Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#888545 10/02/00 02:28 AM
R
OP Offline
R
We have all had to create a username to post here, and I have seen some pretty creative ones - bonnet, peppermint,onoffonoff,new_beginning, schizzo,etc......<BR>Going on the theory that there is a meaning behind every name, my question is, is there a particular meaning to your user name? Might help me get to "know" some of you better.<BR>Being a person who often thinks in metaphors and similies, I chose the name "rockaway". I have very few memories of my biological father, but one memory is emblazoned in my mind forever. When I was three or four, I hurt myself badly and was in need of care and comfort, things not found in abundance in my original home. Noticing my loud cries of pain, my father picked me up and sat down in a rocking chair and held me, rocking me gently all the time until I felt better. To this day, the sense of comfort I felt in his arms in that rocking chair, is something that warms me from the inside out. It is such a pleasant sensation! So when I come here to this board to read, commisurate, and share, I often get that same feeling of comfort. I even have my own rocking chair in which I "rockaway" when I am in need of some inner comfort.<BR>So does anyone want to share the meaning behind their "handle"?<BR>Rockaway

#888546 10/02/00 07:48 AM
T
T
I guess I have issues with trust. I think my H was the only person I did trust... even more than myself.. I think my trust and expectations of such became too smothering for him..... <P>I have since been learning to trust myself...and to change my expectations of life and the people in mine.!!!!

#888547 10/02/00 07:59 AM
C
C
No deep meaning to mine, just a shortened version of the name I use on the radio.<P>If I were to come up with a meaningful handle, it would have to be "finishlast" because thats what seems to happen to nice guys like me!

#888548 10/02/00 09:45 AM
M
M
Rockaway-<BR>I wondered if your name had a musical reference. My name is a bit of a play on words. My real name is a synonym for "morning," and it seems that my entire life has been spent in a state of mourning my losses - my father, my mother, my unborn baby, my first husband, not to mention my childhood, my innocence and my ability to really feel happy.<BR>Mourning<P>Here's a song for you, by Metallica.<P>Until It Sleeps <P>Where do I take this pain of mine<BR>I run but it stays right by my side <BR> <BR> So tear me open and pour me out<BR> There's things inside that scream and shout<BR> And the pain still hates me<BR> So hold me until it sleeps <BR> <BR>Just like the curse, just like the stray<BR>You feed it once and now it stays<BR>Now it stays <BR> <BR> So tear me open but beware<BR> There's things inside without a care<BR> And the dirt still stains me<BR> So wash me until I'm clean <BR> <BR> It grips you so hold me<BR> It stains you so hold me<BR> It hates you so hold me<BR> It holds you so hold me<BR> Until it sleeps <BR> <BR>So tell me why you've chosen me<BR>Don't want your grip<BR>Don't want your greed<BR>Don't want it <BR> <BR> I'll tear me open make you gone<BR> No more can you hurt anyone<BR> And the fear still shakes me<BR> So hold me, until it sleeps <BR> <BR> It grips you so hold me<BR> It stains you so hold me<BR> It hates you so hold me<BR> It holds you, holds you, holds you until it sleeps (x4) <BR> <BR> So tear me open but beware<BR> There's things inside without a care<BR> And the dirt still stains me<BR> So wash me 'til I'm clean <BR> <BR> I'll tear thee open make you gone<BR> No longer will you hurt anyone<BR> And the hate still shapes me<BR> So hold me until it sleeps (x5)<BR>

#888549 10/02/00 10:00 AM
G
G
It's my work, passion, hobby and love - genetics........<P>J

#888550 10/02/00 11:08 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Thanks so far for the responses. It helps me communicate better if I have an idea of who you are behind the name. <P>Tootrusting - I know about trusting too much as I am sure all of us have been deeply disappointed in those with whom we have placed our trust. I trusted my wife completely. When I discovered that she had betrayed me I was devastated. Never thought that would happen to me. I had turned down many passes from women who knew I was married and I figured she would do the same in consideration of me. Now I know no one is safe from infidelity. I now also hold the distinction of betraying trust. What a tangled web we weave! You seem to have turned that loss of trust into a more realistic, positive form for you. Great!<P>Cjack - nice guys may seem to finish last, but I imagine that you are still first in someone's life who really counts - a daughter, a son, a mother, a close friend, perhaps some in your radio audience?<P>Mourning - I'll bet your first name is Dawn? Synonym for morning? You are indeed mourning devastating losses in your life. You seem to have been able to channel your resiliency into a successful business career. You must have incredible inner strength that perhaps you can marshal to overcome your marriage difficulties. Music seems to be a venue from which you gain comfort. The song by Metallica speaks to a lot of people - I am convinced that every person deals with personal pain and we are all "broken world people" whose personal happiness and safety have been shattered somehow.<BR>I love music, too, but my tastes are eclectic - from rock (BTO), red-neck rock (ZZ Top), country (Shania Twain!), oldies (anything "50's, 60's, "70's), to Big Band (Glen Miller), Baroque (Pacabel, Largo), to some Christian contemporary praise (Rich Mullins, Andrew Culverwell, Amy Grant).<P>genesforme- genetics and the debate on "nature vs nurture" is fascinating to me. Not having much knowledge about my birth family there is a void in my life that begs to be filled; it is shaped like this: how do I manifest the traits and characteristics passed on to me by my parents since I cannot look at them and say, "I got that trait from my dad, or I do this because my mother always did that." Unlock those mysteries for me, will you? <P><BR>Anymore submissions, anyone?<p>[This message has been edited by rockaway (edited October 02, 2000).]

#888551 10/02/00 11:43 AM
W
W
Ok, Ok, I will bite,<P>My beloved sister wept for days, including when she was in bed (her husband told me) when she heard that my WS betrayed me.<P>I also wept a lot. My father cried for the first time in his adult life on his deathbed as I told him I will miss him and his wisdom so much. He was hospitalised as a result of chest pains brought on by the chinless banshee who screamed at him over the phone.<P>I guess there was a lot of weeping going on. I thought the name weep was short, and pretty sums up my family's heartfelt pouring of their grieve for my unfortunate predicament. To them, I was the jewel in the crown, and they told and wrote me that I still was. I wept when I read that.<P>Then when I am on MB reading a lot of the posts, I weep often for the poor darlings caught in such webs of deceit and lives surrounded by so much turmoil instead of centered in love and joy.

#888552 10/03/00 12:20 AM
A
A
Hi.<P>I have used three usernames since I began posting last year. The first was Liz Smith. My mother always called me lizzielu, though it is not even close to my real name. At confession time, I thought of myself as "Lizzie Smith took an ax, and gave the OW 30 whacks," one for each time she ###'d my h. (A reference to Lizzie Borden who whacked her parents.)<P>In October of last year (Three months after his confession and recovery starting), I told my h. that I'd appreciate a love letter, like he used to write. <P>He wrote a short, sweet note on his palm pilot and emailed it to me, telling me that on the night he decided to propose seventeen years ago, he looked at me a realized that I was truly the "Pearl of Great Price". <P>I used POGP for several months. One day, I couldn't log on with that. So I now use alias. <P>Last Christmas, I requested and he gave me a pearl/diamond ring to replace my wedding ring, which I cannot bear to wear anymore. So I sign off as lizzie or lizpearl(hispearl). It's much nicer than the reference to a murderer.<P>lizzie/his POGP<p>[This message has been edited by alias (edited October 03, 2000).]

#888553 10/03/00 12:31 AM
K
K
I chose my user name because it sounds like "Christian" which is the foundation of my existence.<BR><P>------------------<BR>Love and Prayers,<BR>KristyAnn<P>One masculine need comes to mind which wives should not fail to heed. It reflects what men want most in their homes -- tranquility. Love for a Lifetime p.45

#888554 10/03/00 03:47 AM
S
S
Okay I will give this a go !<P>No big mystery here: about 18 months ago I was jendan69 which was a combination of my name Jenny and my hubby's name Danny and my birth year 1969, we started fixing things and I left. Well I have found it necc to return this time as sugarinbritches which is just what it says it is (LOL) A good friend calls me Sugar, I love to wear trousers or long pants as they are somtimes called which I belive you americans call britches so.... there we have it ! My good friend and I came up with this username <P>Jenny [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<BR>South Africa

#888555 10/03/00 11:55 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I am enjoying these insights into your names. Hope others are too. Some, like Weep are simple and direct, an expression of real emotion. Kristy Ann an expression of deeply held values.<BR>Alias, I always enjoyed quoting that little ditty about Lizzie Borden when I was a kid. And she looked like such a pretty, innocent thang... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] The wiseguys in the mob used "whack" as an euphemism for killing each other. Wonder if they got that from sweet little Lizzie? Your husband's love note, "Pearl of Great Price" is such a wonderful expression of affection. That must have made you feel wonderful!<BR>Sugarinbritches - sounds sweet and a bit erotic and that's as far as I can go with that - certainly intriguing! Being from South Africa, do you find some of our North American idioms and expressions hard to understand?<BR>I'd like to see some more.

#888556 10/04/00 12:57 AM
C
C
Well, as it is pretty well known in here now, I used to be a professional wrestler. Carolina Belle was the gimmick that I wanted to use - I was going to be a "fakey" sweet, innocent, manipulative Southern gal who always cheated to win. I fell in love with that character, but my trainers, The Fabulous Moolah and Mae Young didn't give me much creative input, so I never got to use it when I worked for them. But it was still a part of me.

#888557 10/03/00 02:01 PM
B
B
I have always looked for the postive side of things even when things are at the worst. Through my life there has been a lot of pain and misery I have always been positive and my friends and family says sometimes it will drive them nuts. But in misery something good comes from it. So the name bighope is how I felt for my marriage and will continue as we work to repair the damage.<P>Judy

#888558 10/03/00 06:19 PM
H
H
My name or handle really doesn’t describe me very well, but It's the title of an REO Speedwagon CD (album if you remember). REOs music could give most marriage counselors and therapist a run for their money when it comes to a BS understanding of their feelings about infidelity.

#888559 10/03/00 06:41 PM
M
M
<B>Mrs.</B> = I'm a Mrs, at least for now.<P><B>O</B> = The first letter of my first name, my blood type (+) and my first response on d-day...(shortly followed by "sh*t!")<P>Not all that creative, but short and sweet. It's fun to see the reasons behind these names...some are very insightful.<P>Aloha,<BR>Mrs.O<BR>

#888560 10/03/00 07:15 PM
H
H
If the username didn't have a size limit, I think I would now change mine to "Did_she_come_with_a_onwers_manual" . Not to say we guys would read an owner's manual or anything but that is where you can order replacement parts if something seems broken. Another one that comes to mind is "Is_she_under_warrantee" <P>What about the rest of you? Any amusing names come to mind?<BR>

#888561 10/03/00 07:15 PM
L
L
We did this before a few months back in the "lost episodes" of posts but this is for the newbies.<P>Lei=the symbol of the state of Hawaii I live in<P>and <P>lana=the name I first tried to enter but wasn't accepted. That's the name of my pooch who loves me unconditionally and has been loyal and faithful to me every day of her little doggie life.<P>

#888562 10/03/00 09:16 PM
W
W
I used to own a hot dog and hamburger stand.<BR>My customer's called me the Weinne Queen!

#888563 10/03/00 09:35 PM
Y
Y
Hey, my user name is my beloved dog's also. Stella loved me unconditionally. She was hit by a car last November. I miss her terribly, she was there with me during discovery etc. I got a new puppy three weeks ago. Her name is Georgia. But no one can replace Stella.

#888564 10/03/00 11:14 PM
A
A
Well, pretty boring one here. Alberta is the province in which I live! Pretty straightforward. If I could fit it in, I'd use Stronger_Better_More Aware.!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
3 members (anchorwatch, bb1471, 1 invisible), 654 guests, and 61 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation