Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
I was reading a post on another site by a guy struggling with not telling his kids. He seemed to feel that the consensus among therapists or 'experts" is that the kids should not be told.
So, what other folks that practice in this field agree with Harley I was under the impression that a fair number agreed with his position.
I've seen the exchange that Mel posted by Dr Laura Schlesinger on this issue. Not to be too disrespectful, but Laura is sort of like Dr Phil. IMO. a self promoting know it all/narcissist, whose legitimacy is called into question by the fact that she is willing to give specific advice over the airwaves for profit.
So, who else is in agreement with Harley? How about Dodson, Glass, Pittman, Abram- Spring, Lunderman(sp?), Peggy vaughn , etc? Where do these folks stand, if anyone knows.

M
M
I don't know. I don't really care either, since I figure it's sort of like the majority of "marriage counselors" who don't know how to save marriages; who have an 84% failure rate. Yet they call themselves "experts" despite the fact they can't save marriages. Dr Harley stands out from that crowd too, in that he actually knows how to save marriages.

The concensus amongst the traditional marriage counseling crowd - the ones who can't save marriages - is also against exposure and nonchalant about observing no contact with the affair partner. Yet we see how effective exposure is and how crucial no contact is.

I think the issue of telling children is no different. With absolutely no evidence that telling children the truth harms them, some "counselors" advise not telling them. And why? Who knows.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

M
M
p.s. I don't agree with Dr Laura on every issue but her views on this are tightly reasoned and deserving of respect, IMO. What counts is the merit of the idea, after all, not a concensus. There is a "concensus" that exposure is bad and no contact is not necessary; doesn't mean that is wise.

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101

T
T
" whose legitimacy is called into question by the fact that she is willing to give specific advice over the airwaves for profit."

What counselor gives advice for free?

What are they in business for their health?

Same for any person.

People work for income. So by you definition everyone must be bad at their jobs in this country because every one wants to get paid for their knowledge.

M
M
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
whose legitimacy is called into question by the fact that she is willing to give specific advice over the airwaves for profit.

Dr Harley and his wife, Joyce, used to do the exact same thing. Have you listened to their radio clips on this forum? Marriage Builders Radio

Exposure 101

S
S
I would not have told my DS if I in any way thought it would harm him...even if Dr Harley suggested it. I weighed the pros and cons myself and thought what Dr Harley said about exposure to the children made sense to me...

I 100% believe that any hurt that my DS has is about the A and his father leaving NOT me telling him the truth. If I didnt tell my DS the truth I have no doubt that my WH, OW and DS would be spending time together and my DS would be more screwed up by that.

To me it is old fashioned to sweep stuff under the rug, that was the problem with my WH, I was in a deep depression and never having to face any problems in his life before, he had no idea what to do...so he pretended it wasnt happening and found someone else...to me it has been proven that this method is harmful...

I may be wrong but I believe that children deserve the truth, age appropriately of course. MY WH cheating on me was his way of avoiding the truth, so he thought he would just cheat and I would never find out. Well when I found out the truth, It was much more damaging then if he just faced our family problems head on.

My WH told my DS that he wasnt happy anymore so he left...was that good...so would my DS think that if he wasnt happy with him that he would find a new son.

The truth can be very painful but lies can be much more painful, especially the longer they are kept from someone, even children...JMHO

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by TheRoad
" whose legitimacy is called into question by the fact that she is willing to give specific advice over the airwaves for profit."

What counselor gives advice for free?

What are they in business for their health?

Same for any person.

Yeah, but Phil and Laura give snippets of advice to a specific posters in public. It's clearly a sham.
Anyway, I was not aware there is some type of consensus on not exposing and on NC being unnecessary. Is that right?
I would think most profesionals would be in favor of both thise policies.
And, on laura, holy smokes, what a background, if Wikipedia is to be believed. They claim she was an OW, cohabitated with a guy, and was posing nude for some old geezer she had an affair with.
I happen to agree with her position on telling the kids, but she must've been hell on wheels.

People work for income. So by you definition everyone must be bad at their jobs in this country because every one wants to get paid for their knowledge.

Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Don't get me wrong, I am in complete agreement with Harley's position on exposing far and wide, including the kids.
But, this guy on another website felt that this was a minority position.
So, other than experts like myself smirk and Harley, anyone else of renown taking this position?

Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Dang, I inserted my reply into someone's post, again, making it look like part of her post. Sorry.

M
M
Originally Posted by Zelmo
Don't get me wrong, I am in complete agreement with Harley's position on exposing far and wide, including the kids.
But, this guy on another website felt that this was a minority position.
So, other than experts like myself smirk and Harley, anyone else of renown taking this position?

I don't know because I never checked into it. To me, that has no relevance on the merit of the idea. An idea's value is based on its own merit, not on whether there is a concensus.

Exposure 101

H
H

grin ME grin

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Originally Posted by tst

grin ME grin

Well, there you have it. Three of the brightest bulbs on the planet, aligned. hurray

M
M
This from Peggy Vaughn:
The question of "telling the children" about a parent's affair is a common concern. In general, when kids know there's something wrong and don't know what it is, they tend to imagine that it has something to do with them. So they need to be given some kind of explanation for whatever emotional upheaval they may be sensing between their parents. But there is no simple guide to follow. Each parent must make their own decisions about telling the children.
Full Article here.

Divorce360 sends mixed messages. Some of their writers advocate telling the kids others only in cases where they will find out some other way. Most of the articles point to holding off until you figure out whether or not you are going to separate or divorce.

My take is that since most people want to keep their affairs secret so they don't have to deal with the consequences of cheating, they feel that the kids don;t have to know what is going on. In cases of impending divorce almost all counselors recommend telling the kids at least in a benign way since their world is about to change forever.

The problem of course is that depending on the age of the children, they already know something is up and little minds when Mommy and Daddy are alternating between hushed whispers and loud verbal exchanges, often calling each other vile names, tend to fill in the blanks from their own imaginations.

A 4 year old can decide that Mommy and Daddy are mad because he did something horribly wrong. A 10 year old might think that Daddy having a new girlfriend means that she is no longer his special little girl. A 16 year old might become disgusted at the whole notion of a caring committed relationship even being possible and a college student might question if their whole life was just a lie.

So I think kids need to be told the truth, with the one condition that the truth be age appropriate. If the BS is telling the kids then every effort must be made to avoid berating the WS and making the whole thing into the BS building a support group out of the kids.

The other "experts" are mixed with some saying tell them as soon as the confrontation takes place, others saying tell them once you know you are not going to reconcile or even making the whole thing remain hidden from view until someone else brings it up.

Of course knowing if you are going to reconcile is sometimes not really known for more than a year and if Daddy is moved out and living with a girl half his age, the kids are going to wonder why they have to go visit him every other weekend when they and Mom still live in the nice home they always enjoyed.

And if someone else mentions that Mom is a cheating sl*t or calls her a wh*re, even a 4 year old is going to have questions.

The single biggest reason to tell the kids the truth IME is to teach them what is right and wrong with the whole situation. How do you deal with adultery and even attempt to save the marriage if you are pretending it doesn't exist. If the marriage is saved, they will always wonder what was going on and if the marriage ends they are going to find out sooner or later. Might as well be sooner IMO.

Mark

H
H
Originally Posted by tst

grin ME grin

Well, there you have it. Three of the brightest bulbs on the planet, aligned. hurray

ROTFLMAO rotflmao

Recovery began 10/07;

Meeting my wife's EN's is my "thank you" that refuses to be silenced.
Z
Zelmo Offline OP
OP Offline
Z
Well, I pointed that guy on the other website to Harely's site.
I was surprised by the contrast between the posts over there, basically accepting the premise tha virtually everone agrees that the kid don't find out, and those on this site.
I mean, here is this poor guy not only being destroyed by the affair, but feeling guilty that two of his four kids, the older ones, have figured out that his wife is cheating. Bet his wife does not give a rat's [censored], except to the extent she gets some negative consequences from the kids.
Do waywards love their kids?

S
S
I often wonder to if waywards love their kids...all I know is that my WH left my home with my son literally attached to his leg crying and begging him not to leave...it makes me physically ill thinking of it...I could never leave my DS like that, I would do ANYTHING for him...

All I could think is that he hated me so much that he would even leave his son so he didnt have to be with me...

BW me-41
WH -39
DS - 9
married 12 Yrs together(?) 18 yrs when A discovered
DDay aug 2007
found MB dec 2007
Moved out april 2008
still seeing OW
Plan B

Okay I fixed the ages, it was looking screwy. smile
N
N
Z,

I don't know about any of the "reknown" that you mention, BUT I will tell that my DD's therapist about ripped me a new one for NOT being truthful ( and essentially exposing) about H's affair. She had over-heard the screaming match on Dday and "sorta" knew what was going on. Her dad and shamefully I then gaslighted her for a month.

When I told her counselor what WAS going on, she repermanded me something fierce for not being honest and CONTRIBUTING to her turmoil of the sitch......something I then corrected immmediately.

DD had been going to this counselor off and on for 3 yes. because of SA......

So while she may not be "well- reknown", she is very reputable in counseling community.....

And I agree with what Mel is saying.....who needs a consencous to KNOW what the right thing to do is??......

Not2fun

M
M
Well, I pointed that guy on the other website to Harely's site.
I was surprised by the contrast between the posts over there, basically

I hope you can get him over here.

Exposure 101

M
M
Originally Posted by stillhere8126
I often wonder to if waywards love their kids...all I know is that my WH left my home with my son literally attached to his leg crying and begging him not to leave...it makes me physically ill thinking of it...I could never leave my DS like that, I would do ANYTHING for him...

My wayward father took me to meet his OW at a hotel when I was 4. AGE 4. Can you even imagine?

Exposure 101

N
N
basically accepting the premise tha virtually everone agrees that the kid don't find out,

What nonsense...... Kids DO in fact find out. Sooner or later, one way or another they find out and SOMEONE needs to be there to stear them on the right path.....otherewise, they grow up thinking affairs are okay and normal........

Good job on pointing him here.....

Not2fun

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 584 guests, and 71 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation