Numbers 16:42-46 (NLT)
42 As the community gathered to protest against Moses and Aaron, they turned toward the Tabernacle and saw that the cloud had covered it, and the glorious presence of the Lord appeared. 43 Moses and Aaron came and stood in front of the Tabernacle, 44 and the Lord said to Moses, 45 “Get away from all these people so that I can instantly destroy them!” But Moses and Aaron fell face down on the ground. 46 And Moses said to Aaron, “Quick, take an incense burner and place burning coals on it from the altar. Lay incense on it, and carry it out among the people to purify them and make them right with the Lord. The Lord’s anger is blazing against them—the plague has already begun.”

Korah, a son of a Levite, one of the priesthood, conspired with Dathan, Abriam and On. They incited a rebellion against Moses and led 250 other prominent men to oppose and challenge Moses’ authority. Moses told them it was not him they were rebelling against, but God. He asked Korah if it was insignificant Korah had been chosen to serve the Lord. But Korah and the others continued to challenge Moses and refused to move forward with him. God moved against these men and the ground swallowed them. Now others started protesting against Moses even after seeing God’s punishment and God’s presence around the Tabernacle. As a result people started to die from a plague. Moses prayed for them and sent Aaron to purify them, but 14,700 still died.

Romans 12:20-21 says, “Therefore if thine enemy hunger, feed him; if he thirst, give him drink: for in so doing thou shalt heap coals of fire on his head. Be not overcome of evil, but overcome evil with good.” The world sometimes can be a hopeless place. The first time turning on the news in a large metropolitan city many people will be confronted with robbery, murders and many other heinous crimes. Most Christians know they cannot overcome evil alone, but instead must humbly trust in God and Christ. It is God who can take evil and turn it into something good. Joseph understood that as he said the following to his brothers who had sold him into slavery; “You intended to harm me, but God intended it all for good. He brought me to this position so I could save the lives of many people.” God is able to change lives and circumstances and bring good out of something started as evil. Therefore we must submit ourselves to the Lord. We must be willing as Moses did to fall before God and pray for those who might attack us. Our actions need to agree with our prayers in that we would reach out to extend God’s grace to those who have hurt us. Pray God would give you a spirit of mercy that you could reach out in grace as God has reached out to us.