Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
C
OP Offline
C
Could my husband have my emails I send at home, transferred to his office computer and read them? We have aol at home, could that AOLmail on Web do that? He is on internet at work and naturally would know our home password and screen name I am sure at work he has access to alot of things on the companys computer.I suspect that he somehow is reading my emails???? If he can have them tranferred how or what could I do to check it? Im new at this computer stuff but Im trying to learn fast. Thanks for any info

S
S
x<p>[This message has been edited by SeenTheLight (edited May 28, 2001).]

B
B
Hey Chardondeere. I'm in the software business, so I'll answer what I can. I don't use AOL, never have, but some e-mail programs (eg Microsoft Outlook) have a feature that allows you to do things such as forward copies of e-mail messages. If it has such a feature, you should be able to find it in the options of the mail program. Usually called something like "e-mail rules" or similar. If you wish to have your own private e-mail account, Yahoo (and many other Web sites) offer free e-mail accounts that you can use from any browser anywhere and are easy to set up. Of course I'm sure you would consider the consequences of keeping this a secret and/or him finding out about it. With careful use, you can use such an account w/o anyone being able to get in to it or snoop on it (unless your husband is a network engineer or computer security expert [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com] ). You may be able to check by looking at the "sent" items list. If he is forwarding them, they may show up there, indicating the address where they are being forwarded. Of course, if he has access to the AOL e-mail account from his office via Web, he can just look at the inbox and sent folders of everything that's received/sent w/o having to forward them anywhere.<P>The MB philosophy would suggest that there is nothing you keep from him and that it's OK for him to look at all e-mails. You have to decide if your situation warrants an exception to that general rule. Good luck.<BR>

Z
Z
Anyone can access their aol email accounts using the AOL Anywhere. Just go to <A HREF="http://www.aol.com" TARGET=_blank>www.aol.com</A> and see for yourself. It'll bring up a screen for signing onto your aol account and your email.<BR>So he does not need to have them transfered. He can go streight to the account. In addition aol has the "keep as new" capability so that a person can read the email and then make it look like it was not read.<P>Question here, are you the BS or the WS?<P>Z<BR>

I
I
I am not exactly sure about AOL, If he does have your username and password then yes he can check it. Opps maybe yu should get a different one if you do not want him to read your e-mails, (IE yahoo, MSN, excite, they all offer free e-mails). gee that is how I caught my wife in her affair. Plus a few other things I can do with a computer, but not giving anymore secrets out, technology is great!!!<P>

A
A
If you create your own screen name with AOL (you are allowed seven per account), you can then create your own password for that screen name. Unless he knows that password, your e-mail is safe.<P>Incidently, my wife (the WS) was in this position. She was blatant enough to rub in the anniversary date of her and the OP on several occassions.<P>In short, it wasn't too hard to figure out her password... [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]

C
OP Offline
C
Sorry people I forgot to mention something important. I use another name (not our master screen name) most of the time. I don't know how he would know my password but I know he knows the name of coarse. I just have this feeling he reads them but would have to be from my personal screen name and not the master which I know he would get ahold of those easily.Thanks for info.

Z
Z
I may be wrong, but I believe that in AOL, the master screen name is the account administrator. Therefore a person can get to all of the other screen names from that one. Seems I used to do that when my son (5 at the time) had his own screenname under my aol account. <P>You might want to call aol and ask them. <P>Z

