Hebrews 12:1-2 (NLT)
1 Therefore, since we are surrounded by such a huge crowd of witnesses to the life of faith, let us strip off every weight that slows us down, especially the sin that so easily trips us up. And let us run with endurance the race God has set before us. 2 We do this by keeping our eyes on Jesus, the champion who initiates and perfects our faith. Because of the joy awaiting him, he endured the cross, disregarding its shame. Now he is seated in the place of honor beside God’s throne.

Here the apostle tells the Hebrews there are many people who are always watching their every action. They are told they must prepare to face the race that is before them by putting aside the sins, which can so easily burden a person. Then they are to live as if in a race keeping their eyes focused on Jesus who has already so perfectly lived by faith.

Many years ago I was in a car accident. As I was traveling down the road to my home I saw a lady with 2 small kids in her car starting to pull out to the road from the convenience store where she had just stopped. She was looking at her children in the back seat as she moved out onto the road. I started slamming on brakes hoping to avoid the car. I could tell the woman was still focused on her children in the backseat. I kept thinking if she will just look my direction and put on her brakes I can swerve around her, but she never looked my way. The accident was unavoidable. Had she only kept her eyes focused ahead where they should have been, an accident could have been avoided. Like the story of the accident if we keep our eyes on Jesus we can avoid many sins. We can then see clearly where we are headed and avoid the dangers lying in front of us. Pray and ask that your focus will always be toward the Lord and away from sin. Pray for His strength and guidance.