Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
S
SEM Offline OP
OP Offline
S
I was watching The Other Side today and saw a woman had suited her husbands OW (who was his secretary) and won a judgment for $1 million for breaking up their marriage.<p>Have any of you heard of this happening, or thought about it. If more of this type of law suit would happen, perhaps people would be more hesitant to get involved with a married person.<p>Any thoughts?

L
L
This winter South Dakota updated the Alienation of Affection law, which had been applicable only to Male BS suing the OM, and now is for female BS as well. For certain one case has been won by a male WS.<p>It's difficult for an OP to say they aren't doing anything "wrong" when they can be sued for their actions.

A
A
I know it's allowable in some states but not mine. Can't get blood out of a turnip anyway...

A
A
That lawsuit was in NC where alienation of affection laws still exist. Most states don't have them anymore. I think you have to be able to prove that the marriage was solid before the OP came on the scene. I think several people have been successful w/their suits in the last few years in NC.

J
J
Aleination of affection has been removed from the books in many states - some are trying to get it back.<p>I am in the process of suing on two grounds - Intentional infliction of emotional harm and Malpractice.<p>JC

K
K
There are two such laws... Alienation of Affection, and Criminal Conversation that I know of. There are only about 3-5 states that still have them on the books though. You can find more about them through the standard internet search engines.<p>K

F
F
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>If more of this type of law suit would happen, perhaps people would be more hesitant to get involved with a married person. <hr></blockquote><p>True. I agree it would probably help. Sad though, that it takes things like lawsuits to make people think twice about doing something like that. Like there aren't enough reasons sitting on people's consciences when contemplating moving forward in an A. (morals, breaking up a family, OC pregnancies, STD's, breaking vows, breaking commandments, being impeached [img]images/icons/tongue.gif" border="0[/img] - yeah. right.)<p>Good to see you around, SEM!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]<p>[ May 21, 2002: Message edited by: Faith1 ]</p>

A
A
I sure wish the law was on the books in NJ!<p>JohnC-<p>Just out of curiousity, what exactly is "intentional infliction of emotional harm?"

C
C
Yep... in North Carolina we have the "Alienation of Affection" law. The BW won a million dollar lawsuit from the OW. <p>Hurry though... it may be abolished soon.

C
C
Isn't it sad that it would take *money* to deter someone from having an affair with a MP? Whatever happened to good ole morals?

S
SEM Offline OP
OP Offline
S
<blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><hr>Originally posted by Clearview:
<strong>Isn't it sad that it would take *money* to deter someone from having an affair with a MP? Whatever happened to good ole morals?</strong><hr></blockquote><p>
I agree, but if you look in the history of the laws in this country, it used to be a criminal affense to commit adultry. And, when those laws were in use, the morals of this country were much higher than todays standards. <p>I know in Colorado they left the definition of the adultry law in the books but took out the penalty so therefore it is no longer a law but just a recomendation.<p>I wasn't realy looking for information on these laws as much as I thought it was a good conversation peice. Just looking for thoughts on the subject or stories. When I first learned of the As I was so angry I thought perhaps I should suit my Ws workplace because her supervisor had an A with her including 3 other employees, but after time those urges went away, besides I doubt I would have anything to suit for [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img] .

N
N
The law against adultery is still on the books in my state, and there is still a penalty. It just is not enforced. Then again, the current governor's H left off at least one marriage when he filled out the marriage certificate. The governor admits that she knew about the perjury - and no one has filed charges against them either.

T
T
Now there's something that president 'Dubya' could try to push to Congress.<p>And it's about time too because how much time, love and MONEY have we invested in our marriages only to have some OP at a time when a S is vulnerable take advantage of s/he and helps destroy the marriage? And how about the MONEY that is spent on divorce because a WS has fallen head over heals over OP?<p>Sure it won't stop all OP from having A's (just look at our tough drug laws and how people are still using drugs) but it sends a clear message to everybody that the institution of marriage will be protected by laws aimed at punishing marital predators.<p>Joe

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 346 guests, and 60 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation