Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13
P
OP Offline
P
And this is why YOU, Indiana Jones, are a MB success story !!!!!
hurray

I
I
kiss

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

W
W
Originally Posted by Pepperband
Originally Posted by WhoAreWE
Are you walking away from your mountain of resentments?

Pepperband,

I am the FWW, we are walking away from our mountain of resentments holding hands. But there are days that we must teleport back toward the mountain for a few hours or a day.

Ha! ... "teleport".

I know you are the wayward. Waywards usually have a "mountain" as well.

What is your timeline?
D-day?
More than one D-day?
How fast were you to surrender all you could about your affair?

Our only D-Day was a year ago. We "honeymooned" for a few months then he went through a long angry phase with a lot of resentment. That is when I tried to hold on to the honeymoon memories. Now his angry moments are fewer but somehow they hurt more and bring out my resentment more. Got to hold on to the good moments.

Me-41 (WW)
DH-46 (BH)
DD-7, DS-11, DD-15
Together 20 years, married 16
C
C
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
At what point were you able to let your emotional guard down? What made this possible?

Firstly- we suffered no FR. That is critical, IMO.
Secondly- Mr Pep stopped his EA/PA on the day of discovery and went to the OWH in person to confess & apologize (with me by his side).
Thirdly- Mr Pep immediately stopped drinking and started going to AA (still goes, 16.5 years later)

These circumstances made it possible for me to even consider recovery. I had less to resent than many on this forum. Of this, I am fully aware & grateful.

So, you cannot really "compare" recovery timelines with mine.

I will answer your question like this:

Imagine your resentment is a mountain. The size of your mountain is bigger than mine was. Yes? With me so far?

How do you make that mountain go away? It's a damn mountain, after all !
You make it "disappear" from your reality by walking away. It gets smaller with every step, but it might not seem like it is any smaller for quite awhile, because it is such a large mountain.

Eventually, you will notice, when you look behind you, the mountain appears smaller as it lowers on the horizon.

One day, you won't be able to see it.
You know it is there, but instead of choosing to walk towards it to see it again, you keep walking away.

I hope this visual helps.

Your time line will depend on how big your mountain is, and how much you walk in the opposite direction.

Of course, if your spouse piles more resentments on the mountain, it grows.

You guys are truly a success story

Thinking about the "sacrifice" thing, I came upon another outlook I thought was interesting

When we get married, we are not individual anymore, we are one

When we are a sacrifice, we do it alone. When we sacrifice what has allready been sacrificed above and beyond what as mere humans we can sacrifice, we frustrate grace, for ourselves first, and then for others

Sacrifice has been done allready for our sakes, we cannot exceed it, no matter how good we try to look

Does that make sense? Lol I hope so

Last edited by ConstantProcess; 07/20/12 03:34 PM.
C
C
Screwed up that post coming from my cell phone sorry gonna GP fix it at my PC

C
C
Tried to delete the last post and then edit it, both failed...

Think of Rosana Rosana Dana...

"Nevermind" smile

W
W
indie, I have to say, I thought this was awesome:

Originally Posted by indiegirl
Instead of resentment, I am moved to pity for the day he sees the mountain he created is casting a shadow so dark that nothing grows in his life.

I wonder how he will free himself from that darkness. But I have.

This thread prompted me to read a little more about resentment. I found lots and lots of articles giving advice about "letting go" of resentment, and they echoed what you said, indie.

Just some interesting bits:

Originally Posted by Here
�Never apologize for showing feelings. When you do so, you apologize for the truth.� ~Benjamin Disraeli�

We often experience resentment toward other people when we find it hard to forgive them and hold onto unspoken pain.

Whenever we feel we�ve been treated unfairly, judged, or wronged, we have a very powerful internal reaction.

The emotions we experience are strong. We feel them intensely and deeply, because they challenge us to reassess the self-image we hold of ourselves.

The unexpressed painful emotions we experience as a result of other peoples� actions have the potential to transform into resentment if they are not released in a healthy, effective, and timely way.

Resentment lives inside us, feeding on our negative feelings and emotions. It becomes stronger the longer it is ignored. It can mutate and develop into a warped veil, which prevents us from seeing the world from a healthy, balanced perspective.

If left unresolved, resentment has the power to be all consuming, and is very effective at fuelling anger.

In turn, unexpressed, internalized anger is a ticking time-bomb which can lead to abusive or self-destructive behavior, or a combination of both.

Resentment is a very personal and private emotion, as it has almost no effect on the person it is directed towards. ***(Although, in the context of this thread, if we consider the use of resentment as punishment, then it does have an effect on the person it is directed towards...I wonder sometimes though, who is really being punished? If you resent, and close yourself off...and you just exist, rather than seek fulfillment...what does long-term resentment become? Does it become indifference? Apathy? Depression? Just thinking out loud...)***
It resides with its owner, and causes negativity and pain.

Originally Posted by Here
Guilt and resentment are states of mind that destroy love and create suffering. They seem to be caused by what happened but they're not. They are caused by how you relate to what happened.

When you have a resentment, a major part of you closes down. You become bitter and less able to express your love. You lose your aliveness and your joy for life. You put up walls of protection and you make your life more difficult.

Letting go of a resentment is not for the benefit of the other person. Letting go of a resentment is for you.

When you resent someone, you are saying very forcefully, that the other person is the problem, the cause and the fault. Not you. You forcefully blame the other person so you don't have to look at yourself.

If you looked at yourself, you would have to experience all the hurt from what happened. You would have to feel all the hurt of being not good enough, not worth loving or some other form of not okay. To avoid this hurt, you resent.

The first step in releasing a resentment is to be willing to feel this hurt. Look under the resentment and find the hurt. Find the feelings of being not good enough or not worth loving that you are avoiding. Then be willing to experience them. Cry if you can. Once you are willing to feel this hurt, you no longer need the resentment.

The next step is to notice that the person you resent has a very particular state of mind and a very particular way of seeing life. Notice that this person has a very limited awareness and acts totally consistent with his or her limited skills and ability.

Now notice that if this person was wiser and more aware, then he or she would be able to act very differently, but the person isn't wiser and more aware. This person only has the limited awareness that he or she has.

Notice that this person is doing the very best he or she can with his or her very limited ability. ***(I wouldn't say a wayward is doing "the best they can" - I'd say the wayward is just doing what waywards do with their limited ability.)*** Notice how much this person suffers as a result of his or her limited equipment.

I highlighted the part above that made me think about your post, indie. Says a lot about us waywards - a very particular state of mind and a particular way of viewing life...limited skills and abilities. I know for a fact that I am not the same woman I was in 2009. That woman had a very particular, wayward state of mind. A particular way of looking at the world. Looking through wayward-colored lenses.

I have painfully gained wisdom now...but to the detriment of my marriage I didn't have it three years ago.

Your WH is not just in the shadow of the mountain he created, he's chained to it. Until he finds it in himself to break those chains, he'll never be free of that mountain. He's not wiser and more aware. He may never be. And for that I pity him too.

FWW

"Snow and adolescence are the only problems that disappear if you ignore them long enough." ~ Earl Wilson
M
M
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
Says a lot about us waywards - a very particular state of mind and a particular way of viewing life...limited skills and abilities. I know for a fact that I am not the same woman I was in 2009. That woman had a very particular, wayward state of mind. A particular way of looking at the world. Looking through wayward-colored lenses.

I have painfully gained wisdom now but...to the detriment of my marriage I didn't have it three years ago.

Good post WPG. Resentment to me at least is a method to extend punishment. As if total destruction of me mentally and physically, humiliation in front of our family, having to carry a brutal mental lode herself, having a husband who has basically little or no trust in her, among dozens of other things, isnt enough of a punishment.

I gave me her some resentment based stuff over the phone last week on travel. No yelling. Just trust based stuff. She said, "I will forever try to earn your trust and maybe someday I will be successful...but I know I trust myself and right now thats all I have to go on. I know you are angry, I know you have moments and images still, I know I did it to you. This is what i created. Know that i love you. I loved you while I was hurting you, too. That may seem unimaginable, but when I think about what I did, its true. I have spent the last year trying everyday to make you happy and to feel safe and its very difficult with the emotions you are facing. I will never stop trying."

The point Im trying to make is sort of what is quoted above how resentment has no effect on the person it was directed towards. It only serves me, the resenter, to make open a wound in her, to punish. My wife doesnt let moods affect her focus. She doesnt cry or yell back, just listens and calmly retorts.

In some way, my wife's ability to handle my resentment so well is contradictory to her actually entering an affair. If you believe in the limited abilities concept, how then is she able to be all she is today? This is at the heart of my issues, how can she be the great wife she has turned into while just a short time ago she was living a morally corrupt, inevitably disasterous and moronic existence?

Life keeps on slipping, slipping, slipping into the fuuuu-ture.
I
I
Originally Posted by wulffpack_girl
I have painfully gained wisdom now...but to the detriment of my marriage I didn't have it three years ago.

Your WH is not just in the shadow of the mountain he created, he's chained to it. Until he finds it in himself to break those chains, he'll never be free of that mountain. He's not wiser and more aware. He may never be. And for that I pity him too.

Thanks WPG. I often pity waywards, especially those waywards who seem 'chained' to it. In spite of the often extreme hedonism it doesn't look like a very happy life.

But I NEVER expected to gain enough distance to pity my own wayward. To feel ..a sort of mini prayer he delivers himself.

I knew hate would hurt me more than him..but active compassion? I wasn't even attempting that goal.

I think Pep is just so right about the mountain analogy. It may seem impossible to escape but just keep walking, walking, walking and there's no telling how far you might get.

What would you do if you were not afraid?

"Fear is the little death. Fear is the mind-killer" Frank Herbert.

A
A
BR: If I knew what I needed, I�d probably be where I could get it.

But, actually, I am not sure I need anything. I have placed my M at arms length and I am safe. I not only feel safe, I am safe.

The VLTA is never mentioned nor is the entire decade it happened in. It�s interesting living with a 10 year-long gap in one�s shared history. It�s sometimes an elephant in the room all by itself.

I find it interesting a poster takes issue with an individual word of mine. I think it would not matter, the word, though. A word would have been found to matter. To resent, if you will.

Resentment is what caught my attention. I had it in spades. But I don�t have it now. Wondering if others had as much to resent, maybe. If they got over it the same way I did. Apparently not. The advice on this thread tends toward the Suck It Up variety.

I agree with the following. No one should be abused. For any reason.

�I don't want to be a vengeful spouse. I would rather be alone forever.�

I also agree with Pep - a FR, is way huge. A five year-long FR in my case. Two false recoveries in fact. And the lies. Lies upon lies upon lies. Lies about lies. Unrelenting never ending hell of lies. For a decade. Sheesh. Seemed to matter to me, anyway, no matter what some posters here say.

Dr H says LTAs are very difficult to overcome. He writes this in several different places and in several different ways. That means (implies - if a certain poster needs a word to bite onto) many if not most do not recover no matter what they do (and I did every bit of MB). Otherwise a VLTA would not be difficult. Just tedious.

I feel recovered, personally recovered. What else is there after a VLTA? Nothing I want.

I will be gone for quite a while again soon. More travel to the East. While gone I plan to assess whether I should come here any more. I seem to irk people off. That is not my intent.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
A
A
WPG � I am starting to think you will do quite well in the end, after all. Good for you. My best wishes to you, and to your BH.

"Never forget that your pain means nothing to a WS." ~Mulan

"An ethical man knows it is wrong to cheat on his wife. A moral man will not actually do it." ~ Ducky

WS: They are who they are.

When an eel lunges out
And it bites off your snout
Thats a moray ~DS
P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by WPG
I know for a fact that I am not the same woman I was in 2009. That woman had a very particular, wayward state of mind. A particular way of looking at the world. Looking through wayward-colored lenses.

I am not the same woman I was in 2009.
So much has changed.
Some sorrowful events. Some wondrous events. Plenty of mundane days as well.
Not to mention some terror-filled experiences.
This is life, WPG. You changed your lens, that is what matters.

A lot of wisdom is painful. Much of it involves being on one or both sides of the weapon. The life lessons we better learn from FAST are the lessons where we have chosen to shoot ourselves in the foot!
The real dummies in life are the ones who shoot their right foot, hobble about on crutches until well enough to walk again, then shoot their left foot. banghead

�We forge the chains we wear in life.�

~ Charles Dickens

That is the human condition, WPG, not just you. Not just former waywards. All of us.

WPG, I see your beauty when you do not.
Trust me, it's there.

I do not think it is your best interest, or the best interest of your M, to be punished with resentment much longer. Think about what timeline you think is appropriate for the day of reckoning. Your "mountain" grows with every unloving action addressed to you.

P
OP Offline
P
WPG - quit smoking.

P
OP Offline
P
Originally Posted by WhoAreWE
Now his angry moments are fewer but somehow they hurt more and bring out my resentment more. Got to hold on to the good moments.

Look at how I changed this. (in red)

Now his angry hurting moments are fewer but somehow they hurt me more and bring out my resentment more.

Your H's hurt is expressed with anger. Not unusual. Hurt for men = frustration = anger. Men are generally "fixers" .... a BH is powerless to "fix" the past .... and when he is triggered/reminded his hurt boils over into anger and his anger hurts you.

Change your response from self-focused hurt/resentment to husband-focused compassion. You will be rewarded, I promise.

Originally Posted by You
Got to hold on to the good moments.

The difficult moments are growth opportunities. The good moments are breaths between challenges.

It's all a matter of attitude adjustment.
I recently had my attitude challenged. Not with adultery, but by serious health problems. I had a choice. I could choose my attitude, but not my disease. My surgeon told me that my attitude would impact my outcome.
Paying it forward.

Last edited by Pepperband; 07/24/12 12:12 PM. Reason: complete thought
C
C
As allways peps advice and comments are something to reflect upon and respect

Like listening to a professor at college, or a teacher at a lecture, such words of wisdom are lost in the online community, where they are not allways given the respect of reflection as we are forced to and expected to in that type of teaching environment

" A word in season" Pep..

I also remember from the reflection on the Charles Dickens quote about the chains we forge, another philosophy shared by Greek scholars about thier God Pan

Pan was blamed for our human weaknesses and transferred into Satan in the Christian belief system, blaming Pan for all of our problems and claiming he had chains attached to us. Like " The devil made me do it"

When in truth we as humans chain ourselves willingly to these things, lust, rebellion, and resentment.

Great words Pep

Me 56 Former BS
Widowed 5-17-09 --married 25 years.
4 children
DS-35 previous marriage--18-22 DGrandSons 6 and 4
Me former BS
DD-29 with DGDs 5 and 1yr
DSs 26 and 23
Teilhard de Chardin..“We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.” ...Sounds about right to me.
P
OP Offline
P
Thank you CP.
That was nice to read.

H
H
Sometimes I suck at being eloquent;

You can ether drag all those chains behind you on the ground, writhing with every step... OR you can pick them up, and carry them forward with you.

"An expert is a person who has made all the mistakes that can be made in a very narrow field." - Niels Bohr

"Smart people believe weird things because they are skilled at defending beliefs they arrived at for non-smart reasons." - Michael Shermer

"Fair speech may hide a foul heart." - Samwise Gamgee LOTR
B
B
Originally Posted by 20YearHistory
...even when just compensation and commitment to rebuild with MB has been established.

This is a VERY relevant thread; I just finished reading it.

I definitely fall into the "resentful and depressed" category.

I struggle most with the concept of "just compensation."

From Dr. Harley (the "Can't We Just Forgive and Forget" article):

"Your husband should guarantee that he will never have another affair, and learn how to meet your important emotional needs, as you should learn to meet his. I'd say that's just compensation, wouldn't you?"

No. My husband doing what he should have been doing all along, ESPECIALLY not having another affair, does not feel like just compensation to me.

And I have no idea what WOULD feel like just compensation.

However, I think if I could feel compensated, I could move forward.

BV

Me - WW/BW - 49
Him - CGIR - WH/BH 49
Married 27 years, together 33 (HS sweethearts)
No kids
DDay #1 - 1989 EA co-worker
DDay #2 - 2004 internet porn
DDay #3 - July 2006 EA different co-worker
DDay #4 - Aug. 2006 EA with OW #2 was actually a PA
DDay #5 - Sept. 2010 False recovery - H dishonest about both affairs and porn usage
DDay# 6 - Sept. 26, 2010 - Full disclosure - 1989 EA was actually a PA and lasted one year. 2006 PA more extensive than originally thought. 1992 ONS with prostitute.
P
OP Offline
P
Six D-days.
Oh.
I cannot fathom.
Your H certainly screwed up royally.
You feel robbed by the man who was supposed to love & protect you.
I'm so sorry

B
B
Originally Posted by ConstantProcess
As allways peps advice and comments are something to reflect upon and respect

Like listening to a professor at college, or a teacher at a lecture, such words of wisdom are lost in the online community, where they are not allways given the respect of reflection as we are forced to and expected to in that type of teaching environment

" A word in season" Pep..

I also remember from the reflection on the Charles Dickens quote about the chains we forge, another philosophy shared by Greek scholars about thier God Pan

Pan was blamed for our human weaknesses and transferred into Satan in the Christian belief system, blaming Pan for all of our problems and claiming he had chains attached to us. Like " The devil made me do it"

When in truth we as humans chain ourselves willingly to these things, lust, rebellion, and resentment.

Great words Pep

Like!

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

Page 7 of 13 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 12 13

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 697 guests, and 62 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation