Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
D
OP Offline
D
I'm a long timer here and haven't posted in a while. My question is a bit philosophical at this point, as I am getting divorced, but I'm interested in others viewpoints.<P>I've been separated more than two years. My husband had an affair with a subordinate that continues to this day. He refused marriage counseling and has never identified any issues with me or the marriage, aside from an initial flurry of "you're so controlling" statements during the intense anger he had at separation.<P>In viewing my husband during this time period, there's only one phrase that truly captures his behavior - "emotionally dead". He has never apologized for his affair and completely cutting me out of his life overnight. Not only is he remorse-free, he seems to also think he's done nothing wrong, either in the marriage or afterwards. I wrote him many letters, he never acknowledged them or responded. We had a newborn at the time he left. He has no relationship with her and still doesn't see her (shows no interest). We also have an eight year-old son. He brings the OW around but won't define the relationship to him. He never discussed with me bringing the OW to meet our son before doing it. My son comes home with the questions to me, since he says dad won't talk to him. He refuses to talk about the situation with anyone - me, our son, his parents, or any others I know of. In a public setting, he leads everyone to believe we're still together. In front of me, he's given out my address to others as his. He dropped all our common friends, hasn't spoken to any of my relatives, and even dropped his long-term friends from college and high school. On rare occasion, they still call the house asking for him.<P>In August I filed for divorce. He never told his family we're divorcing. I was uncomfortable with the deception and wound up telling his brother myself in mid-September. No one has told his parents, who are local and sees frequently. They still invite us to dinner together. He hasn't said a word to me about the divorce, hasn't even acknowledged that it's happening. I told our son about it by myself.<P>I haven't been mean or angry towards him since the first month of the separation. He sits down next to me and my friends at our son's sporting events, like I'm his friend. When he runs into old acquaintances he hasn't talked to in months/years, he acts as-if everything is normal.<P>I have all the money, custody of the kids, and am living in the house. His attorney has done literally NOTHING except respond since the divorce filing. There are no restraining orders, no financial holds, no settlement negotiations, no letters to my attorney. NOTHING. All the action is coming from me. My attorney has worked with his attorney before and told me this behavior is completely atypical.<P>Can anyone top the extremeness of this case? I'm about to put a settlement offer on the table and I'm wondering how he's going to respond to it (or perhaps not respond to it?).<P>Two plus years of this. The real question is - can this degree of suppression last forever? Has anyone else experienced a case like this and later seen a human being, with a full range of emotions, emerge?

L
L
Distressed,<P>I don't have any answers, but am looking for the same ones. I think my H might be similar to yours.<P>He had, I beleive mainly an emotional frienship type affair and has refused to admit it is anything more than frinds.<BR>He became so distant to me while living here that he would not talk to me. I gave him letters, no response, ever. I asked him to talk to me, go to counseling.<P>5 weeks ago he moved out. He has not contacted me since. I had to get his address and phone # from his Mom. He has not told them about OW and I had to tell them about our marriage problems, nothing from him.<BR>I have the feeling that left on his own he will never speak to me again. He took almost everything he wanted from the house, but still gets mail here, phone calls from his best friend.<P>I feel like I might be the one to initate a divorce should I ever want one. <BR>Its like he has wiped me out of his life and thats it.<BR>Lora

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 761 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,839 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation