Psalm 119:116-118 (NLT)
116 Lord, sustain me as you promised, that I may live! Do not let my hope be crushed. 117 Sustain me, and I will be rescued; then I will meditate continually on your decrees. 118 But you have rejected all who stray from your decrees.They are only fooling themselves.

King David prays for the sustaining grace that is sufficient to carry him through life. David is at a turning point in life where he needs the comfort of the Lord. He looks to God to keep Him from failing and to keep him from tiring against the evil which wants to crush his spirit. He pleads for God’s intercession in his life that God will fill him with what he needs to survive. Then he acknowledges that those who fall away from God to other hopes are only fooling themselves.

What is it in life that you have placed your hope in? In other words, where do you run when times get tough and you feel there is no hope just as David felt? Many find their comfort in the pleasures of the world. They think if I could just have this one thing it would bring happiness into my life. I remember my daughter saying, I would be happy if I could just have a dog. Well she has a dog, but happiness did not come with it. There are others who think if I could be successful in my job and obtain all the things I want; then life would be good. But what those people find at the end of life’s journet is they have given up time with family, lost time with friends and have ignored the Lord. Some seek out other ways to sustain their lives when hope seems to be lost. They turn to drugs, alcohol or other pleasures of this world. As David’s son King Solomon noted everything is vanity and does not satisfy what we are was looking for. He said in Ecclesiastes, “I, the Teacher, was king of Israel, and I lived in Jerusalem. I devoted myself to search for understanding and to explore by wisdom everything being done under heaven. I soon discovered that God has dealt a tragic existence to the human race. I observed everything going on under the sun, and really, it is all meaningless—like chasing the wind. What is wrong cannot be made right. What is missing cannot be recovered.” There is only one secure place for your hope in life and that is in God. So as you look for things to fill the voids in your life remember God who can fill all your needs. And remember that the heavenly Father to whom you pray has no favorites. He will judge or reward you according to what you do. So you must live in reverent fear of him during your time as “foreigners in the land.” For you know that God paid a ransom to save you from the empty life you inherited from your ancestors. And the ransom he paid was not mere gold or silver. It was the precious blood of Christ, the sinless, spotless Lamb of God.