Genesis 35:1-3 (NLT)
1 God said to Jacob, "Now move on to Bethel and settle there. Build an altar there to worship me--the God who appeared to you when you fled from your brother, Esau."
2 So Jacob told everyone in his household, "Destroy your idols, wash yourselves, and put on clean clothing. 3 We are now going to Bethel, where I will build an altar to the God who answered my prayers when I was in distress. He has stayed with me wherever I have gone."

God was moving Jacob, because his sons Levi and Simeon had killed all the men of the nearby town in revenge of their sister who had been raped by Shechem who lived in the town. God told Jacob to move back to Bethel where Jacob had committed himself to God. Jacob ordered everyone to clean out their idols and cleanse themselves to prepare for the journey. Jacob knew God was with him wherever he went and he knew God was moving him because of his concerns for his son’s actions.

At this point in his life Jacob was confident God was with him wherever he had gone. God had blessed him with a family and possessions. And now Jacob was ready to follow God again without question. Jacob had matured in his belief of God. For when Jacob first met God at Bethel, “Then Jacob made this vow: "If God will be with me and protect me on this journey and give me food and clothing, and if he will bring me back safely to my father, then I will make the LORD my God.” Jacob had a lot of conditions about forming a relationship with God. Jacob wanted protection, he wanted clothing and food, and he wanted to return safely to his father. Without these conditions being met Jacob wasn’t sure if he was going to accept God. But God proved to Jacob to be faithful even though Jacob lacked in faith. There is a hymn that says, “Trust and obey, for there is no other way, but to be happy in Jesus, but to trust and obey.” How many of us have sang that song and then went on not realizing the truth in those words. Some who have just started growing in their faith think it takes a spiritual experience to learn happiness. But happiness comes from trusting in God. Proverbs 11:23 says, “The godly can look forward to happiness, while the wicked can expect only wrath.” Are you trusting and obeying God? Do you look forward to the happiness He brings? Pray your faith will be strengthened. Ask God to let the happiness into your life that comes from obedience to Him. Be ready always to trust and obey when God calls.