W
W
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by zorweb:<BR><B>I may be wrong, but I believe that in AOL, the master screen name is the account administrator. Therefore a person can get to all of the other screen names from that one. Seems I used to do that when my son (5 at the time) had his own screenname under my aol account. <P>You might want to call aol and ask them. <P>Z</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>Zor,<BR>No, that's not correct. The master account screen name can't open up the other s/n's as well. Each s/n can have its own password and can only be opened up while logging on under that name, not via logging in under master s/n. I am a community leader/host for AOL, so I know this to be true. <P>Now, here are two thoughts for Chardoneere: <BR>Did you know that there is software that can be installed on your home computer that can log every single keystroke you make? This is how a lot of people nab passwords for email accounts, as well as read everything someone else has typed. Unless you are pretty much computer literate, you won't even know how to look for this software on your computer. <P>Also, did you know that your computer keeps a 'hidden file' of every webpage you've ever visited? Unless you delete the temp webpages buffer often, you can actually call up these HTML images on your screen, and that includes the webpages for your 'secret' email accounts as well. I'm not sure how it works, but if you don't delete the temp files on a regular basis, they become fixed in that special subdirectory, even if you just deleted all your newest temp files today. If you are running Windows, just go to Find/files or folders,select which drive you want, then type in *.html, *.htm in the "named" box, then go to the Date tab, choose "All Files Last Accessed". When all the files appear, choose "View", choose "sort by date". The most current ones will be at the top of this list. Incidentally, you can delete these old files at this point, if you so choose.<P>I found files dating back to when we first got our new hard drive, three years ago! You can click on any of those files and Internet Explorer will open up and display the page, if possible. I was shocked to find a 'secret' letter I wrote to my sister in vivid color on my screen! It was with one of those free email accounts--which I have since dumped. <P>Good luck to you and many hugs,<BR>Winny<BR><p>[This message has been edited by Winnytoo (edited May 29, 2001).]

J
JPW Offline
J
When it comes to computers, there are no secrets, unless you take decisive counter-measures to ensure your trail will be covered and eliminated.<P>I discovered this truth 2-1/2 years ago while cleaning out old files off my computer at home. That's where I discovered the trail of "secret" love letters my wife had been sharing with the OM. All those Hotmail .html copies residing in the "Temporary Internet Cache" files. It was all there. Couldn't have been more damning!<P>I disovered it quite innocently but, to add insult to injury, I am stil chastised for "snooping" and reading her private mail.<P>Oh, the humanity!

W
W
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by JPW:<BR><B>I disovered it quite innocently but, to add insult to injury, I am stil chastised for "snooping" and reading her private mail.<P>Oh, the humanity!</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>JPW,<BR>I love your sense of humor! Oh, the humanity, indeed! My H was furious with me, too, that I so-called "snooped" (if you can call doing the laundry and finding unfamiliar clothing in it, or finding personal gifts in the car's glovebox and trunk when looking for something else in them,etc.)and here's how I figure it: HE broke our contract the day he crossed over that line and made deliberate contact with the OW. His promises went right out the window, and to me, that changed everything. Up until this time--and we've been together a total of 17 years this December--I never ONCE looked through his coats, pockets or other personal things. I prided myself on my sense of honor and truthfulness. When he decided to throw his promises and vows to me out the window, there went his 'right' to privacy. Look at what he did to mine!! I have NO idea if he is comparing me to 'her' when he sees me naked and to me that is a huge violation of privacy. Does he also compare me to her in bed? In other things that a couple shares? To me, there is no greater violation of privacy than to invite a third party into one's home and/or life and not have the spouse in on the big secret. Contract is null and void, until proven otherwise. <P>Just my 2 cents' worth here! Hope y'all don't mind!<BR>Hugs,<BR>Winny<P>

S
S
Sorry about the abrupt "x" reply. My system crashed in the midst of replying.<P>Insist on installing 007STARR (the keystroke-recording program referred to previously). When you do the install, you determine the password. Then only you will have access to the log. Do an "invisible" install, it is COMPLETELY undetectable if approached properly. I am a computer professional and I have yet to crack STARR's security (I have been tempted, out of professional curiosity to really delve into it, but have given zorweb my word) ... and even should I succeed, the fact that STARR is no longer running would be proof enough of dishonest intent.<P>I empathize: it was a semi-hard sell for zorweb to convince me to install it (as I said, I am a computer professional, and "loss of control" on my network is somewhat repugnant) ... of course, what made me change my mind was the need to protect my W and to prove the rule of honesty was being adhered to. So, my "loss of control" in what, really, is a "trivial" home network is a small thing compared to that.<P>The Web address is <A HREF="http://www.iopus.com" TARGET=_blank>http://www.iopus.com</A> ... the program you will be looking for is 007STARR. Now, you could be dishonest here and just install it and not say anything, and the thought did cross zorweb's mind ... but she realized the pitfall there: the rule of honesty applies to us both. So avoid that temptation and discuss it with him first. If he resists ... wwwwwwweeeeeeeeeellllll ... let your conscience be your guide <smile>.<P>Godspeed and good luck,<BR>STL

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 149 guests, and 48 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Lost@1969, Jmoor9090, Confused1980, Bibbyryan860, Ian T
71,842 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation