Genesis 3:6-10 (NLT)
6 The woman was convinced. She saw that the tree was beautiful and its fruit looked delicious, and she wanted the wisdom it would give her. So she took some of the fruit and ate it. Then she gave some to her husband, who was with her, and he ate it, too. 7 At that moment their eyes were opened, and they suddenly felt shame at their nakedness. So they sewed fig leaves together to cover themselves. 8 When the cool evening breezes were blowing, the man and his wife heard the Lord God walking about in the garden. So they hid from the Lord God among the trees. 9 Then the Lord God called to the man, “Where are you?” 10 He replied, “I heard you walking in the garden, so I hid. I was afraid because I was naked.”

These verses recount the fall of man to sin. The same desire that caused Satan to fall from God’s grace caused the fall of man; it was a desire to be like God. Adam also participated with Eve; and as sin entered into their lives they felt shame. They were exposed and vulnerable to the damage sin wrought. They tried to hide from God the things they had done, but God was there calling them unto Him. Shame caused Adam and Eve to hide their sin from God.

Steps of transgression lead us away from God. First one turns their eyes toward the temptation looking upon it with pleasure. The sin seems pleasing and desirable. Like Job, Eve should have made a covenant with her eyes not to look upon sin. The second step of sin is to take hold of it. The temptation may be present, but nothing is there forcing the sin to take place. Satan did not place the fruit in Eve’s hand, nor did he force it towards her mouth. After taking hold of the sin, the third step is when the person takes the sin into their life. There may have been no intent on Eve’s part to sin when she looked at the fruit, nor when she went to take hold of it; but she did eat and that is where sin entered. But sin does not end there, it propagates itself to others. Sin is like water poured out on the ground and a person trying to say “stop here and come no further”; it continues to move forward. So the fourth step of sin was Eve involving her husband. Eve shared Satan’s temptation with Adam and even added to the temptation by her admission of eating the fruit, giving it to him and encouraging him to eat. You have to wonder if Eve wanted Adam to share in her misery of sin; for this was a great unkind act. The last step of sin is leaving the person with shame where they want to hide from God. Instead of turning to God for help, Adam and Eve hid hoping their sin would not be exposed. Shame and fear entered the world with sin and is still present with us today. Pray your eyes would be turned from the temptations of the world. Make a covenant before God you would move from the temptations that are easily available. And when you do sin, pray God would forgive you and restore you to fellowship with Him.