Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 86 of 88 1 2 84 85 86 87 88
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
Hill! ... Buddy!

Hows it going today? Hopefully a much better day for you! Hopefully you get or got a chance to go read the be a man thread. Especially page 2 .. its a hilarious read and a great eye opener.

No DJ's today? Hows your wife doing? Hows the kids doing?

MNG

None today or yesterday. Wife doing great as are kids. We decided on Mon and Thu nights at the gym together.


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Offline
Member
M
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972
You are right and it won't work if we watch tv or do something that doesn't meet the 4 most important emotional needs. I got my wife to agree to go to gym for a couple of spin classes during the week. We can stretch those sessions out to 2 hours if we stretch and do some other workouts. At night time I need to change the habits of tv watching and replace it in part with something that engages my wife. This will be no easy task I assure you.

HT, you clearly need a different approach. You are doing a little fiddling around the edges when it will take ripping the weed up by the roots and making a major change. You and your wife are in the habit of neglecting your marriage and you will have no results until you make radical changes. Half measures have availed you nothing in the past and they will avail you nothing in the future.

What is will take is selling your wife on the notion of sitting down with you once a week and scheduling out 20+ hours of REAL UA time. I don't mean counting couch potato time or passing in the hallway on your way to work. But actually hiring babysitters 4 times a week, dressing up and going out.

That is what will make a difference. And you are not able to sell her on that, so my suggestion is that you employ Steve Harley to do this.

Stretching your sessions out to 2 hours ain't going to make any damn difference.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Offline
Member
M
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by MrNiceGuy
Hill! ... Buddy!

Hows it going today? Hopefully a much better day for you! Hopefully you get or got a chance to go read the be a man thread. Especially page 2 .. its a hilarious read and a great eye opener.

No DJ's today? Hows your wife doing? Hows the kids doing?

MNG

MNG, you know I like you, but this guy needs to focus on MArriage Builders. It is against TOS to refer other posters to non-MB resources because it a) it causes confusion and b) Dr Harley does not endorse other resources.

You and I both know you wouldn't be allowed to post that stuff on his thread so sending him to that thread is just a way to circumvent the TOS. That is disrespectful to the board owners.

I want to keep this poster focused on MArriage Builders as his marriage is in dire straits.




"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972
You are right and it won't work if we watch tv or do something that doesn't meet the 4 most important emotional needs. I got my wife to agree to go to gym for a couple of spin classes during the week. We can stretch those sessions out to 2 hours if we stretch and do some other workouts. At night time I need to change the habits of tv watching and replace it in part with something that engages my wife. This will be no easy task I assure you.

HT, you clearly need a different approach. You are doing a little fiddling around the edges when it will take ripping the weed up by the roots and making a major change. You and your wife are in the habit of neglecting your marriage and you will have no results until you make radical changes. Half measures have availed you nothing in the past and they will avail you nothing in the future.

What is will take is selling your wife on the notion of sitting down with you once a week and scheduling out 20+ hours of REAL UA time. I don't mean counting couch potato time or passing in the hallway on your way to work. But actually hiring babysitters 4 times a week, dressing up and going out.

That is what will make a difference. And you are not able to sell her on that, so my suggestion is that you employ Steve Harley to do this.

Stretching your sessions out to 2 hours ain't going to make any damn difference.

You're right this is a big waste of time. I walked through the door and my wife was out the door to the gym so fast I think I barely even saw her. I'm unhappy because I don't have a great marriage and I'm annoyed that I'm the only one here trying to do something about it, and I'm annoyed that I've been at this a year and a 1/2 and my wife still isn't into me. I really think you are underestimating the level of resentment from my wife if I contact Steve without her blessing however so I won't do that yet. What I am gonna do is handle the babysitting arrangements from here on out. There might be a slight irritation that I make babysitter arrangements without her knowing, but I'll make it like a surprise. Whatever irritation she might have will quickly be erased by being away from the children and spending time with me.


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
In fact I'd like to hire a Nanny to come each day for a total of 4 hours or so 5 days a week. This way I can get a full 8 hour work day in and not compromise our lives financially. Babysitters are great for watching kids but that is all they bring to the table, or at least the one's we hire. I want a nanny or sitter that will make the kids a sandwich if need be, do a bit of laundry, tidy up the downstairs, do some dishes, and be a special part of our family. I want my wife to not have to get up at 5am if she wants to work out, and she'll be in the morning when the kids get up so we can have breakfast and coffee together and as a family. I prefer that I come home and we take off together to run, cycle, work out, or even just go get coffee or dinner. I don't care what it costs, we'll cut other areas of our budget or I'll just work harder to bring in more business.


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Offline
Member
M
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
That sounds like a great idea! Would she be agreeable to that?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
That sounds like a great idea! Would she be agreeable to that?

I mentioned it last night and she'll consider it. It didn't come without a snicker comment, "like marriage builders honey?" She offered gratuitous sex last night and I turned it down. I literally would prefer to have none quite frankly. She got defensive about it, baited me, and I reacted again. I can't do this anymore. I can't be the only one on this path no matter how much time we spend together. I explained how serious this subject is to me because honestly I don't think she believes it is.

The truth is my wife is my first choice to have a fabulous relationship with. Second choice is to divorce and pursue love elsewhere. Third choice is what we have now. On that note, I'm sick of hearing buddies who treat their wives like complete [censored] tell me about how much sex they are having. How is it that some wives take daily abuse and sleep with their husbands regularly anyways?


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
I just filled out a request to speak with Steve. Last night spilled over into this morning and we are both on edge. She rushed out the door to the gym again to start this crazy cycle all over again. It has to change.


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,574
Likes: 1
N
Member
Offline
Member
N
Joined: Oct 2005
Posts: 9,574
Likes: 1
Quote
On that note, I'm sick of hearing buddies who treat their wives like complete [censored] tell me about how much sex they are having. How is it that some wives take daily abuse and sleep with their husbands regularly anyways?

How about choosing friends with successful marriages, so you can hear about do-able things that work to create happy families.

Sorry to hear things have degenerated. How are you doing with POJA? You sound like someone who is doing a lot of things you really don't like to do, you sound like you're feeling very justified in feeling angry right now. Are there some things you are doing that you're not enthusiastic about, that you can stop doing today?


Me 40, OD 18 and YD 13
Married 15 years, Divorced 10/2010
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,437
C
Member
Offline
Member
C
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,437
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
That sounds like a great idea! Would she be agreeable to that?

I mentioned it last night and she'll consider it. It didn't come without a snicker comment, "like marriage builders honey?" She offered gratuitous sex last night and I turned it down. I literally would prefer to have none quite frankly. She got defensive about it, baited me, and I reacted again. I can't do this anymore. I can't be the only one on this path no matter how much time we spend together. I explained how serious this subject is to me because honestly I don't think she believes it is.

What path would that be, Hill? Sounds to me like you're on a pretty ugly path, yourself.

I'm glad you're going to talk to Steve. I like him a lot, and so did my husband.


Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Offline
Member
M
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972
I just filled out a request to speak with Steve. Last night spilled over into this morning and we are both on edge. She rushed out the door to the gym again to start this crazy cycle all over again. It has to change.

I think thats a good idea. Steve can hopefully guide you out of this morass. When a situation doesn't change in 2 years, it is time to try something new.


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Originally Posted by Hilltopper1972
I just filled out a request to speak with Steve. Last night spilled over into this morning and we are both on edge. She rushed out the door to the gym again to start this crazy cycle all over again. It has to change.

I think thats a good idea. Steve can hopefully guide you out of this morass. When a situation doesn't change in 2 years, it is time to try something new.

Yep I suggested a complete overhaul of our schedule to my wife. We'll see how she responds. I contacted Steve either way, even if it is just working on my tendency to overreact. If she reacts poorly then I'll let Steve handle it. I can't imagine that spending 4 hours a day together without the kids wouldn't be life changing for us.


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
K
Member
Offline
Member
K
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
G ood idea on calling Steve. I know he's had a lot of success with reluctant spouses. Every wife is different and you can't compare your marriage to others.

My wife and I never had a lack of sex even at the worst of our relationship. It wasn't because my wife was in love with me but because she likes sex, didn't want to be unfaithful,and has never slept with more than one person at a time. Physically the sex was good but not near as fulfilling as it is now that we're in love.

My wife wasn't overly phased by DJs as most are. So we'd fight, say hurtful things, and after calming down, apologize, and for the most part it was over. So I didn't have to go weeks and months without a DJ for things to get better.

On the other hand, we had other really stressful situations that we had to deal with.


Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by NewEveryDay
Quote
On that note, I'm sick of hearing buddies who treat their wives like complete [censored] tell me about how much sex they are having. How is it that some wives take daily abuse and sleep with their husbands regularly anyways?

How about choosing friends with successful marriages, so you can hear about do-able things that work to create happy families.

Sorry to hear things have degenerated. How are you doing with POJA? You sound like someone who is doing a lot of things you really don't like to do, you sound like you're feeling very justified in feeling angry right now. Are there some things you are doing that you're not enthusiastic about, that you can stop doing today?

Yes I am feeling justified in feeling angry right now. There is no POJA because my wife has cast aside the MB program. One of three things will likely happen:

1. My wife will like my plan to get a sitter 4 hours a day and we'll live happily ever after.
2. My wife will hate my plan or dilly dally and I'll have Steve call her and do his thing so we can live happily ever after.
3. My wife will fight me and Steve and our marriage will deteriorate to the point of separation, divorce, or infidelity.

I like #1 don't you?


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by kilted_thrower
G ood idea on calling Steve. I know he's had a lot of success with reluctant spouses. Every wife is different and you can't compare your marriage to others.

My wife and I never had a lack of sex even at the worst of our relationship. It wasn't because my wife was in love with me but because she likes sex, didn't want to be unfaithful,and has never slept with more than one person at a time. Physically the sex was good but not near as fulfilling as it is now that we're in love.

My wife wasn't overly phased by DJs as most are. So we'd fight, say hurtful things, and after calming down, apologize, and for the most part it was over. So I didn't have to go weeks and months without a DJ for things to get better.

On the other hand, we had other really stressful situations that we had to deal with.

What something has to change. I poked the snail and my wife is in withdrawal again. She clammed up and said she'd respond to my email by the end of the day. Historically this means she won't respond at all. I'm glad you understand how I feel. I feel this need for perfection and that I'm chasing some fantasy that'll never materialize. I can stop the DJ's all I want and intend to do so, but if we don't spend enough time together nothing will truly change.

I apologized to my wife for blowing up and told her that I'm so incredibly frustrated that something dramatic has to change. I laid out the sitter 4 hours per day idea and we have a candidate which is a previous sitter that is home for the summer. I'm sad because my wife saw the man she saw last year last night and this morning. I have a tremendous issue controlling my emotions so I'm gonna try and do some relaxation drills and chill out and use my brain before any further damage occurs.


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
K
Member
Offline
Member
K
Joined: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,704
It's tough, Hill. I felt the way you feel more at one point. I remember being at the point where I was packing my stuff to move out and that my wife and I were divorcing. Marriage builders saved our marriage. Luckily my wife was on board with anything that would give us a great marriage. Do keep in mind that it will take a lot of work in the beginning of you do get your wife on board. It ain't easy but it's worth it.

And you have every right to tell your wife you don't want her seeing that guy


Husband (me) 39
Wife 36
Daughter 21
Daughter 19
Son 14
Daughter 10
Son 8 (autistic)

Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Offline
Member
M
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Hilltopper, what man??


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
R
Member
OP Offline
Member
R
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 740
Originally Posted by MelodyLane
Hilltopper, what man??

This is a personal trainer that she used with a group of friends several years ago. She trained with him the other day and I think I read into it a bit much. It turned out that she went to hug him because she hadn't seen him in a long time at his gym and he refused the hug because apparently during Ramadan muslims can't touch a woman of the opposite sex? The internet history was her researching that law out of curiosity. There is nothing there and next time we'll both go to see him after we hire the sitter!


Married 15 years
12 y/o DD
10 y/o DS
6 y/o DD
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,437
C
Member
Offline
Member
C
Joined: Oct 2008
Posts: 5,437
The trainer, Mel.

How did she end up back with this trainer?


Marriage is the triumph of imagination over intelligence. Second marriage is the triumph of hope over experience.
(Oscar Wilde)
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
M
Member
Offline
Member
M
Joined: Apr 2001
Posts: 92,985
Likes: 1
Ok, then why did you say you were upset about this?

Also, I would try and find activities where you can meet each others emotional needs. You should be meeting the 4 intimate ENs. What kind of activities can you think of that you both enjoy?


"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.." Theodore Roosevelt

Exposure 101


Page 86 of 88 1 2 84 85 86 87 88

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 105 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Rjack, russelltonya, arielwilson, Debby Woman, Comfortable Shoe
71,850 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 2024, Marriage Builders, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation
Powered by UBB.threads™ PHP Forum Software 7.7.5