Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 69 of 88 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 87 88
M
M
This strategy from Dr. Harley is very hard to do, but it works in my marriage. It usually takes just slightly longer than I expect/want it to take:

Originally Posted by Dr. Harley
But even though she made an abusive remark, you can end the cycle of abuse before it begins if you don't accelerate negativity (that means, matching her abuse with abuse of your own). What you should do is ignore the abuse on her side, and in your own mind re-translate what she said to be "I would prefer it if you would dry the dishes this way, instead of the way you are drying them."

http://www.marriagebuilders.com/graphic/mbi5067b_qa.html

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

Married to my radiant trophy wife, Prisca, 19 years. Father of 8.
Attended Marriage Builders weekend in May 2010

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
M
M
On the radio in 2010, Dr. Harley actually said that wives have more of a problem being disrespectful than husbands do! laugh But if you can keep your head, keep your cool, you have a great potential to turn it around.

If you are serious about saving your marriage, you can't get it all on this forum. You've got to listen to the Marriage Builders Radio show, every day. Install the app!

If your wife is not on board with MB, some of my posts to other men might help you.
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by markos
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972
Btw we did have a fight tonight. It started the same way with all of them. She DJ'd me and I reacted too harshly.

One of these days she is going to be disrespectful, and you are going to react gently and calmly, and she is going to be amazed and take notice that something has changed.

Agreed.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
I like what Marcos has to say. Often I can diffuse a situation by calmly stating that I knew she is upset, I'm sorry for x action I did to upset her and I'd love to talk about it but that is appreciate if she didn't snap at me.

Or word it goes you want. The key for me is acknowledge she is upset, own up to my part, and then calmly state my own boundaries

Yes and I didn't do that. I felt what she accused me of was wrong and fired back.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
B
B
Btw we did have a fight tonight. It started the same way with all of them. She DJ'd me and I reacted too harshly.

One of these days she is going to be disrespectful, and you are going to react gently and calmly, and she is going to be amazed and take notice that something has changed.

Agreed.
Did you get a chance to listen to the clips?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Blended Family with 7 kids between us
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

M
M
Originally Posted by BrainHurts
Did you get a chance to listen to the clips?

Yes. I posted a great one a few days ago.

P
P
We still struggle with her DJ's and what typically happens is I reach a point where I've had enough and I fire back.
Sounds like you still struggle with your own DJs.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...
What to do with an Angry Husband

P
P
Btw we did have a fight tonight. It started the same way with all of them. She DJ'd me and I reacted too harshly. We were equally to blame. I apologized.
Apologies are meaningless when the same thing keeps happening over and over again.

Apologize by never doing it again.

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Prisca
We still struggle with her DJ's and what typically happens is I reach a point where I've had enough and I fire back.
Sounds like you still struggle with your own DJs.

Yep sure do and I find it incredibly difficult not to react to a DJ with a DJ.

Handyman is gonna be here in 30 mins for the first week. I hired him 3 hours a week to do misc things around the house/yard. That is a problem, I found a solution, hopefully that will make some significant deposits. Laundry service hasn't gone over as well. I've offered but she might feel it to be invasive to have someone else doing our family's laundry, not really sure so I won't push it.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
B
B
Have you listened to the clips?

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both
Too much hurt and pain on both sides that my brain hurts just thinking about it all.

P
P
Yep sure do and I find it incredibly difficult not to react to a DJ with a DJ.
Who doesn't? smile

What are you going to do about it?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

R
OP Offline
R

Dude, no I haven't. I have a stress fracture from training for a race and have spent too much time dealing with business and family. I really do want to listen to them forever and I thank you for being consistent with me. I don't know who you are and i suppose I've been a little unfair giving you your due in trying to help me and I apologize for that.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
B
B

Dude, no I haven't. I have a stress fracture from training for a race and have spent too much time dealing with business and family. I really do want to listen to them forever and I thank you for being consistent with me. I don't know who you are and i suppose I've been a little unfair giving you your due in trying to help me and I apologize for that.
Ok hope you get better.

I know the radio program teaches me so much about MB because you hear Dr. H in his own words.

Just to let you know I'm a dudette. laugh

FWW/BW (me)
WH
2nd M for both

R
OP Offline
R
Geez I need to regroup and visit daily here and stop the patterns. My wife appears to be content with a marriage just the way it is. Either that or she is simply not in love with me and therefore I don't get from her what I need. I get tired of putting in the effort like this morning, got frustrated, and was disrespectful to my wife. I apologized, but like Prisca said, I have to end the behavior that prevents her from being in love with me and us having a great marriage. I don't have a willing participant of MB to work with so that means I'll have to do the heavy lifting until she reaches a point where she does fall back in love with me. I'm gonna go read the basic concepts and develop a plan because I'm not ok with a marriage without love and care.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
R
OP Offline
R
Problem: I ruin the opportunity for my wife's LB to cross the threshold of love by DJs.

Solution: Eliminate the DJs, AO's, etc.

Plan: Take it one conversation at a time. Come here to the forum and start a new thread which is a NO DJ Roll Call. Today is my Day 1.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
M
M
Geez I need to regroup and visit daily here and stop the patterns. My wife appears to be content with a marriage just the way it is. Either that or she is simply not in love with me and therefore I don't get from her what I need. I get tired of putting in the effort like this morning, got frustrated, and was disrespectful to my wife. I apologized, but like Prisca said, I have to end the behavior that prevents her from being in love with me and us having a great marriage. I don't have a willing participant of MB to work with so that means I'll have to do the heavy lifting until she reaches a point where she does fall back in love with me. I'm gonna go read the basic concepts and develop a plan because I'm not ok with a marriage without love and care.

Yay, yay, yay!

weightlifter <-- Hilltopper

hurray

M
M
I like your plan, and the analytical approach you are taking.

It's got great promise.

R
OP Offline
R

It's got great promise.

Thanks. Why work so hard at trying to get my wife to love me and then ruin it with a 60 second attack. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
P
P

It's got great promise.

Thanks. Why work so hard at trying to get my wife to love me and then ruin it with a 60 second attack. Pretty stupid if you ask me.

You got it, Hilltopper.
Have you heard Dr. Harley talk about relaxation exercises?

Markos' Wife
FWW - EA
8 kids ...

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Prisca

It's got great promise.

You got it, Hilltopper.
Have you heard Dr. Harley talk about relaxation exercises?

Yes I have. When I say attack I don't mean AO, I mean something disrespectful in a stupid attempt to get what I want. This particular one referred to her as "a drag to be around" when referring to her getting stressed about the kids and house. Yeah I know I was a real jerk. I'll see if I can relax myself next time I'm feeling neglected.

Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Page 69 of 88 1 2 67 68 69 70 71 87 88

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 975 guests, and 53 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Zorya, Reyna98, Nofoguy, Ingrid Guerci, Wifey02
71,826 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation