Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
A
A
Sheeb, I've got a theory about Rickey Henderson. He played for the Pads for a few seaons...<P>I don't think he can play well unless he's got the attitude thing going. He's gotta be pissin' off people in order to play well. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] When he played down here, he was all mellowed out by the SoCal atmosphere and the nice-guy players we had on the team at that time. I've never seen him as nice to the media as he was when he was here, plus he never complained about playing time or contracts or anything... He even showed up <B>on time</B> for spring training! Problem was, he also played crappy while here. No attitude = no game.<P>BTW, T. Gwynn out at least 5 days with possible fracture on his elbow after getting hit by Leiter on Monday. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>--andy

S
Sheba Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Oh No...really Airheart?<P>Wow, Leiter felt bad, too! Did you see that game? He wanted to walk up to him from the mound.....<P>Hope it heals well....<P>I like Gwynn!!! He's a nice guy, besides being a good player of course!!<P>About Henderson....yeah, I guess your right - attitude does equal good playing with him.<P>My brain is so burnt (through all this relationship stuff) that I am trying to remember how he was waaaaay back when he was in NY....<P>I know he was notable - but for the life of me I can't remember anything about him.....hmmm? I used to be at the games a lot then too!!! Ah - old age and senility!!! Ain't it grand!!!!<P>Hugs,<P>Sheba

Y
Y
Sheba:<P>WAAAAAAY back when Rickey played for the Yanks, he was as cocky as ever. THAT guy had some MAJOR attitude. At the time, I hated it, but, I guess if you can walk the walk, then you have every right to boast.<P>Who was it that said: "It ain't braggin' if it's true."?<P>About the double digit runs -- hopefully we won't NEED those for the Yanks. That's why we went out and got 3 left-handed starters. Scuttlebutt is that your Bronx Bombers can't hit the lefties. Guess we'll see. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>----------------<P>Peppermint:<P>Yes, the Rangers are the team with Ivan "Pudge" Rodriguez. Probably the best all-around catcher in the league these days. If he's one of your daughter's favorites, then she has GOOD taste. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>------------------<BR>/// Lone Star * ///<P>

A
A
Sheeb, I didn't see the game, but I was listening to it on an internet simulcast. It was on very early out here on the west coast (like 10am!!), so I was at work.<P>T. Gwynn is MR. PADRE out here. He's the franchise! One of the most beloved San Diegan sports figures ever, I'm sure. Him and Ted Williams. Ted played for the Padres when the Pads were a minor league team, before he went to the Red Sox. They named a freeway after him out here! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>As far as Rickey goes, I don't remember too much about him when he played with the Yanks, but I remember his years with the A's. He was always a trouble maker up there. But damn, what a good player. Won a few gold gloves, stole a TON of bases (the all-time leader!), has the most all-time lead-off home-runs too! He might be in the twilight of his career now, but don't tell HIM that! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>--andy

S
S
Thought I'd chime in.<P>Baseball blasphemer here [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]. I do take my family to see the AZ Diamondbacks play once a year. That's enough. After forking out almost $200 for tickets, food, and a couple of baseball memoribilia items that get played with until we get in the car, I just haven't been able to see the beauty. I do follow the Diamondbacks every now and then. But, I don't make a point to watch their games until September. <P>But, you baseball fans have to admit that the game does pack 2 minutes of excitement into 3 hours. It's the only sport I have seen (other than golf) where players can be over weight and still be a success. <P>Maybe I'm tainted from having to chip my tax dollar into building an over priced stadium and then watching guys who make a hundred times more than I do walk up to bat, strike out, and walk back to the dug out and spit seeds until it's their turn again. I don't know I need more action.<P>Now hockey is a different story. I think hitting a little round thing with a stick past a guy whose blocking the goal while someone else is kicking your backside is a little more difficult (IMHO).<P>Go Diamondbacks (and Coyotes)!<P>SHA <p>[This message has been edited by Sir Hurts Alot (edited April 05, 2000).]

A
A
SHA,<BR> <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR><BR>But, you baseball fans have to admit that the game does pack 2 minutes of excitement into 3 hours. It's the only sport I have seen (other than golf) where players can be over weight and still be a success. <BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>I won't argue with you over the weight thing. My Mr. Gwynn is a chubbo, but the guy sure can hit!!<P>But about the excitement, that's where you have to be more than just a casual fan to appreciate. Most non baseball fans make this mistake. You see, <B>EVERY SINGLE PITCH</B> is strategy. Will he throw a slider? Curve ball? Fast ball? Inside? Outside? Sometimes just one pitch can make me exclaim in joy! "How did he get so much movement!! Wow, what a pitch!!" <P>And I'll tell ya what, to a hardcore baseball fan, there's nothing more exciting than watching a no-hitter.<P>I've always liked Hockey too (grew up in New England as a Bruins fan!), but there's just so much FIGHTING in that sport, and out-and-out nastiness. Sheesh! Baseball may have it's beer-bellies, but Hockey has it's no-teeth guys! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>--andy

M
M
Is that a Jose Conseco bat? Tell me me you didn't pay money for that? Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.<P>And yes Ricky defined the word "cocky" with NY. It was a shame about Thurman. Still have the tape of the 78 series. Great watching. They win everytime I see it.<P>The Pinhead.

N
N
No fair! How come <B>andy</B> can bring up hockey, and <B>SHA</B> can bring up golf, but I am banned from the diamond if I bring my football?? <P>Baseball is okay if you're personally there... especially the BEER, and yes, when the Dodgers were in Los Angeles I watched them play at Dodger Stadium, is it still Dodger Stadium <B>andy</B>??, I can't remember... I mean the Dodger's aren't there anymore, so...<P>I do like the Spring better, and the sunshine, and those guys are much cuter with all that bending and stuff (thanks for the visual, <B>Sheba</B>) and I loved "A League of Their Own"... and, and, and... maybe I actually LIKE baseball??? Could that be it? Ut oh... is it too late?<P><p>[This message has been edited by new_beginning (edited April 05, 2000).]

A
A
Sher... what the heck are you talking about?!? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>Dodgers are still in LA. They still play in Dodgers Stadium out in Chavez Ravine. You're thinking about the Rams I bet. Or maybe the Raiders. Both NFL teams up and left LA.<P>BTW, there's no shame in admitting a fondness for baseball. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>--andy

B
B
I am a Cub fan, need I say more. Guess it will be just another season...LOL [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>But, I love them [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

N
N
[Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] well, color me embarrassed [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] and thank you my dear airheart for setting me straight... yes, of course I <B>KNOW</B> the Rams aren't here, because I LOVE FOOTBALL [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] but yes, I guess I was momentarily confused about the Dodgers. See, dear man, I <B>knew</B> I was asking the right fellow-Californian about that one!!<P>And about baseball... I like the beer, did I make that clear?<P>Carry on...

S
S
airheart, <P>I guess I just haven't gotten into the strategy of the game. I suppose each pitch is can bring excitement, but when I do go to a game, I like the good old fashioned slugfest. You know a 16-13 game filled with home runs, grand slams, a few triples. Those are fun to watch. The beer is OK but at $5 it makes it hard to swallow.<P>As for hockey, yeah there's lots of fighting but there's less at the NHL level compared to the smaller leagues. It is a fast paced sport, lots of strategy, and you can't take your guy off the puck or you'll miss something. <P>I guess I'm a winter sport guy (skiing, hockey) and yet I live in the desert - go figure. <P>SHA

S
S
Pinky,<BR>Let me be the first to apologize for the atrocious behavior of the Cardinals during the first 2 games of the year at Busch. I guess all the sports craziness in St. Louis is catching on w/ the Cards. I mean Super Bowl champs, best hockey team in the NHL, so far anyway [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com], the Cards felt they needed to make a statement about baseball being good in St. Louis, too.<P>Again, sorry about the 55 gallon drum of whup-@ss dumped all over the Cubbies. We should have been more respectful of your unfortunate travel schedule. But then again, we did hold Big Mac out of the first two games. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>------------------<BR>Allen<BR>sparky_dog_mb@yahoo.com

S
Sheba Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Everybody -<P>Hey SHA - Glad you jumped on...but - like I had to tell NB about her football - get the "puck" outta here!!!! hehe!!<P>(feel better NB?)<P>First, about my Yank game last nite...Since when is all hell supposed to break loose when Angels are involved?<BR>Those boys were DETERMINED last night!!<BR>A little frustrating but hey, I was glad that they won one at their home field - it's only right.....besides Tino got a HR and that's good enough for me!! On to Seattle!!!! <P>LoneStar - when was Henderson in NY? I can't put my teams and years together in the ole' memory.....I'm getting my M. Rivers, Randolph, Chambliss, etc. days all mixed up!!!! I remember them all playing but not when!!! UGH!!! Refresher if you know (and being the sharp-minded baseball brain that you are - I'm sure you do!!!).....<P>I reserve my comments on how well (or not) the Yanks can hit lefties..<BR>..haven't seen enough to tell yet!!!! <P>Hey Airheart - some good news on Gwynn, they said that he isn't as bad as they thought and he could be back in by Friday!!!! <P>Ah SHA, good to have you around!!! How are ya, Buddy? Let me first say that you have "how to follow baseball" all wrong.....you see in order to REALLY get into it, you have to watch it on TV!!<P>I understand completely about the money at the ballpark and how it could be boring - the only games worth seeing at the ballpark are either high scorers so there's a lot of action (fights, fouls that clonk people, etc.) OR a no hitter (a PERFECT GAME is also MOST EXCELLANT!!)<P>That is because you can't SEE the pitches very well...if at all depending on where you sit. There are a lot of things about the game that are missed when you are actually in the park!!<P>And the money....well, let's just say that if I didn't go with free tickets and a Yankee Dufflebag full of drinks, snacks, etc. - I would never be there!!!<BR>When they started charging 3.75 for water and yanked out most of the water fountains....it just "lost" something for me as far as going to the park. <P>Although I must admit that I do ENJOY batting practice and all those warm-up exercises.....Ladies - a tip....go early and bring binoculars!!!! What a sight!!!<P>Anyway, my whole point is what Airheart was explaining about the pitching is the key to the overall excitement of baseball.....only on TV can you see the precision of not only what kind of pitch, etc...but even if it's in the strike zone!!!! When it's a slow game - that is where your excitement lies...<P>Now, as far as hockey....not that I watch it much, but I would choose that sport after baseball.....Football and Golf are absolute bottoms on my sports list!!! Football I can stomach if I have to but Golf....please!! <P>The idea of grown men hitting a little ball and then walking after it mile after mile when there isn't even anyone else trying to get it is the stupidest thing I've ever heard of.....someone was VERY LONELY when they invented that!!!! Even in "kick the can" there is someone that tries to get it from you!!!! Just silly!!!! It's not a sport....it's some kind of therapy found in a book title "How to Amuse ( "Play With" just doesn't sound good!!) Yourself".......<P>Oh - and liking winter sports and living in the desert....well, I think it must be some sort of brain balancing...some Freudian thing about keeping cool in all that heat!!! LOL!!!<P>Hi Medic - LOL!!!! It is a shame about Thurman....He touched me once - Held my face in his hand and called me a "cutie" I'll never forget that!!! Cried for days when he died...<P>NB - it's never too late to like baseball!!!! Watch a game or go to the ballpark with me and I guarantee that you will be a fan afterwards!!!!! I will teach you (and help with more visuals!!!) all about the finer points!!! Even about the actual game itself!!!! LOL!!!<P>Hi Pinky - Now, now....take heart!! You guys have Sosa to be proud of and you are now sooooo lucky to have Joey G. (Girardi) as a catcher...he's the heart and soul that brought our Yankee pitching staff together when they were off kilter!!!! I envy you for that!!!<P>And Sparkydog - you be nice to Pinky!!!<BR>I'm a Yankee girl and we don't want to be talking about "drums of Whup-@ss" now do we?......lol!!!<P>Hugs to All - and I am still waiting to hear what the Indians and O's have been doing.......anyone know?<P>Sheba <P> <p>[This message has been edited by Sheba (edited April 06, 2000).]

S
S
You ppl are just wonderful! I came here for the first time today and was all depressed and then I see this baseball thread! Cheered me right up! I was at work last night listening to the Indians game, and was excited 'cause the Indians were winning. Then, I got home from work at the bottom of the 8th and watched Hargrove's new team squash his old team..how depressing! LOL! Even though I now live in Oregon, I was born and raised in Ohio and have always been a HUGE Indians fan...even got to fly home last year and attend a game..great seats, too by the way. [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] <P>I can't recall who said their son plays little league..but my daughter does, too. She is 10 and is one of two girls on the team..and she is one mean short-stop!<P>Thanks again ppl...for makin me smile...<P>GO TRIBE!

S
Sheba Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Sheridan and Welcome!!!!<P>Glad we helped make you feel better and smile....that does the same for us!!!<P>WE all have so many stressful things going on around us that it is necessarry to just lay back and talk about something enjoyable.....<P>So, join in - start with telling me about the Indians/O's games the past couple of days....O's won last night - what about the others? Are they done now? Who took it? Must have been really weird seeing Hargrove in that O's uniform...I just caught a glimpse of him on a sports report, and it was strange for me and I am not even a follower!!!<P>Hugs,<P>Sheba

A
A
Sheeb, yes that IS good news about T. Gwynn! He might even be in the line-up tonite! Unfortunately, we're up against the new Mets ace Mike Hampton, who was outstanding last year for Houston. Gulp! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>I was talking about the Pads lack of pitching strength this year, but so far it hasn't really shown (in all 2 GAMES of the season... chuckle). But anyway, both Hitchcock and Williams have pitched strong games, so I'm a little more optimistic. I hope they can be that consistent throughout the year! Tonite our young gun Matt Clement steps up. We'll see...<P>--andy

S
Sheba Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Hi Airheart -<P>That's great that Gwynn may go tonight!!! So you are on to the Mets series now? <P>I am somewhat perturbed with the broadcasting so far.....where I am (CT) they have a local channel for Mets, Yanks, Red Sox and Braves.....NONE of them are being shown on them!!!<P>The biggie stations jump in and screw it all up!!!! ESPN starts showing a game and then switches to another - usually one that is already on on a different channel....<P>They showed the Mets the first day that I saw....and the Red Sox also....nothing outstanding shown on the news....<BR> <BR>UGH!!!! Maybe I am just missing it all somehow.......<P>Hopefully this next week will straighten things out...or at least when the East coast teams get back here things will get back to normal!!!<P>About your Pitching....told ya, just give it some time to see - when I saw the game with Hitchcock - he didn't look too bad!!!<P>Good Luck tonight.....<P>Dazed is too busy or she would be here with the Mets side of things!!!<P>Yanks have an off day today...Oh, what am I going to do tonight! (pout!!) If there's another good game I'll watch it - if not I don't think that ER is a rerun tonight!!!<P>Hugs,<P>Sheba<p>[This message has been edited by Sheba (edited April 06, 2000).]

S
S
Thanks for the welcome! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] I posted my 'Bonus Book Length' [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] story for you all to read. <P>As far as the Indians/O's games..I have no clue...couldn't even tell ya how many games they have played..just one, though, I think. The final score was 11-7 (or was it 12/7?) I dunno. It is very strange to see Hargrove in a jacket that doesn't have old wahoo on the back of it! [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] But he seems to be happy where he is...so that's all that really matters...although my personal opinion is that he got a real bum deal being fired.<P>Anyway..hope to be able to catch the game tonight...working nights like this is the pits..I used to LIVE for baseball season...but this year I am afraid it will just fly right by me!<BR>

S
Sheba Offline OP
OP Offline
S
Sheridan -<P>Life does have a way of pushing to the side some enjoyments, doesn't it? Hey, but that is what VCR's are for!! LOL!!<P>I replied on your "book"...believe me I am great at books and yours is more of a novella!!!<P>I forgot to say, in my previous post to you, that it's great that your D is doing so well with her team!!! Another proud Mama!!!!<P>Hugs,<P>Sheba

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 822 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation