for school or cleaning my house. After I complete certain tasks or activities, I want to just go back to sleep or sit around.<P>I'm CONSTANTLY on the verge of tears.<P>My emotions, any of them, are always "on the surface". As I've said before, I feel very emotionally "raw".<P>When I'm not sleeping, I'm eating. I haven't gained any weight. I think that's because I'm a vegetarian and I exercise. Though, my exercise has decreased lately because I'd rather sleep. So, at least the stuff that I'm "stuffing my face" with is nutritious...LOL [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] No, I didn't say that I'm glad that I'm a glutton.<P>I would appreciate any insight that any of you may have.<P>Thanks.<P>Jill<P>

P
P
Hi Jill,<P>The symptoms you describe could very well be depression. It could not hurt for you to seek medical advise about this. There are a large variety of anit-depressants on the market ranging in strengh from mild to strong. I began taking Welbutrin (zyban for those trying to quit smoking,) and experienced a big change in both my moods and resulting behaviors. I just stated taking it again to begin a new, stop smoking campaign as the other one got blown out of the water at "discovery" time! Consult with your doctor. It may be good for you to begin medication before the "real" work begins when Hubby gets home. <P>I have responded to your posts a couple of times. Have you found any of it useful at all? My H travels a lot, too, as he is a pilot. I miss him more now than I remember missing him before discovery. I think it ties in a bit to being insecure. Heck, in my case, I'm sure it does.<P>Keep us posted.<P>Beth<BR>

N
NSR Offline
N
Hi Jill,<P>I responded to your other post but thought you could check out the "<B>Medication:</B>" section of the ===> <A HREF="http://www.marriagebuilders.com/forum/Forum29/HTML/000013.html" TARGET=_blank>Notable Posts/Threads</A>!<P>I hope it helps!<P>Jim

S
S
Hi Jill,<P>Sure sounds like depression to me-<P>one thing to be aware of: the many anti-depressants that are out there are pretty much non-habit forming. There are plenty of people who take medication for short periods in their lives and then stop without any major problems.<P>Your regular doctor can prescribe something like Prozac or Celexa for you.

M
M
Jill,<BR> Sure,you're probably suffering from depression because of the stress in your life right now.There is nothing wrong with taking an anti-depressent to help you with that for now.You may not have a natural lack of seratonin which can come with aging.What you're feeling may be"normal",but if you're having a hard time making it through the day,it won't hurt to take medication to help you feel better.You won't get"addicted"to them,but will find out after a while that you don't need as much,or none at all as your life improves.I took Zoloft to cope with my W's affair and moving out.I was on a large amount at first because my body needed it,but then later I reduced the dosage for the same affect.I'm no doctor,but I felt just like you do now,and it really helped get me through the day.That doesn't mean you'll be on them for life,just while you're going through this trying time.I hope this helps.Take care. --Murph

M
M
Jill, <P>If you want to try something herbal instead, try St. John's Wort. I've been taking it for a little over a month now and I feel ALOT better. I don't cry all the time, I can sleep better and not for hours on end. The feelings of being sad and happy are still there but they don't overwhelm me. I can function now.<P>Take care,<BR>Mitzi

J
Jill Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Everyone:<P>Thanks for the advice on medication. I'm not much of a medication type of a person, so I think I'll try some herbal remedies first before trying prescription meds. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Pilot's Wife: Yes!! Your replies are always a tremendous help. I'm sorry that I don't always get to address each one individually. I appreciate your kindness and concern and your wisdom. Thanks so much for helping me keep my "chin up" during this rough time.<P>So, I guess it's off to the health-food store to try St. John's Wort...<P>I'm still going to call my doctor and discuss this, though.<P>Jill<P>

T
T
Jill,<P>Note that with medication of this type there is a 2 to 3 to 4 week period before they kick in. This may be the case for St. John's Wart too. Also if you switch to a Rx you most likely cannot take it with St John's Wart.<P>I have found that Paxil has helped me. The first time through this Hell I did not take any medication and think I was less than productive and made some poor decisions. This time I went immediately to my primary care physician and requested something. For what it is worth, I have found they have helped my to concentrate and remain productive and level headed. <P>I did use St. John's Wart first but the Rx had a much larger impact for me. Best of luck.<P>T2

T
T
Jill,<P>I have been on antidepressant medication for about 4 months and it has helped a lot! I tried St. John's Wort and it didn't do much for me. I know that I have a tendancy to get depressed when things get very stressful but this is the first time that I have been on a prescription medication for it. <P>I had the same type of symptoms that you described, and sometimes I still do but not nearly as bad. I have found the meds are helpful for dealing with the normal day-to-day chores and errands. Also, I think they have helped me feel better about myself because I am not constantly depressed. <P>At first, I did not want to get on the medication but a good friend who is a professional counselor talked me into it. I'm so glad she did. Of course, I would love to have her for a counselor but she is too close to the family and felt we would be better off with someone not so close. However, I do ask for her advice often about meds etc. <P>Try St. John's Wort first and if it doesn't work don't rule out prescription meds. It will probably take several weeks for type to effect. They have helped me deal with all of this mess, and my H and I are even trying to work things out in our marriage. 2 months ago I didn't even think that was a possiblity. Take care.<P>

R
RWD Offline
R
I tried the St John's Wort first and I think it helped me. I started on it not too long after she moved out last July.<P>I stayed on it till right before the holidays because I was getting short with the kids. Thats when I went on to Celexa. It has been very beneficial to me.<P>I go to Dr next week and think I will start weening off it. Although I watched a movie last night and there were some sad parts in it and I was bawling like a baby.

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 433 guests, and 57 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation