Ecclesiastes 12:12-14 (NLT)
12 But, my child, let me give you some further advice: Be careful, for writing books is endless, and much study wears you out. 13 That’s the whole story. Here now is my final conclusion: Fear God and obey his commands, for this is everyone’s duty. 14 God will judge us for everything we do, including every secret thing, whether good or bad.

These are the concluding words of King Solomon in Ecclesiastes as he pondered life, its meaning and its purpose. He sums up by saying there is a lot that can be done in life, but we should have fearful respect for God; obeying what God commands. One day every secret, good or bad, will be revealed when God’s judgment is pronounced.

In 2 Timothy 4, the Apostle Paul gives us these words, “I solemnly urge you in the presence of God and Christ Jesus, who will someday judge the living and the dead when he appears to set up his Kingdom: Preach the word of God. Be prepared, whether the time is favorable or not. Patiently correct, rebuke, and encourage your people with good teaching. For a time is coming when people will no longer listen to sound and wholesome teaching. They will follow their own desires and will look for teachers who will tell them whatever their itching ears want to hear. They will reject the truth and chase after myths. But you should keep a clear mind in every situation. Don’t be afraid of suffering for the Lord. Work at telling others the Good News, and fully carry out the ministry God has given you.” The words of Paul are just as sound today. There are those who are not listening to or obeying God. Instead they long to hear someone tell them words that are pleasing to their ears and justify their sinful actions. They want to believe in their own truths and not the truths of God. God will look at our deeds secret or otherwise and will judge us for our actions. But the Good News is that God offers grace and mercy through Jesus Christ and provides salvation for our sins. Give thanks to Christ who died that we might be free from the penalty that sin brings.