Welcome to the
Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum

This is a community where people come in search of marriage related support, answers, or encouragement. Also, information about the Marriage Builders principles can be found in the books available for sale in the Marriage Builders® Bookstore.
If you would like to join our guidance forum, please read the Announcement Forum for instructions, rules, & guidelines.
The members of this community are peers and not professionals. Professional coaching is available by clicking on the link titled Coaching Center at the top of this page.
We trust that you will find the Marriage Builders® Discussion Forum to be a helpful resource for you. We look forward to your participation.
Once you have reviewed all the FAQ, tech support and announcement information, if you still have problems that are not addressed, please e-mail the administrators at mbrestored@gmail.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1142610 06/02/04 03:42 PM
OP Offline
I need some help with my wife's approaching menopause. She is 41 and seems to be experiencing some effects. I need to know if what I'm about to describe could be due to menopause, and if so, how I can best deal with it. I will state that I have some problems in providing for her needs. Here goes.
-She is often hot (this is an obvious one).
-She has very sudden and extreme mood swings. She will go from civil to me to treating me like something she stepped in very quickly, almost like a light switch. When she is bad, there is even some shades of paranoia.
-She has (and may still be) had/having an affair with a much yonger guy. This is very difficult, and I handeled it badly (didn't find this board in time!).
-When I mention her behavior toward me and the rapid changes, she just says that "I guess I'm crazy". She dosen't say this in a joking way, but in a somewhat scary way.
-She has done some kind of mean things to me like tampering with my alarm clock so that I'll over sleep, or wake at 5 am, etc.

Can these things be due (or made worse) by menopause?
I am operating on this concept. I look at her as my best friend that is going through a tough time and needs my support. I control my frustration as best I can; I remember that it's not her but the hormones talking.

Am I a chump here?

Any advice will be most appriciated.

D
D
I think that menopause is a contributing factor in my situation. Also, see the Mid life crisis thread, I just bumped it up for you.

K
K
41 is quite young to be approaching menopause but I know it can happen from 40 on.

I am the big 50 this month and have no symptons of menopause whatsoever but everyone blames "my age" whenever I do anything. My family and friends all think it was "my age" that caused me to have an A.

I think it's the A that's causing her behaviour. Whether its still going on or whether it's not, it or its after effects will be affecting her attitude towards you.

I can only suggest you keep following the principles here. It's been my life and marriage saver.

Jenny

P
P
In the USA...

15% women go through menopause with virtually NO symptoms.

75% women go through menopause with some moderate to severe fluxuating symptoms.

15% women can experience incapacitating symptoms. Some need hospitalization.

You cannot make a diagnosis yourself. Tell your wife YOU would like to have a complete physical. Schedule an appointment for both of you to go. Talk to her doctor before he/she sees your W. Ask him/her to evaluate your W's recent personality changes. Give examples of what W's done that worries you.

Get her to a professional.

You cannot Plan A anyone who is experiencing mental status changes.

I'd take this seriously if I were you.

Pep

OP Offline
Thanks for the replies. The A that she had/is having must have been very stressful (it sure is for me!). My confrontation could not have been handled worse than I did it. As a result, it is not open for discussion at all (she lied, and I, grasping at straws allowed it as a way to save face when I saw some way out w/o D). I wonder if all the stress makes her flip out sometimes.

G
G
alex,
you are dealing with a serious problem, either menopausal symptoms that need treatment, a continuing affair (or guilt of the past one) or both.

You cannot possibly know the right thing to do or say until you know what you are dealing with.

1st-take the excellent previous advice and make her an appt. If she is suffering from medical symptoms she can get some releif.

2nd-insist on joint counselling to deal with the infedelity issue. This is NOT going to go away...

If the affair is over, it needs to be resolved, a NC letter sent etc. before recovery can begin.

The the affair is continuing, she must face the reality tyhat you know and deal with it as a couple.

At this point, you cannot deal with the issues at hand because you don't know what they are.

Help her help herself. Keep us posted, we care. Ladysing

Moderated by  Fordude 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Forum Search
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 218 guests, and 103 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Comfortable Shoe, Sourdine, Abela Laye, Ardent Center, Lost@1969
71,846 Registered Users
Building Marriages That Last A Lifetime
Copyright © 1995-2019, Marriage Builders®. All Rights Reserved.
Site Navigation