Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
N
nikko Offline OP
OP Offline
N
i have been taking zoloft since mid december. i have no real side effects and no problem taking it- my question is this...how do you know when it is time to get off them?? i know this is a simple question, simple as in kind of stupid, but i really dont know. i have an appt. with family physician in a few weeks and he has wanted to wean me for awhile, he also wanted to know why i was staying with husband after what he did-i know, thank god he is not a therapist!!! im afraid to ask him because he really is clueless about infidelity and its effects. was actually shocked that i seemed to have post traumatic stress from the affair. so i am asking you all that have been here-how do you know when you are ready???<p>thanks-have to go to work-i will check back this afternoon. good day all!!

C
C
Hi,<p>I would not go off them until every thing in your life is better. Maybe you should find a new Dr.
My Dr did not think being on zoloft long term was a problem. He thought better to be on it than depressed and that it helps alot with PMS!!<p>i heard Dr. Harley once say you are much smarter on anti depressants when living in a crisis.<p>good luck
cQ

F
F
nikko,
Look at where you are in your marriage. And in your emotional stability. Be careful not to wean off them too soon. If you feel like you can handle the roller coaster without the zoloft, then wean off it under the advice of your Dr. But it wouldn't hurt to continue a little longer.<p>After my D, I gave myself some time to level off emotionally. Once I felt comfortable moving forward with life, and felt that the worst of the roller coaster was over, I decided to stop the zoloft. After I weaned off, I really thought I was doing great. But now I am realizing that I feel and react to everything a whole lot more, so I'm going to check into getting back on for a mild dosage. But that's just me. I'm really surprised at the difference it makes in my level of anxiety and moods. <p>So, check the state of your marriage, and your emnotional strength. You may decide to stay on a little longer to help you control the LB's, as well as the high's and low's of the elephant hunting. You are still pretty early in your recovery.<p>Just my 2 cents....

H
hg Offline
H
nikko:<p>I went off paxil about 4 weeks ago. I was scared to death but sick of the "drugged" feeling it gave me. I went off real slow, 20 mg for several weeks, 10 mg for several weeks, 5 mg for several weeks, and then none. <p>I didn't miss a beat. Personally, going off made me feel better about myself and was quite uplifting. I also replaced it with a discliplined exercise regimen. <p>If you believe in yourself now, just do it. <p>hg

B
B
Hi Nikko,<p>Only YOU really know when you are ready. I've been on Effexor since November. I recently had my annual check up with my doctor and asked her the same question. She recommended staying on them at least until I feel that my H and I have gotten over our marital crisis (which we aren't). She also gave me the guidance that I may need to be on them for the rest of my life, given the history of bipolar disorder in my family. Only I, with her guidance and support can really gauge how I am feeling and whether or not I need anti-d's. I wish I would have started on them sooner. Do you have the option of a different doctor or a second opinion, perhaps from a psychiatrist?

N
nikko Offline OP
OP Offline
N
i really like this doctor-in everyother area he is on the money. he is, fortunately for him, not aquainted with the emotions of affairs and the aftermath. i am getting him a copy of saa and hnhn. in all other areas he is a very good physician.<p>as far as going off-i do NOT believe i am ready-i just dont know what to look for for ready?? does that make sense?? HOW DO YOU KNOW OTHER THAN YOUR LIFE BEING OK?? OR YOUR RECOVERY BEING OK?? if i have to wait for that i should buy stock in the company!lol

C
C
If you don't think you're ready, you aren't ready. Tell the doc that you don't think you're ready.<p>Are you in counseling?

N
nikko Offline OP
OP Offline
N
my counseling for right now is you guys and reading material. im waiting to get the money to talk to the harley's. <p>the counseling in my area is horrible-so all i can do for now is help myself and wait.

M
M
Just my two cents for what it is worth. I am on Paxil to control my OCD etc and also to help me deal with my situation. Personally, I know that the biggest mistake I could do would be to stop taking the meds because I feel FINE and could deal with it. The meds are working now and nicely. After talking with Drs. and reading a great deal and talking with many people about this. I am staying on the meds so that I don't revert back to where I was. I don't want to go there again.<p>You have to do what is right for you though. My only suggestion is to use caution.<p>Mr. Florida [img]images/icons/smile.gif" border="0[/img]

N
nikko Offline OP
OP Offline
N
thank florida for the reply-i understand how you feel, but i still have the same question-how do you know. it seems as if when all seems well-and you seem strong in your marriage again and yourself you wean off. i cant get any other difinitive answers. im not saying im ready now-i just wanted to know if there was sign you are ready??

M
M
The measure for me was when I knew I could handle things if they went pear shaped again.<p>My marriage ain't fixed although her affair is over. If another affair started, I could handle it - without drugs.<p>I feel better within myself for not being on them. At the same time, it would have been a disaster for me to come off them too soon.<p>If you don't feel anything that tells you it is time to come off them, then stay on them. Simple!

N
nikko Offline OP
OP Offline
N
could you explain to me what you mean by if i dont feel anything telling me to come off them-what am i supposed to feel??

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 672 guests, and 49 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Bibbyryan860, Ian T, SadNewYorker, Jay Handlooms, GrenHeil
71,838 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation