1 Samuel 23:13-18 (NLT)
13 So David and his men—about 600 of them now—left Keilah and began roaming the countryside. Word soon reached Saul that David had escaped, so he didn’t go to Keilah after all. 14 David now stayed in the strongholds of the wilderness and in the hill country of Ziph. Saul hunted him day after day, but God didn’t let Saul find him. 15 One day near Horesh, David received the news that Saul was on the way to Ziph to search for him and kill him. 16 Jonathan went to find David and encouraged him to stay strong in his faith in God. 17 “Don’t be afraid,” Jonathan reassured him. “My father will never find you! You are going to be the king of Israel, and I will be next to you, as my father, Saul, is well aware.” 18 So the two of them renewed their solemn pact before the Lord. Then Jonathan returned home, while David stayed at Horesh.

David has been on the run from King Saul who was seeking to kill him. David had been in the area of Keilah with his men defending them against the Philistines. Saul was still on the search for David, so Saul’s son who was a friend of David’s came to warn David and encourage him to stay strong in his faith in God.

Around the holidays it seems some people go through difficult times. It is during this time people reflect on the past; remembering lost loves ones; failed relationships; or economic problems. I want to encourage each and everyone as Jonathan did to stay strong in your faith in God. For Jonathan it was such an important message to deliver to David he risked his relationship with his father in order to maintain his relationship with his friend David and God. In Ephesians Paul said, “Finally, my brethren, be strong in the Lord, and in the power of his might.” In second Timothy he said, “be strong in the grace that is in Christ Jesus.” So my friends I encourage you to also be strong in the love, grace and mercy of Jesus Christ. When sadness comes, remember God can bring joy. When times are desperate, God provides hope. When you are anxious, cast your worries upon Jesus. When friends fail and family disappoints, remember God will never let you down. When you are lonely, remember Jesus lives within you. When you are afraid, don’t forget Jesus holds your soul securely in His hands. My friends stay strong in the Lord for He will see you through any difficulty. May God bless each and everyone keeping you safe and secure.