Marriage Builders
Posted By: NoMas "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/03/00 02:30 PM
These are a few quotes I have read of late that seem to apply in various ways. Tell me what you think.<P>"IF you don't change the direction you are headed, you will get there"<P>"Happiness is not getting what you want, but wanting what you already have".<P>"No man chooses evil because it is evil; he only mistakes it for happiness, the good he seeks"<P>
Posted By: az allison Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/03/00 04:05 PM
How about this one:<P>Insanity is: doing the same thing over and over again, and expecting different results.<P>allison
Posted By: beth28 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/04/00 05:31 AM
I'm going to paraphrase this one, but it had a pretty significant impact on me from the time I heard it two years ago. I've got the gist of it's meaning, but I'm sure I don't have it word for word.<P>Within each of us is both the capacity to do the most significant good act the world has ever know, and within each of us is the capacity to do the most evil act the world has ever known. Day by day with each decision we make we travel between the two extremes. Nothing is left to chance. We choose whether we want to leave this world striving towards the most significant good, or the most significant evil.
Posted By: Tired LuLu Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/03/00 06:01 PM
I said something to my kids the other day tat sounded really "Churchillian".<P>I told each of my boys "The only power you have over your brother is the power of a good exampl".<P>That could apply to a spouse as well.
Posted By: wings Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/03/00 06:06 PM
Love the quotes...here's another good one..<P>"We first make our habits and then our habits make us." John Dryden
Posted By: CDA 72 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/03/00 10:14 PM
i'm not sure if this quote applies really to MB, but it has always been one of my favorites. Check out the author, Italo Calvino, a wonderful mind in this talented writer.<P>"yet, even now...<BR> every time, {often}<BR> that i find i don't understand something,<BR> then instinctively i'm filled with the hope that perhaps... this will be my moment again....<BR> perhaps, once again.. i shall understand nothing."<P><BR>somehow, i have always thought this applied to me. maybe i'm not the only one? maybe this is a pretty gray outlook to think of, but when the shoe fits....<P>CDA<BR>
Posted By: yes_dup518 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/04/00 01:51 AM
Here's some..<P>"Do you know what happens when you settle for something less than what you want? You get it everytime!"<BR>~Aynonomous <P>I haven't failed, I've found 10,000 ways that don't work. <BR>~Albert Einstein <P>Deal with the faults of others as gently as with your own. <BR>~Chinese proverb <P>People who have what they want are very fond of telling people who haven't what they want that they don't want it. <BR>~Mark Twain [Samuel Langhornne Clemens] (1835-1910) <P>Making the simple complicated is commonplace; making the complicated simple, awesomely simple, that's creativity. <BR>~Charles Mingus <P>
Posted By: ThisAlex Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/04/00 01:58 AM
* To forgive does not just mean to pardon, it means to let go. <P>* Jesus, probably the greatest teacher of forgiveness in history ("Forgive them, Father, for they know not what they do"), used the Aramaic word shaw when he spoke of forgiveness. Shaw means "to untie." <P>* If you are tied to a rock that is pulling you down in the water, all you have to do is forgive it (untie it) and swim toward the light. <P>* When you forgive the past, you untie yourself from the past, and are free. <P>* To forgive also means to be for (in favor of) giving (to deliver a gift). When you forgive, you affirm that you are in favor of giving. <P>* To whom do you give? Another? Sometimes. Yourself? Always. When you release another to go his or her own way, you free yourself to do the same. <P>The process of giving yourself this gift of freedom is forgiveness.<P>You'll find these quotes and lots of good material at a great site called <A HREF="http://survivingloss.com" TARGET=_blank><B>Surviving Loss</B></A><P>Alex<P>------------------<BR><B>Live fully and always learn</B>
HI ALL,<BR> Here's my favorite that I've lived by all my life.<BR> <BR> "You don't always get what you go after but you NEVER get what you don't go after"<P> And my newest favorite:<BR> "You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take" <P> I think these apply..... FRANK
Posted By: beth28 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/06/00 11:59 PM
Saw this one on a church billboard...<P>First seek to understand, then seek to be understood.
Posted By: Gonnatry Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/07/00 01:16 AM
OK I'll play, all applicable here.<P>Experience is a tough teacher, it gives the test first and then the lesson.<BR>~unknown<P>Even in the deepest sinking there is the hidden purpose of an ultimate rising. Thus it is for all men; from none is the source of light withheld unles she himslef withdraws it. Therefore, the most important thing is not to despair.<BR>~Hasidic Saying<P>Fall seven times, stand up eight<BR>~Japanese Proverb<P>The chains of habit are too weak to be felt until they are too strong to be broken.<BR>~Samuel Johnson<P>Honesty is the first chapter in the book of wisdom<BR>~Thomas Jefferson
Posted By: NoMas Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/07/00 01:30 PM
~The only difference between wisdom and experience is that experience just cost so much more.<P><BR>
Speaking of church billboards, this one made me chuckle:<P>"Praise your wife, even if it frightens her at first"
Like a gold ring in a pig's snout is a beautiful woman who shows no discretion. (Proverbs 11:22)<P>No one finds happiness at someone else's expense. (My Grandmother)<P>He who brings trouble on his family will inherit the wind, and the fool will be servant to the wise. (Proverbs 11:20)
Posted By: LisaM Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/07/00 02:15 PM
<I>I once complained because I had no shoes, and then I met a man who had no feet.</I><P>
Posted By: soveryhurt Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/07/00 08:02 PM
~Sing like no one is listening<BR> Dance like no one is watching <BR> and<BR> Love like you have never been hurt~
When you come to a 4 way stop, and you don't know which way to go, park.<P>Pray without ceasing.<P>If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.<BR>
Posted By: ouch Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/08/00 01:32 PM
Try always to be the person your dog thinks you are.<BR>- Unknown<P>In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity.<BR>- Albert Einstein<P>Take your life in your own hands and what happens? A terrible thing: no one to blame. <BR>- Erica Jong<P>It is not that which is beautiful that pleases us, but that which pleases us is called beautiful. <BR>- Leo Rosten<P> Thinking is easy, action is difficult; to act in accordance with one's thoughts is the most difficult thing in the world. <BR>- Johann Wolfgang von Goethe<BR>
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>When you come to a 4 way stop, and you don't know which way to go, park.<BR><HR></BLOCKQUOTE><P>But don't just sit there. Look at a map!<P>
You don't stop dancing because you get older, you get older because you stop dancing.<BR>-Author Unknown
Posted By: peppermint Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/09/00 05:22 AM
When something bad happens to you, you either have to get over it or die with it.<P>and<P>Once someone has proven themself to you, don't make them have to show you again.<P>Both favorites of my late father.<P><BR>Another that I NOW understand:<P><BR>One of the biggest misunderstandings between men and women is that women think men are just as complicated as women, and men think women are just as simple as men.<P>Author unknown<P><BR>Peppermint
Posted By: Holding On Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/09/00 05:29 AM
From a church billboard also: <P>"Christ, My Final Answer"<P>If I was on "Who wants to be a Millionaire" I would be 100% sure of this answer.
Posted By: dj Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/08/00 06:03 PM
How about;<P>If you lay down with dog's your bound to get up with fleas.
It's not my job to understand life. It's my job to live it.<BR>- My Best Friend
Posted By: beth28 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/13/00 11:10 PM
From a Moody Blues song<P>for it was when he was of anger or hate or felt fear that he was not understanding...<P>Actually I think I misquoted it, but the sentiment is there and it's close. I'll have to go home and listen to it tonite to get it right. "A question of Balance" Last song.
Posted By: tracing Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 06/14/00 06:55 AM
"What is trust, when it's not sacred?"<P> -HotWaterMusic<BR>
Posted By: NoMas Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/21/00 01:42 PM
We are not held back by the<BR>love we didn't receive in the past,<BR>but by the love we're not extending<BR>in the present.<P>~Reader's Digest
"Ah, but a man's grasp should not exceed his reach. Or what's a heaven for."<P>The one that has gotten me through so much so far and will get me through all of this is...<P>"Life's greatest blessings often appear to us in the shapes of pains and disappointments, but let us have patience and we soon shall see them in their proper figures."
Posted By: SALEM139 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/21/00 06:34 PM
The man that does not read books; has no advantage over the man that can't read them.<P>------------------<BR>PSALMS 133<BR>AMOS 7:7-8<BR>ECCLESIASTES 12:1-7
I think I read this one here and love it;<P> "The difference between a coward and a hero is the way he runs"<P> Kris
Posted By: homer Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/21/00 07:20 PM
here is one that my W loved so much, although it doesn't realy apply on MB.<P>"Women who strive to be equal to men lack ambition"<P>I always thought it was funny, she was serious.
Posted By: sobeit Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/21/00 08:44 PM
"You're just jealous because the voices talk to me" [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]
Posted By: MEDIC238 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/22/00 05:01 AM
"It's not over till we say it's over! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? H*ll no!" Blutto...Animal House 1984<P>Ok, so I fell down the cellar steps and broke the concrete as a child. What do you people want from me?!?!?!?!? [Linked Image from marriagebuilders.com]<P>The Zipman
OK, my personal favorite, not that it applies to MB<P>"It is better to keep your mouth closed and have people think you a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."
Posted By: WilliamJ Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/22/00 05:46 AM
Pain is inevitable, misery is a choice.<P>I saw that on a Church billboard two days after discovery....No IMHO no truer words have been written.<P>Bill<P>------------------<BR><P>May the roads rise to meet you,<BR>May the winds always be at your back,<BR>May the sun shine warm upon your face,<BR>The rains fall soft upon your fields,<BR>And until we meet again,<BR>May god hold you<BR>In the hollow of his hand.
Posted By: buffy Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/22/00 06:22 AM
I love quotes. Here's a favorite that applies to a few board members and many Hs. <P>"If the person that you are talking to does not seem to be listening, be patient. It may simply be that he has a small piece of fluff in his ear."<BR> --Winnie the Pooh<P>We can learn at lot from the comics, can't we,like:<P>"In the book of life, the answers aren't in the back."<BR> --Charlie Brown<P>On the serious side:<P><BR>"Love is when you take away the feeling, the passion, and the romance in a relationship- and find out you still care for that person."<BR> --Unknown <P><BR>"The more anger towards the past you carry in your heart, the less capable you are of loving in the present." <BR> --Barbara De Angelis<P>Buffy<P>
Posted By: willbok99 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/22/00 07:00 AM
I qouted this to my stbx<BR>"If you sleep with dogs, you will wake up with fleas"<BR>and<BR>" Be careful what you wish for, it might just come true"<BR>and so it did come to pass for him.......<BR>He sure lay down with dogs and is infested ..............<BR> and he has to live with what he wished for.<P>"The grass is not always greener on the other side" is the one he still will learn!
I don't know who said this, but . . . As far as I know this is the entire text, not just the normally quoted version.<P>GOD, grant me the<BR>Serenity <BR>to accept the things<BR>I cannot change<BR>Courage<BR>to change the<BR>things I can<BR>and the<BR>Wisdom<BR>to know the difference.<P>Living ONE DAY AT A TIME;<BR>Enjoying one moment at a time;<BR>Accepting hardship as the<BR>pathway to peace.<P>Taking, as He did, this<BR>sinful world as it is,<BR>not as I would have it.<P>Trusting that He will make<BR>all things right if I<BR>surrender to His Will;<P>That I may be reasonably happy<BR>in this life, and supremely<BR>happy with Him forever in<BR>the next.<P>Amen<P><BR>Hopefully someday, I will be able to live up to this.<P>God Bless
Posted By: WilliamJ Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/22/00 10:51 AM
Empty Shell,<P>I say that prayer everyday...It has becomethe moto of my life...<P>Here is the original version...<P>God, give us grace to accept with serenity<BR>the things that cannot be changed,<BR>courage to change the things<BR>which should be changed,<BR>and the wisdom to distinguish<BR>the one from the other.<BR>Living one day at a time,<BR>Enjoying one moment at a time,<BR>Accepting hardship as a pathway to peace,<BR>Taking, as Jesus did,<BR>This sinful world as it is,<BR>Not as I would have it,<BR>Trusting that You will make all things right,<BR>If I surrender to Your will,<BR>So that I may be reasonably happy in this life,<BR>And supremely happy with You forever in the next.<BR>Amen.<P>Reinhold Niebuhr (1892-1971) <BR>
Posted By: kam6318 Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/22/00 12:42 PM
"Hidden inside every loss and disapointment is a gift for you. Right now, you may not be ready to find it. But, trust that when you are ready, it will be there."<P>The last one is very meaningful to me. It does not mean to say that the "gift" is equal to the loss...it often is not. Only that even the worst things that happen to us can lead to growth if we will let them.<P><BR>Also, how about:<P>"Your spouse is not a mindreader."<P>And, one of my faves from this site: "The grass is greener where it is watered."<P><BR>
Posted By: WeNeQn Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/23/00 08:33 PM
"Pleasure that is obtained by unreasonable and unsuitable cost, must always end in pain."*Samuel Johnson {1709-1784 British Author}<P>"People are lonely because they build walls instead of bridges." --Joseph Fort Newton<P>"Most people never feel secure because they are always worried that they will lose their job, lose the money they already have, lose their spouse, lose their health, and so on. The only true <BR>security in life comes from knowing that every single day you are improving yourself in some way, that you are increasing the caliber of who you are and that you are valuable to your company, your friends, and your family."<BR>*Anthony Robbins {American Speaker, Peak Performance Expert}<P>"Each day provides its own gifts." --Ruth P. Freedman<P>"Let everyone sweep in front of his [or her] own door, and <BR>the whole world will be clean."--Goethe<P>"Changing brings questions, and questions bring change." <BR>--Anonymous<P>"When life knocks you down, try to land on your back. Because if you can look up, you can get up. Let your reason get you back up."{Les Brown American Author & Motivator Speaker}<P>
Posted By: cjack Re: "Quotes" that make you think some.... - 07/23/00 10:35 PM
This is fun!<P>Here's some more:<P>"Any woman will tell you: even Mr. Right has a few things wrong with him."<P>"To be happy, live each day as if it were the first day of your marriage and the last day of your vacation."<P>"Sometimes the winner is simply the person who sticks with it a little longer."<P>All taken from "Second Thoughts" by Mort Crim
© Marriage BuildersĀ® Forums